NEurope

pix!

Huh. Didn't you just get sent a copy in the post from Nintendo?

Lord Tom Phillips is reviewing it, I'm sending it on. :)

WHo the hell is that?! Someone who doesn't bother with the site anymore bu still keeps all the free games?

Did you play it before sending it on?

WHo the hell is that?! Someone who doesn't bother with the site anymore bu still keeps all the free games?

Did you play it before sending it on?

Isn't Tphi the main man of the site now-a-days:bouncy:

:laughing:

That is quality. I shouldn't laugh, but I found that funny. It reminds me a little of having a lift from the headteacher of a school I was working at last week without knowing who she was.

Nintendo said they'd send me a review copy the other day too (as well as Zelda when it's out), so I hope it's the tinned one and it comes soon. :D

Do people just send Nintendo requests for games? Man I need to stop buying my titles from retailers...

Seriously, do half of our forumites work for websites?

Do people just send Nintendo requests for games? Man I need to stop buying my titles from retailers...

Seriously, do half of our forumites work for websites?

One of the perks of having a magazine editor as your fiancée. ;) Anyway, I still have to review it for her magazine.

The more hyped they get, the more likely it's to seem a disappointment

Just gotta look at archives from last year shortly after Brawl launch for that

Yep, thats about right, a great great great great example is easily Zelda: TP, it's easily still a great game and is as good, if not better then any other Zelda game out there.

But people expected everything in that game to be covered in Gold and well, people were disappointed and now declare it 'not as good' as the other Zelda's.

Oh yeah this game kicks ass, played 3 player and had so much fun, laughed so much with friends :D

*Sigh* Why can't more modern games (HD games included) make me laugh like this game >_>

i played this again yesterday 4 player co op, it was sooo much fun i could not stop laughing,one of the funniest things is when a toad gets killed and is stuck in the bubble and the wii mote talks in toads voice screaming saying save me lol.

its addictive and it gets quite a challenge as it goes on, we made it to world 3 or so before calling it a night after a couple of hours flew by,

awsome stuff cant wait to get my copy

Edited by yesteryeargames

I was going to have a Nintendo Christmas, with Mario Bros wii, Zelda: ST and Wii fit Plus being my gaming presents, but i must resist temptation from actually buying this myself! hehe...the whole family is round over Christmas and this would be perfect to start up on 4 player!

Wow! This video should be called pass the Luigi or Luigi the pinball. :o

Edited by Dante

Merhaba, Can someone send me media things (picture, render, fonts etc.) about this game for my review? I need them. (:

Thanks.

Edited by ShigeruTR

very good score. as a single player game it looks perfect.

Yeah indeed it does! I'm not really interested in multiplayer platforming so I'm pleased it should be a great game as single player!

Having soooooo much fun playing through this with the girlfriend :) A little worried about how long its going to take to clear though, looks a little quick. Still, fantastic fun :D

Gamer's Impressions:

It's /sew good/. It really is.

But here's the thing that sticks out to me that all the "pro" reviews have not mentioned one bit: this game could not have been done with sprites, and it does beat the pants off every previous Nintendo 2D platformer in one area: physics.

Plz examine what's happening when you play the game: notice that the characters feet actually change their angle when standing till to match the curved or sloped surface they're standing on. The game makes extreme use of freely rotating and scalling surfaces and platformers that interact with analog physics. It's essentially what LBP would have been if it had tighter physical interaction, ran at a rock solid 60fps, and the characters weren't as floaty.

Okay, here's why this is such a big deal, IMHO - this is allowing the desiginers to create supremely subtle platforming layouts and to play with precise angles and spacing, especially when there's multiple players taking up space. The very first world has courses with tons of interacting rotating gears, or blocks, or cubes, and tilting platforms. I've made /insane/ angle jumps, wall jumps, last minute saves, and hyper precise navigation of spikes, enemies, or hazards. And it all flows flawlessly; best control ever in a 2D platformer. Hell, you can tell the Mario Galaxy experience is going in to the design of the game. It also has the finest sense of physicality I've ever felt. The world feels hyper solid and real.

Btw, graphics: the graphics are really, really good, and IGN review (and others with the same tactic) are laughable for sputtering at how low tech they are. Newsflash: the backgrounds are full of 3D objects, and special effects. Got to world 2, and the desert background has depth of field, lighting, heatwaves, stylized streaks of clouds morphing across the sky, and more. It's just that, like tends to be Nintendo's style, it's all subtle and not overdone. Nothing distracts from the clarity of what's happening with the foreground. There's a huge amount of precise detail with character animations and the characters and enemies have tons of personality.

The one thing that really is debatable is the art style. World 1 seems to be, ironically, the most "tacky" as it follows the whole NSMB aesthetic on purpose, though the visuals, when you see them on a big screen, are still far superior to the DS game both technically and artistically. But world 2 onward are much prettier. Nintendo probably could have used an art style that seemed more exactly in line with SMB3 or SMW. So if the art bothers you, I see no beef there.

Level design is mindblowing though. World 1 already featured more intricate levels than most stuff in previous Mario games; only Yoshi's Island had levels this packed with details and mechanics so early in the game. The world 1 final castle, the one with the big gears you've all seen, struck me as one of the best Mario castles - and it's /the first one/.

Also, I should note that the game is actually really cool in how it keeps it simple, stupid, with story. There is /no/ out of game cut-scenes so far, not even a story scroll text or a few pictures. Much less a movie. Everything happens in-game from the regular player's side view or on the overhead map, yet there's a ton of nice little scenes including some big visual set-pieces, believe it or not - you'll see. The law with this game's development must have been: "keep as much as possible that's actively playing the game out of the way."

Challenge: played with 2 players all night. It's hard; it really is. You get 1ups like crazy but it always feels hard because we were dying a lot. The stages are packed and dangerous. If I was playing single player, I'm actually intimidated; in a sense, I suspect they balanced it right. Playing with multiple people is about the fun of playing together, not getting a game over screen constantly. Even so, when we got to world 2, we did fail out of a few courses totally.

Music: coin toss. The sound quality is actually good, and it's perfectly charming. It's probably not the finest Mario music ever, from what I've heard so far, though the castle music was very good.

Finally, yes, it's true, a criticism: like NSMB DS, they left out the post-level stats from Yoshi's Island. While collecting the star coins is more of a big deal here, both because of what the buy and what a full set unlocks, plus how well hidden they are, the Yoshi system of making flowers, red coins, etc, statistics on how well you perfected a level is still the best challenge balance in a Nintendo platformer. While NSMB Wii (or SMB5 if you prefer!) is far more engaging than NSMB DS in that regard, they really could have blown it out of the park with the Yoshi's Island system.

Must go play more.

One of the perks of having a magazine editor as your fiancée. ;) Anyway, I still have to review it for her magazine.

What magazine?

Thats is exactly. Only two new characters were left for us to find out about after launch. It was a joke :/

Yet somehow all these years later I've managed to stay spoiler free!

What magazine?

NEO. Look out for my review in the next issue! ;) (That is, of course, if they do send the game - still nothing arrived yet!)

Merhaba, Can someone send me media things (picture, render, fonts etc.) about this game for my review? I need them. (:

Thanks.

:'( Anybody can hear me?