NEurope

Miyamoto on the New Mario

Bits:

With Super Mario Bros. the game turned into a single player experience, but on the DS the one thing we wanted to achieve with New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a side-scrolling experience that was easy for the new gamers, but would still satisfy the needs of the longtime Mario fans. But what we found in doing that was the balance was actually quite difficult.[/Quote]

We have made games like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, so we do have an interest in going online. With this kind of Mario game we wanted to focus on the living room experience. We could have made an online Mario game, but the effort and resources you devote to putting it online will result in sacrificing something else. This type of experience is better suited for the face to face, in the same room experience. Of course, in the future there's the possibility of exploring remote connectivity in a Mario game.

This one's my personal favorite (Miyamoto shows off a four player Yoshi level, World 1-3 where three characters ride a Yoshi and Luigi does not…and Luigi is used as a whipping boy to collect all the coins and power-ups by swallowing and spitting him out between Yoshis, never letting him touch the ground, so each killed enemy becomes a 1-up).

My perspective is that the business is, overall, a package-based business. Me personally, I need to have a physical product. Especially when it's a nice red package like this. (laughs)

Obviously people will buy a game and if they can play through to the end they'll do that. Some will buy a strategy guide, some will go online for hints, and all we've done is incorporate it in some way inside the game itself. We were able to create it for this game because we set out to make it specifically for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and I think it depends on the priorities for other titles whether it may or may not make it in those games. We can't really promise that it'll be in every game from now forward, but at the same time there are some types of gameplay that are suited to a system like this. We'll evaluate the titles on a case-by-case basis. Let's use Zelda as an example, introducing it opens up a Pandora's Box: do we solve the puzzles, do we show how to solve it in order to make them understand it, do we show the whole solution? It can be a difficult system, but we do see some value in it.

I thought it'd be nice to have her as a playable character, but the toad characters had a similar physique to a Mario character than Peach does. And if one of the four had a dress, we'd have to come up with a special programming to handle how the skirt is handled in the gameplay, and that's really the only reason why Peach isn't playable (laughs). Of course If we had Wario in there we'd have to program a way to make him fart. (laughs)

new screenshots

4015626846_ee307e98f0_o.jpg

4014862327_d3bdcf15c8_o.jpg

4015626904_e545ec682a_o.jpg

4014862733_e1fb38f814_o.jpg

4014862411_8e8a969e33_o.jpg

4015626348_27f7bde0c0_o.jpg

4015626168_06833dcfee_o.jpg

4015626690_16113cc64a_o.jpg

4014862835_0845c52a67_o.jpg

4014862233_2778cb765b_o.jpg

4015625892_6f10af6745_o.jpg

4014862587_8ef5f57b6a_o.jpg

4015626776_27e496bcf2_o.jpg

4014862145_748f9bd4ab_o.jpg

4014862061_164c1cbb28_o.jpg

4015625570_44ff657d8e_o.jpg

4015626616_45341610ab_o.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Ok SOLD! And it was just by the pics of the world map.

You don't have a Wii do you?

I'm pretty annoyed the game is £44.99 (and thus £34.99 online)...why's this game more expensive than all the others?!

I'm pretty annoyed the game is £44.99 (and thus £34.99 online)...why's this game more expensive than all the others?!

£29.99 at Gameplay :kiss:

they did exactly what i wanted the to do with the map.. A combination of super mario world and 3. brilliant.

Re-purchase :p Also miss my Brawl online and never got to try Pikmin2 wii.

looking good. heres hoping the save system isnt a shit as it was in NSMB

Ok, what's the problem with the save system of NSMB DS?

not that i find it a problem but I dont think you could save every single level

i cant remember exactly. but couldnt you only save ONE TIME if you paid/used something to goto those toad houses or if beat a castle? why must it be like that

I really don't get why a handful of people didn't like NSMB on the DS and apparently in turn this... I enjoyed it for what it was when it came out, an entertaining new 2D Mario Bros game with many cool throwbacks to the classic Mario games and a load of new stuff.

This seems to be that but bigger and better, so I fail to see the negative :p sure it'll never be as good as SMB3 or SMW but what is? :heh: anyway I can't wait for this, gonna be great fun. :)

Oh my lord. I think this looks like the greatest game in the world....

Now you're having a laugh, it's good but not that good... but each to their own etc.

Eddage think of all the multiplayer goodness we could have!

And that's the story of how I met your mother...

Not quite sure why everyone is loving the world maps. They look extremely plain and low-detail. Almost like they quickly did them at the last minute.

Nintendo Power scans:

npm.jpg

bbt_1.jpg

Not quite sure why everyone is loving the world maps. They look extremely plain and low-detail. Almost like they quickly did them at the last minute.

From the NP preview

Worlds to Explore

As in every side-scrolling Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 3, the stages in New Super Mario Bros. Wii are organized by maps—there’s one for each of the game’s eight worlds—which players move across like you would in a board game.

A world generally consists of a handful of regular stages, two castles (one at the middle of the map and one at the end), mushroom houses where minigames can be played for power-ups and 1-Ups, and special levels such as a Ghost House.

There are secret paths to discover by beating certain levels in different ways, wandering enemies who will trigger special fights, and canons that—if you can find out how to get to them—will warp you to later worlds.

This game’s world maps are very much like the ones in New Super Mario Bros. for DS , but they aren’t as rectangular and they expand in different directions with more creative layouts.

Another improvement over the DS title is the ability to stockpile as many of each type of item as you want by Bros by winning them in bonus games. On the map screen you can view your inventory at any time and simultaneously power up all players before trying a level. (However, you can no longer activate a stored item during a stage.)

Similar to the DS game, you’re allowed to fully save the game only upon beating a castle stage. However, you can now perform a Quick Save at any time, which can be used once to return to any spot where you left off. As long as you remember to always make a new Quick Save file before ending your game, the effect is the same as if you could save normally wherever you wanted.

Finally, the map screen is where players can jump in or out of the action. It’s all seamless; you never have to back out to the main menu or halt your game in any way.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

God that picture makes me want to play Mario 3 and Mario World all over again lol

New scans:

47098145.jpg

24028313.jpg

13929824.jpg

Hmm Iggy has green hair and different hair style than his rainbow colour hair like Lemmy.

Koopalings7.jpg

This must be the reason because people mistake him for Lemmy.

Always Iggy FTW!! look at him with his crazyness and rainbow hair!

Morton has black shell now than a yellow shell, Larry has a blue shell now instead of green shell.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost