NEurope
Dyson

Halo: Reach

Apparently it's going to be live from late morning PDT... Which should mean around 8pm tonight for us.

Anyone know how big the download clocks in at?

Anyone know how big the download clocks in at?

1,5 GB I think.

I want a beta key :(

Never heard of that desease. :blank:

After I played Halo 3 for a while I haven't been interested in the series until Reach popped up and now I won't pay for a beta key :p

Sucks that people were exploiting the ExpertZone website, meaning people like meeeee can't get one now. I have the card and everything :(

I have ODST and have never really played it after quickly being unimpresse by it. Here's hoping this makes up for that :3

I always kind of sucked at Halo though

Same. I thought it was really lame. (Although it might have been down to having played it after Uncharted 2)

But I do love Halo.

The Beta is now live. Can download it now (I've got it downloading as I speak and it's by no means a fast download but it's not super slow. About average speed really for the size of file). Clocks in at 1.15 GB.

The Beta is now live. Can download it now (I've got it downloading as I speak and it's by no means a fast download but it's not super slow. About average speed really for the size of file). Clocks in at 1.15 GB.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just started it myself.

EDIT 31% in about 20 minutes, not too bad.

83% now.

Edited by Nolan

Finished about 10 minutes ago. Now sitting in Matchmaking watching it lazily flash Playlist data pending download.

Ugh:

The Halo Reach server is not available. Please try again later.
Edited by Nolan

Downloaded it, played a couple of matches, so far so Halo. It definitely plays like the other Halo games, with even the new skill set powers feeling very much like they could have been in earlier games. So a little disappointed but it doesn't help that the matchmaking is so far limited to 3 game types: Team Slayer, Grab Bag and Free-For-All. I guess they'll switch on the other modes tomorrow or something as it says it's the pre-season at the moment.

It is noticeably better visually. Booted ODST up before playing and you can clearly see that Reach is much better. Bit of a motion blur effect going on in some instances I saw, such as doing a melee attack or when you're under fire and grenades are going off. I'm wondering if that's because I was in the Stalker skill set.

Played a few matches. It's Halo, but a bit better. Nothing particularity amazing in terms of gameplay or graphics.

I've only seen one level (nobody seems to vote for the second one I've seen) and Grab Bag (one flag) on it is terrible. It's way too easy to defend the flag. I'm enjoying (and doing pretty well at) general ffa/team deathmatches.

Played a few matches. It's Halo, but a bit better. Nothing particularity amazing in terms of gameplay or graphics.

I've only seen one level (nobody seems to vote for the second one I've seen) and Grab Bag (one flag) on it is terrible. It's way too easy to defend the flag. I'm enjoying (and doing pretty well at) general ffa/team deathmatches.

I saw Teamslayer get voted in instead of 1 flag, and it didn't load so the game booted us back to the vote and 1 flag wen in...on Powerhouse I think.

Did a Grab bag, which became an oddball game, came 3rd but the 2 who finished higher were some distance away. Then I played ranked team Slayer, team lost that 48-50. I had a period where I was beating the entire enemy team and got a killing frenzy, no-one else came close to that kinda streak which in itself was satisfying, even though after that I went downhill. For a beta, it's pretty sweet and things feel more fluent than 3. Overall things feel like an improvement.

Tried to play it when I got in from the pub last night, after waiting ages for it to download the playlist update I got greeted with a message saying the servers were unreachable or something so I just gave up. Will try later on today when it's a bit quieter.

I had a couple of games yesterday. It was just the same old thing to me, with the buttons moved around. And I couldn't figure out how to do an assassination nor could I find any jet packs, so it was the same Halo but with a blurry effect when you change weapons.

I had a couple of games yesterday. It was just the same old thing to me, with the buttons moved around. And I couldn't figure out how to do an assassination nor could I find any jet packs, so it was the same Halo but with a blurry effect when you change weapons.

I'm not sure about the assassinations, either. They also seem pointless - the punch in the back is still an instant kill, and doesn't leave you vulnerable for five seconds.

The jetpacks are in the Slayer Arena game type - you need to select the bottom loadout.

the assassinations are a melee from behind- only you hold the button down. Tapping it gets the kill, but holding it is tea-bagging 2.0

and Jetpacks are in the loadout menu- though not every ability is available in every gametype.

This game is the tits. It's absolutely awesome. Won't win over many new fans I suspect but, frankly, I don't care at all. For me and my regular crowd it's a perfect upgrade- rebalanced, expanded and refined from the classic formula that we like. There's loads of new stuff going on that's changed a great deal of the game for us, and that's what counts.

2 maps and hardly any modes and this absolutely pissses on Modern Warfare 2 :love::love:

Let me begin by saying jetpacks are amazing, guards are annoying, scouts are amazing in certain situations and the hunter can go fuck himself in his invisible ass. Sword Base is a fantastic map and the other one (The name eludes me.) is alright too, some modes just destroy my smile on it. Especially the one where you have to collect the neutral flags and bring them back to your base.

The game is really growing on me despite my best efforts to not suck at it. I was initially very annoyed at the changes like the 1mm range beatdown, combined with the awkwardness of the shield. They've further gimped the Battle Rifle too. Is it a running joke at Bungie to make it worse with every release? Grenades are suped up now too, jesus. It used to be a well placed grenade and shoot... now it's just a grenade remotely close to the opponent and boom.

In all honesty I was pretty much bitching constantly about the imbalances at first, but as I grow used to them it isn't such a big deal. I guess it just needed a few days of adjustment. I'm curious to see what the other maps and playlists will bring but I gotta admit I'm day one with this thing at the moment.

My numero uno complaint is the Pistol is way too strong. Needs to be less accurate from right across the map or a non-spawn weapon. Way too deadly for someone like me with the "wobbly aim". This is once again just me bitching because I suck.

Agreed with Dan Dare up above. This pisses all over Modern Warfare 2.

If any of you have yet to play it check out Headhunters in Free-For-All. It's fantastic fun. Easily my favourite game mode after 1 flag CTF on Sword Base.

Edited by Guy

2 maps and hardly any modes and this absolutely pissses on Modern Warfare 2 :love::love:

Halo seems to be a community/social online game, wheras MW2 is competitive and serious. Which is why I prefer Halo.

guards are annoying

Wait a few seconds and chuck a grenade at their feet, Their power will run out the moment it explodes, leaving them with no hope of surviving.

As for the battle rifle, I'm pretty effective with it. Whereas I was useless with the one in Halo 3.