NEurope

Although I will never actually have to use the Super Guide, it does actually sound like a really good idea for new-comers.

While I'm never going to use it, it is a good idea for newer players. Its something every bridge title should have.

The only thing I'd change, would be giving the player an option to not have the green block appear after dying so many times. I'm glad it at least forces people to try getting through on their own though.

The new trailer actually looks pretty fun. I don't want to bring it up again but I really see no reason as to why online could not have been incorporated. This would have been great with 4 player online and Wii Speak. It's not like it's a highly advanced game either, so I can't see them having much problems getting it online.

It's simply lazy.

I agree, bstmte. I mean, the excuse that there's too much going on screen at a time to transfer the bandwidth smoothly is a little silly. If Mario Kart can, then surely this.

I agree, bstmte. I mean, the excuse that there's too much going on screen at a time to transfer the bandwidth smoothly is a little silly. If Mario Kart can, then surely this.

Of course it can, and it's a real crying shame it won't have the option. Still, the thought of a new 2D Mario platformer on a home console is too good. I really hope Nintendo learns from this generation that online does mean a lot to a lot of people.

I don't mind friend codes, but it should be one code per console or per profile on a console rather than one person profile per game. What's more I don;t mind Wii Speak, but why not give the option of the headset for those who want it.

More details from Gonintendo:

- 8 worlds

- expect level maps with branching paths, much like NSMB on DS

- mushroom huts for power-ups

- mid-map fortress

- world-ending castle

- split-second pause for all characters when one dies has now been removed

- plot: Mario is saving Peach, who has been kidnapped by Bowser

- eat hammer bros. hammers with Yoshi

- rafts can sink if they have too many people on it, which is indicated by a number

- roller coaster level with a coaster made of bones

- start with 5 lives

- level will end if all 4 players die at the same time, even if other players have lives left

- tossing fire or ice attacks at your co-op friends doesn't hurt them

- tossing a barrel at co-op friends hurts them

- Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids are all enemies

- tons of hidden paths and coins

- there are a few special Toad-rescuing missions to save a toad. These missions will take place in already-cleared levels

- competitive multiplayer modes: Free For All and Coin Battle

- Free For All: see who can get the high score

- Coin Battle: collect the most coins

- multiplayer levels include stages from the co-op mode, as well as new levels

- one Coin Battle stage is a ghost house

- boos return

- another Coin Battle stage is based on 1-2 of Super Mario Bros.

STOP THE PRESSES!

- plot: Mario is saving Peach, who has been kidnapped by Bowser

:heh:

I'm very much looking forward to this, I've started playing New Super Mario Bros. DS again in anticipation.

I wish this woulnt have anything to do with new super mario bros but here we are.. I mean I hate that title music.

I wish this woulnt have anything to do with new super mario bros but here we are.. I mean I hate that title music.

Whilst the title music is a bit annoying - it was tolerable when it was new on the DS but not now... and not that version...

My biggest beef with it being based on NSMB is that that game has the worst run and jump mechanics of any 2D Mario game.

Whilst the title music is a bit annoying - it was tolerable when it was new on the DS but not now... and not that version...

My biggest beef with it being based on NSMB is that that game has the worst run and jump mechanics of any 2D Mario game.

actually funnily enough I think the controls were perfect. Some people were complaining that it felt floaty but it think that's simply because the character animations were more detailed.

I mean play the NES super mario bros now he feels like he's on ice.

No-one posted the hands-ons saying with the "Super Guide" it has let Nintendo to ramped up difficulty.

IGN Hands-On

The game does utilize more advanced visual tricks and techniques that just weren't possible back in the 8 and 16-bit days when the side-scrolling platformer design was in its prime. There are levels where you'll have to deal with enormous platforms that look like Tetris pieces that sloooooowly rotate, putting the characters' wall clinging and wall jumping abilities to use as they try to stay on top without falling off. There are levels with gigantic gears that rotate and you'll have to wedge your way between the "teeth" to advance through the hazards or to snag some of the coins wedged in there. In some of the desert stages you'll have to deal with geysers that blast waves of sand to climb, an effect that's clearly using some of the more advanced graphical effects of the Wii hardware. And, of course, the camera will zoom in and out of the action at specific points so the player or players can keep track of the levels in a wider view.

Even with the more capable hardware, the designers have kept the visual experience a bit of a low key one. It's almost hard to believe that most of the in-game elements are 3D, but keep an eye on things like the 2D-like polkadotted hills way off into the distance: even though they look like flat backdrops they're actually moving in perspective.

MTVBlog Hands-On

You see screenshots of "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii and you scoff. You've played dozens of Mario games in the past. You've rocked the whole "All-Stars" collection, you mastered the Japanese "Super Mario Bros. 2," you think you can handle just about everything. Well "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii is going to teach you a lesson in humility. It's really hard.

At a demo in New York City this week, Nintendo was showing off some of the new levels from the game. The first they dropped me in was level 8-7 and very near the end of the game. And it showed. You remember those ghost house levels from "Super Mario World" where you had to stay on the moving platform and it slowly chugged past ghosts and other obstacles? Ok, imagine that, but turn the platform into a slavering bone dragon and speed it up by about 3 times. Oh, and throw on three other homicidal friends who would rather jump on your head than let you make a perfectly timed jump. I went in expecting instant success, I left with zero lives and a lower sense of self worth.

Apart from the multiplayer, the difficulty seems to be the most striking thing about "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii. Completing some of the later levels on your first try is nearly impossible, and you'll probably end up blowing a large cache of lives on a single tricky jump.

And that's where the "Super Guide" comes in. Again, go ahead and scoff. I did. But with such a ramped up difficulty, it makes a lot of sense to let the computer handle the tricky bits for folks. After all, nothing makes you put down a game faster than dying 10 times on the same section. It seems like Nintendo has found a way around that issue.

It's because of the Super Guide that the developers were able to crank up the difficulty, knowing that they no longer needed to make the game for the lowest-skilled player. So you're left with what's arguably the most hardcore Mario game you've ever played. Starting to scoff a little less now, aren't you?

The game's set to drop in the middle of November (a mere week away from another super hardcore title: "Modern Warfare 2), but as far as same-system multiplayer experiences go this holiday season, "New Super Mario Bros." on the Wii is the most promising I've seen.

1Up Hands-On

The handful of stages we checked out from the game's first two worlds did a number of things we've never seen in a Mario game before. The underwater stage in particular boasted an unusually large number of enemies -- including screen-filling schools of Cheap-Cheaps -- and with them came new opportunities for interesting ways to play. The Ice Flower (borrowed and refined from Super Mario Galaxy) comes in handy underwater, as it allows enemies to be frozen, which causes them to float upward. If they hit a wall, the ice shatters, but in an open area the frozen fish will bob along the surface, pushing Mario upstream against air vents and creating impromptu platforms that can be used to access hidden items on the level's "ceiling." Freeze a sea urchin and the ice quickly shatters, but the cold puts the urchin to sleep, causing it to drift downward and potentially block vents or cover obstructions. In other stages, frozen enemies can be pushed along icy surfaces or lifted and thrown as weapons. Throw a frozen Dry Bones and you'll actually shatter and destroy the otherwise immortal skeleton turtles.

In short, New Super Mario Bros. Wii feels like the kind of game Nintendo fans have been clamoring for these past few years. It's very much a game in the classic mold, full of running and jumping and special powers and tricky traps and hidden secrets and Koopa Kids hiding in fortresses. Stages are bound together with a series of Super Mario Bros. 3-style world maps, just like in New Super Mario Bros. on DS, and players can choose among alternate routes, unlock hidden levels, and face off in minigames by bumping into enemies on the map screen. Yet despite the indelible appeal of classic Mario, NSMBWii also incorporates the philosophy of modern Nintendo by being extremely accessible and completely inclusive. Nintendo wouldn't show us the game's controversial "Super Guide" feature, which offers gameplay tips to people having trouble with the game, but the details we've heard from Japan suggest it's strictly advice rather than an instant-win button; a useful tool for inexperienced gamers rather than a simplistic cheat.

From the couple of hours I've spent with NSMBWii through various event appearances and closed-door showings this year, it strikes me as the single most effective marriage of old and new Nintendo you could ever hope for. A completely new Mario adventure with fresh ideas and the ability to play with any and everyone? No wonder everyone I know is quietly stoked about this game. Mario may not have the most hype of any game this holiday season, but something tells me that when the dust clears, it'll be the one game that everyone owns. And deservedly so; it looks genuinely, sincerely fantastic.

Edited by Dante

I am glad the difficulty has been ramped up. It has been so long since a Mario game has challenged me. I can't wait :)

I am glad the difficulty has been ramped up. It has been so long since a Mario game has challenged me. I can't wait :)

THIS! ^

The game is now sounding like a very solid single player experience, bring on November!

Okay, Im getting insanely excited about this now. My only worry about this super guide is YES, you only have to use it if you want it. But it just being there may be too tempting for some...

Great to hear the difficulty has been ramped up! Still feeling pissy about the lack of online but I just need to get over myself.

Sounds like it will be a fantastic single player experience too!

Okay, Im getting insanely excited about this now. My only worry about this super guide is YES, you only have to use it if you want it. But it just being there may be too tempting for some...

The thing is the guide only gets you through the level, if you want the secret stuff such as hidden paths/exits and secret coins you still have to find them yourself. These things are always tricky to find and now with the difficulty being raised im excited about the challenge it will offer. Maybe there will be some unlockable for not using the guide?

so nintendo are using the super guide to good use then. Great I hoped this would happen. Bring on the zelda one now.

Demo play has turned out really well, i'm incredibly pleased this will prove a decent challenge~ arguably Mario games have lacked this since Mario 64. Hopefully, all future games including Zelda and Galaxy 2 will include this too.

Edited by david.dakota

^ So much of this!!! Glad Nintendo seem to have found a way to cater to the casual and hardcore. I loved NSMB but it was definitely on the easy side as have been a lot of recent Nintendo titles. I've not bought a Wii game in probably almost 2 years but this might be the title to change that.

I seriously hope Destin (Hard News/Screwattack) wasn't right about the people who got to play the demo just sucking at games in general.

Either way, its been a long wait for more 2D Mario on home consoles, as long as this turns out to be decent at all I'm sold.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I don't really think this will be a very good 1 player game for you solitary video gamers out there.

It will be one hell of a game for a 4 player storm though. Kinda like Zelda 4 swords.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I don't really think this will be a very good 1 player game for you solitary video gamers out there.

It will be one hell of a game for a 4 player storm though. Kinda like Zelda 4 swords.

thats what i thought, but then i read that MIYAMOTO said it was originally built as a single player game, and they added the 4 player poop at the end

Annoying as hell... Just like Nintendo of present to not follow through and make its games the best that it could be. I mean, am I really being too picky or greedy by EXPECTING an online multiplayer in such a game? Christ.

This will probably be the game that I play around Christmas time. I know many people just didn't like NSMB on the DS, but I loved it. As far as I was concerned, we received an awesome DS game, then a magical Wii one in such a short space of time. It's somewhat of a golden period, hehe.