NEurope
Dyson

Halo: Reach

I'd quite like them to take a couple of ideas from Nuts & Bolts (even though it wasn't made for multiplayer, it had a great online system). Such as having the party lobby as a playground to mess around in while waiting, and the option to "opt-out" of a game without leaving the party.

Yeah it looks ridiculous

graphics are ace already and Bungie have said that the engine isn't running full speed yet so that's cool.

Gameplay wise, it's looking incredibly tight. There's always been a couple of issues with weapon balance in halo in that the mid range weapons - pistol, then the BR, have tended to dominate far too much. The DMR (single shot rifle) looks like it won't dominate quite so much because it's 5 shot kill if 5 is a headshot which is 1 up from before. Hopefully this will bring it in line with some other guns and remove the need for that one essential starting weapon. Should be excellent.

I'm starting to get pretty excited for this after reading Kotaku's preview of the beta earlier. I may have to grab a copy of ODST to get in on this.

hand-painted

Eh?

I wouldn't spend money on that crock but hey.

Eh?

I wouldn't spend money on that crock but hey.

They may be hand-painted, but it's by McFarlane Toys and their models/sculptures/toys usually look incredible, so I'm going for it! ^^

They may be hand-painted, but it's by McFarlane Toys and their models/sculptures/toys usually look incredible, so I'm going for it! ^^

Hand painting is a good thing, I'm just saying that for such a product it's quite surprising. Supply must be low, or that's really cheap and efficient labour.

At least these Spartan designs are a bajillon times more interesting than Master Chief. Still, they're not (IMO) interesting enough for use as figurines. Definitely not at that price.

The aliens in Halo have always been miles better, design-wise.

There'/s a new short film coming:

Brace yourselves for a riveting glimpse into one of the darkest secrets of the “Halo” universe. This week is the premiere of “Birth of a Spartan,” a live-action short directed by award-winning director Noam Murro. Airing on multiple U.K. and U.S. TV networks and also showing in cinemas across North America, “Birth of a Spartan” is a stirring depiction of the transformation of Carter 259, the future leader of Noble Team in “Halo: Reach,” from an ordinary young man to a superhuman Spartan warrior.

The highly classified bio-augmentation procedure is a Spartan candidate’s final and most difficult ordeal before joining the ranks of the legendary soldiers. The dramatic interpretation of Carter’s rebirth as a Spartan embodies the themes of courage, sacrifice and honor in “Halo: Reach” and gives viewers a unique look into the origins of a central character in the upcoming blockbuster game.

The 60 second ad short premieres in the U.K. on Tuesday, April 27 via Sky Sports 2 at the full time whistle of the Champions League semi-final between Lyon and Bayern Munich. Watch it live or on demand on Sky Player, Sky’s online TV service on Xbox 360 via Xbox LIVE. And if you miss it, catch it again on Wednesday 28th April on ITV 1 after the Champions League Semi Final between Barcelona vs Inter Milan. The short will also air on multiple shows across sixteen other U.K. and U.S. TV networks, including Comedy Central, Spike TV, Bravo, FX, TNT and TBS.

The short will be available on http://www.welcometonobleteam.com on Tuesday, April 27 at 5.00 am GMT. In addition to being able to view the short, users can also upload a photo of themselves and get an image created of them as a Spartan III. On the following day a special, extended two minute 30 second version will be available for download on Xbox LIVE exclusively for Gold members. The ad short will also premiere on April 28 in cinemas across North America in select theaters with screenings through the opening weekend of “Iron Man 2” and concludes on May 13.

Damn, I was going to see Iron Man 2 on the opening weekend but someone had to go and arrange their wedding on that weekend. How selfish can you get.

What a total bastard thing to do.

edit: 35 mins of footage

Footage from Bungie themselves:

Luke Smith is pretty fucking good at Halo, as you'd imagine for a lead designer.

Best footage yet by miles. Actually shows what Reach is going to feel like for people who aren't really, really shit (seriously, how are journalists so bad when they play games for a living?)

If only there was a way around playing this without needing a 360, or a decent PC. (I'd rather play on consoles)

You can just tell it's been made by people who love games, and more importantly know how to design them. Reach looks really innovative, but in really subtle ways. Gyah, I need to hope Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 are bloody good.

If only there was a way around playing this without needing a 360, or a decent PC. (I'd rather play on consoles)

You can just tell it's been made by people who love games, and more importantly know how to design them. Reach looks really innovative, but in really subtle ways. Gyah, I need to hope Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 are bloody good.

I doubt it's coming to PC, or at least not anytime soon. Halo 2 took 3 years, and no such plans for Halo 3 have been mentioned. Likely since Halo 2 wasn't terribly well received. Reach coming to PC is a longshot.

did you get a code? Gratz

Tied The Lead are running a live stream over here if anyone's interested.

Seen some sick stuff on there and they're not even great players. Abilities rock.

Yeah, I spent a few hours playing this last night and it's fairly hard to say anything other than Reach is a lot of fun. I can see my weekend being split fairly evenly between this and Wario Ware DIY if I get it today.

Feels very different to Halo though. It's an entirely new experience. Sadly all the elite kids are on there early at the moment and keep whupping my ass.

I got a code by being awesome.

Jet Packs are super duper fun. I also got the Starcraft 2 Beta yesterday. So I bless 29th of April 2010 as Super Beta Thursday Fun!

I got one from a friend on NeoGaf who was able to cheat them out of a Microsoft online service or something. I hear they're willing to trade codes for stuff on there like Pokemon.

I'm feeling kind so I'll post the method, but I doubt it works anymore.

Halo Reach BETA KEY Trick

I love the Guards most at the moment, although the Jetpack is immensely fun. I think I'll eventually start using the jetpack ones more as flying is cooler than punching the ground and shielding.

Of the new maps the vertical one is the least fun, the outdoor being the most. Playing as Elites has so far been annoying as hell, all they do is roll like morons.

I think the roll ability is actually the coolest of the bunch, and I can see it being bloody useful. Especially for awesome kills and dodges.

I have ODST why yet don't see a way to get this...

I have ODST why yet don't see a way to get this...

Monday man, it's public beta on Monday. Through the news section of the main menu

Monday man, it's public beta on Monday. Through the news section of the main menu

Ahh I see. Cool :)