NEurope

So yesterday I suddenly realised that I can't remember ANYTHING about this game so today I am going to try and play through it like I used to do with SMB3. Start to finish. Quick as possible.

I've been a bit harsh on the NSMB series. They feel a bit souless. Not very Mario. I think NSMB Mii is a joke, compared to how lush and original DKC Returns looked and played.

But that might just be my memory. I'LL REPORT BACK ON MY SECOND OPINION!

Not a fan of NSMB series either. Souless is a very apt description.

Had some friends round and we played 4 player this, it was amazing. I really love the game and the series, it then I'm a sucker for pretty much anything mario!

Well I overestimated my attention span and I only managed World 1. But I made sure I got all the big coins and did all the levels.

It's a bit better than I remember in terms of it feeling Mario-y. I think the problem with it is that in terms of the Mario universe, it feels like it takes it's inspiration more from the Mario Party / Sports Mix side of things, than being more original like the Galaxy games. In terms of design it has a very "that'll do" feeling to it.

Although I'm enjoying having the Koopalings back and also a lot of the Yoshi's Island references (Kamek and the Red Coins).

But I think too many call backs to the past can get dull, when I'm so familiar with the original games. I still wish this game was called NSMB 2 (rather than Wii) because it does feel too much like an expansion.

I finished NSMB (DS) but didn't get all the coins. In NSMB Wii I've played some co-op which can be pretty fun but just degenerates into a massacre too quickly. :laughing:

Wanna know how far I got in my own file? World 2. Yep. Couldn't motivate myself to play any more for some reason. I even wiped my file a while back thinking I'd enjoy it if I started afresh but nope, I just can't be bothered with it. ::shrug: I often think it would be cool to play the entire game in two player, like DKC.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was awesome in co-op. Not sure if it'd be as much fun alone, but I'm assuming it'd still be a lot better than New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. That game was really average and uninspired. :hmm:

Both were much better than Yoshi's Island DS though. I just think Donkey Kong Country Returns has really wiped the floor with them all in terms of rebooting retro gaming. Kirby Wii also looks good.

Yoshi's Island DS was awful. Anything's better than that. :p

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn both look great graphically, but I'm not a fan of either series (though admittedly I haven't played these two games specifically). They also seem a bit less fitting for co-op, with Returns being really difficult and Epic Yarn being too easy. For the next New Super Mario Bros. I want similar gameplay but the graphical flair of Nintendo's second-party platformers.

But most likely, we'll just get New Super Mario Bros. Wii with Miis. :blank:

The new Kirby game looks like more of the same. It'll probably be good/decent, but slow and easy as usual.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was awesome in co-op.

*spits out coffee*

I highly disagree. New super mario bros in co-op turns a skillful platformer into nothing better than a mario party mini-game. It's all accidental or intentional sabotage. I understand it can be hardi har har "you killed me" for the first 10 times, but it grates on you if you're ACTUALLY trying to get through the game. Donkey kong country returns does it a LOT better.

It could have been done SO much better. You should NEVER be able to bump into each other. The game should never STOP when one person dies, it puts you off. I could write a list about everything that's wrong with the co-op in new super mario bros...

I know it can be fun if you're not taking it as seriously as I would, but fuck it I could play Duke Nukem forever and have a blast even though it's shit too.

I think you take your co-op platformers way too seriously. :p

I got through the game just fine playing it with my brother. Yes, we accidentally killed each other quite a few times, but that's part of the fun when you're playing co-op and the game hands out 1-ups like they were candy, so it's not like the occasional accidental murder is really going to keep you from finishing the game.

I do agree that pausing the game for half a second whenever someone died was annoying, though, and it's something that should be fixed in the next game, but it hardly ruined the co-op.

Playing this game in multiplayer was the only thing that got me through to the end. If I wasn't playing with my brother, I'd have never bothered turning it on - we only played at his insistance.

Even though the control had been tightened and improved from the DS game, it still didn't feel great and the levels still felt pretty boring. The bumping thing was pretty stupid but the number of deaths it caused us was minimal.

Hamishmash is bang on when he calls it soulless.

DKCR on the other hand felt much better. Sure, it wasn't designed for multiplayer and it really does show in terms of the level design but the level design was on a whole other level compared to this... as was pretty much every other aspect of the game.

I don't get the harsh words you guys give the game. I found it rather fun and a great platformer, though admittedly not as good as DKCR. However, the co-op was just not fun but the coin mode was just plain great! It added a more competitive element to the game which suited it, unlike ordinary co-op.

The game was definitely better that NSMB for the DS which was a fun game, even though it might not be as charming as the old Marios. But then again, which games are?

Ok so just reading through this thread coz I am looking at playing this game from the start again.

I reached World 4 when I first played this game a good 8/10 months or so ago and then got bored.

Played some of it in co-op with Mike1988uk and thought it was ok but I like others, got bored of this game and had no want to go back and play it.

Now. I also have DKCR sat on the shelf in its plastic seal since Christmas. I understand this is criminal.

But part of me wants to play NSMB and finish it before I start with Donkey Kong.

I will let people know my thoughts towards the game a little later on. See if it manages to capture me like a Mario game should.

I reached World 4 when I first played this game a good 8/10 months or so ago and then got bored.

I will let people know my thoughts towards the game a little later on. See if it manages to capture me like a Mario game should.

When NSMB Wii came out I got to World 2. Got bored and stopped playing. After a while (like, a year +) I went back, was still bored and deleted my file to see if a fresh start would help. Seems as though the same thing happened me again! I fired it up earlier this week to find myself in World 2, with World 1 fully complete.

Maybe this game really comes to life with four competent players but I fail to see why it got a perfect 40 score in Famitsu. :woops: Like NSMB on DS, it felt really run of the mill to me for 80% of the game, with some nice ideas coming through in a couple of later levels. When it came out on GBA was the last time I played Super Mario World and its an absolute age since I played it on the Snes, but it was more imaginative than NSMB Wii, right? If this is nostalgia talking please tell me. Even the music, and I place a lot of importance on game music, was off in NSMB Wii. So repetitive. Was that also the case in the likes of Mario World? There was only one decent tune I thought in NSMB Wii, ironically for me, from the lava world.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I cannoned directly from World 6 to World 8 so maybe World 7 is where the really great stuff is waiting? ::shrug:

Like Resident Evil 5, New Super Mario Bros. Wii needs to be played in co-op.

But yeah, you can tell that Nintendo really isn't making an effort with the New Super Mario Bros. games.

Most likely already posted, but I happened to just come across this and having been looking at this thread recently I decided to put the two together;

Most likely already posted, but I happened to just come across this and having been looking at this thread recently I decided to put the two together;

The ending made me lol! (as in real lol, not fake lol most of us use when we find something funny but we don't actually lol) :D

B22DhlcIEAAgn_e.jpg:large

[TWEET]535228544000200704[/TWEET]

That figure of 10 million is for the U.S. alone. It released this month in 2009, so that's an average of 2 million a year. I think at this stage they'd take that figure for the lifetime of the Wii U version. Still it's a hugely impressive sales total and it's probably still selling today.

Hey! At least Nintendo have achieved one major sales milestone during this generation! :laughing:

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a great game. Unfortunately, like the rest of the 'New' series, I don't actually remember any specifics about this particular version compared to the others..

I'm playing a lot of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze at the moment and the unique qualities of each level and the character they exude means I'll probably be able to recall considerably more about it in the years to come, unlike this 10 Million seller! Having said that, I do think I'd like to play it again at some point :hehe: The penguin suits were awesome :heh:

I skipped owning Wii - but it's aptly appropriate because as any browsers of the General Sales thread will know - I've just picked up NSMBU! Watching TVs atm but I might have a bit of a crack on it later on this eve. Or OH SHIT I JUST REMEMBERED I CAN TOTES PLAY ON THE GAMEPAD WHILST I WATCH TV TOO.

Only I might not though, cos i remember when i first played a wii u i played nsmbu and found it actually artifacted a bit on gamepad which was weak, def not mirroring the TV quite as well.

EDIT: Scratch all, I always wondered but updates since(I played way back when) definitely improved the console/pad comms, it's looking banging.

Edited by Rummy

I sat and watched this last night.

Great viewing. It's crazy the tricks that people find in games in order to shave seconds off their times. I don't usually care for speed running but this is the type I do appreciate. It's not about finding glitches but rather being at the top of your game and playing perfectly for a set period of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I sat and watched this last night.

Can't go wrong with Summoning Salt.
Was super happy to see a new video from him in my feed. Gonna watch it soon :peace: 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's not about finding glitches but rather being at the top of your game and playing perfectly for a set period of time.

Not sure I agree with this line of thinking.

First of all, loads of games have a separated "No Major Glitches" category for speedrun records, precisely for those speedrunners who want to play a game as intended. Even in a famously glitchy game like Super Mario 64.

Secondly, you're giving the impression that a speedrun that involves glitches doesn't require consistent high level gameplay? In a lot of cases, these kind of glitches are harder to pull off then playing the game in a more standard way. Not always, but most of the time.

I played through Super Mario 64 on NSO when it dropped, but because I played it on 3D All-Stars quite recently, I didn't want to go through all of it, so I went for a 16 star run, which involves pulling off a few glitches to skip some star doors. It was a fun way to play through the game in a way I don't normally try. It kept things fresh.

Edited by Glen-i