NEurope
Dyson

Halo: Reach

The Covenant don't speak English. "Wort, wort, wort" is back!

Apart from the 4-player online/split-screen co-op, the voice acting is probably the best thing about Halo 3/ODST's campaign. So many great quotes.

All of a sudden this feels like a serious game and not a fun one.

All of a sudden this feels like a serious game and not a fun one.

The entire game's about fighting a battle you're destined to lose, it's only natural for it to skew a little more serious.

That said Bungie have always had elements of humour in their games, I can't see them stopping now. The Grunts spoke English in the first game so I'd assume they'll continue to be the comic relief, and you'll still be fighting alongside marines who've always had the best dialogue.

Dumb question but... I guess you're not playing as a Spartan? One thing I hated about ODST was that you were supposed to be a regular human, but you could jump over a jeep in a single leap, or flip it over with one hand.

Dumb question but... I guess you're not playing as a Spartan?

I think you're a squad of Spartans.

It's a squad of Spartan III's cheaper and not as good as a Spartan II, but still better than marines.

Can anyone buy me a 360? Really, really want to play that game.

Yeah sure i will go and buy you one now. :indeed:

Can anyone buy me a 360? Really, really want to play that game.

You need to get a friend to get a 360, that way you'll have access to whatever 360 exclusives you want and (assuming they don't have a PS3) they'll get access to the PS3 exclusives. It's the perfect plan.

God this looks good. The engine is just so improved beyond what 3 managed.

ahhh want want want!

Did they show the new sniper at all in that vid? Wanna see how they much better it looks

I just don't like the series. Halo was okay, a little generic; hated Halo 2 + 3. This looks pretty good though I won't hold my breath... Let's hope I'm surprised!!

How was Halo generic? It introduced vehicles to FPS, expansive open worlds, had graphics above and beyond anything available at the time, incredibly unique weapons (Needler, overheating Plasma rifle) and best of all, a smooth co-operative experience - alongside a pretty cool story supported by some stellar voice acting. If you don't like it fine but I don't see how it was generic, it didn't feel like any other FPS before it.

Whilst that all might be true, Shorty, I think you'll find that "space marines! lol"

The design of EVERYTHING in the game is painfully generic. And the story. It was just extremely bad, unoriginal sci-fi. I didn't mind the game that much though, as, especially at that time, it was still common that games were pretty lacking in that area.

How was Halo generic? It introduced vehicles to FPS, expansive open worlds, had graphics above and beyond anything available at the time, incredibly unique weapons (Needler, overheating Plasma rifle) and best of all, a smooth co-operative experience - alongside a pretty cool story supported by some stellar voice acting. If you don't like it fine but I don't see how it was generic, it didn't feel like any other FPS before it.

...or since. Halo is still far and away the most technically advanced shooter series in terms of AI and design.

The design of EVERYTHING in the game is painfully generic. And the story. It was just extremely bad, unoriginal sci-fi. I didn't mind the game that much though, as, especially at that time, it was still common that games were pretty lacking in that area.

What other game(s) did Halo mimc at the time of it's release?

...or since. Halo is still far and away the most technically advanced shooter series in terms of AI and design.

AI most certainly, design....idk Halo 3 has some rather tedious decisions for levels towards the end, and throughout cortona/gravemind talking was terrible. ODST was grand though.

BTW the beta hits in the beginning of May. The 5th I think...dunno nothing about regions.

My buddy was bored and posted a bunch of Gifs from the Vidoc. Dunno if he made them or not.

mbmwaw.gif

2nu7pg9.gif

2s1vvqr.gif

2jdmdqa.gif

2ihpl3r.gif

v4xnjp.gif

a1tt1g.gif

2wpusqp.gif

ncxvgo.gif

281dmv5.gif

206bzut.gif

Wow from that youtube video this does look really good!

I've never played the series, always wanted to try Halo 1, but now I feel it'll be too dated to fully enjoy, and Halo 2 & 3 never excited me all that much.

But I'd be very interested in playing this! It kinda feels like a fresh chance for those who haven't played the previous games, but I guess you will miss out on a good few story references!

Question though: what on earths happened in the last 2 years or so to allow for them to push this game SO much futher than Halo 3???... the way they'd talk, you'd think we were on the next generation of consoles! If I were really into the series I'd probably be a little dissapointed Halo 3 didn't get this production!

Question though: what on earths happened in the last 2 years or so to allow for them to push this game SO much futher than Halo 3???... the way they'd talk, you'd think we were on the next generation of consoles! If I were really into the series I'd probably be a little dissapointed Halo 3 didn't get this production!

Development tools get better, they're more comfortable with their engine and know what to change about it, plus they now know what to avoid. For instance Halo 3's implementation of HDR lighting came at a huge cost — the game ran at a sub-HD resolution with no anti-aliasing — so doing that one thing differently can have positive knock on effects elsewhere.

As machines mature people get much better at harnessing their power, focus shifting from, "Get this bloody thing running!" to, "What new tricks can we make this thing do?" This is one of the more compelling arguments for longer hardware generations; compare a launch PS2 game to titles like God of War II or Shadow of the Colossus and it really is night and day.

To my knowledge I think Halo 3 may have been started on the Xbox, which means it would be a bit of a port rather than fresh start. They're also more familiar with how the system works, just look at how the PS3 games have progressed as developers began to understand.

Of note though, Halo 3 had quite a lot going on under the hood to reduce the graphics. On Legendary no battle will play out the same twice because of the AI. There is also the theater constatly recording every time you play. Missions and multiplayer, and when you watch the films, you can watch what's going on from anywhere you are not restricted to masterchief.

With that going on in the background, it's understandable that the game wasn't the best looking. Even so, it wasn't even bad looking outside of fanboy opinions.