NEurope
Dyson

Halo: Reach

Much as I didn't like ODST, that trailer has me a bit excited. Will be very interested to see how it turns out. Personally I think Halo as a series is overrated. The multiplayer is always excellent (and very innovative) but the single player campaigns for me have always just been good. Except the first game, that was truly excellent. Here's hoping this campaign will be as good as the first one.

Leaked Reach Beta Trailer:

Looks much more fluid than Halo 3.

That's a bad thing? It does look slightly better anyway.

To be honest, Halo stopped being all about the graphics after the first game. The series has staying power because the mechanics are just so solid.

Looks the same as Halo 3 to me, but with jet packs.

I think the faster pace is miles better than any graphical improvements.

Clearly going for more players, too. The scale looks colossal.

Sprinting, jet packs and commando rolls all say large scale combat to me. This is going to kick so much ass.

That looks awesome. Seriously looking forward to it.

That new BR type weapon which is single-fire (what's the proper term?) looks amazing. Can't wait to try it out!

Reminds me of Red Faction: Guerilla. In a good way; the multiplayer in that is secretly fantastic.

yeha that's right.

Some great looking changes in that vid:

Needler is now the replacement for the carbine. This is awesome.

Fuel Rod seems to have become a sticky grenade launcher, and some kind of equivalent to the Spartan Laser or Rockets.

The new Ar/Br look fantastic. Much meatier and lethal, espcially the AR. I hope it has a little more range. I'd like to see the SMG as the real close range scenery chewer.

The new Ar/Br look fantastic. Much meatier and lethal, espcially the AR. I hope it has a little more range. I'd like to see the SMG as the real close range scenery chewer.

I doubt you'll see the SMG make an appearance given that there's no dual-wielding in Reach. I'm guessing the BR won't be making a return either given the new DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) and return of the overpowered pistol.

I still stand by my original page 1 prediction of a more Battlefield-esque direction, although evidently I was completely wrong about there not being a campaign to speak of!

A single SMG should still be a good close-range rapid-fire weapon.

Bolt-action?

I think you mean semi-automatic.

Bolt-action is where you physically have to pull back the firing mechanism each time, WW2 weapons.

I think it must be semi-automatic.

Semi-automatic is where the gun reloads a round straight away, but you can't hold the trigger down to keep firing, so I think that's what you mean. I loved those kinds of rifles in WW2 games like Medal of Honor so I'm looking forward to that :) just the right amount of Pop!

Bolt-action is where you physically have to pull back the firing mechanism each time, WW2 weapons.

I think it must be semi-automatic.

I thought he meant where you fire it once and then have to reload/pull back. There's still modern bolt-action guns around. Semi automatic is the kick back and then re-fire, which I much prefer.

As promising as this looks ODST bored me to tears. I only got an hour or so into it before leaving it.

As promising as this looks ODST bored me to tears. I only got an hour or so into it before leaving it.

Halo is all about the multiplayer. As far as I'm concerned, the single player was just a bonus on top of the multiplayer.

I haven't thought once about the campaign mode in this game.

Halo's campaigns are the best around by virtue of their stunning AI and the co-op.

It's just generally by far the best shooter imo. Campaign, like you say, wipes the floor with the likes of COD and multiplayer is so far ahead of the pack that nobody even tries to keep up anymore. It's absolutely amazing.

Shacknews have posted the first details of the Halo: Reach online system, and an interview detailing the new 'arena' mode.

It sounds fantastic. Genuine progression from Halo 3, and a concentrated effort to deal with the problems in the Halo community that have damaged Halo 3 so severely over time. This game really looks like it'll keep me playing for as long as the 360 is going...