NEurope
Dyson

Halo: Reach

Please please PLEEEAAASEE release new maps. QUICK!

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Not nearly enough and most of them are, to say the least, average to poor. I mean, none of them are anyway near the awesomeness of The Pit, Guardian, Contruct or Valhalla. Some of the weapon placements are pretty thoughtless as well. Most big maps have lots of vehicles, but there are no anti-vehicle weapons to be seen! I think only one map has the Spartan laser in it. They didn't think about some of the spawns either. BTB Boneyard for example, the red team spawns in the middle of the open with no cover, while the blue team get easy access to the middle building and the main base. I played a game of SWAT as red team and I was getting so horribly pinned down it wasn't funny.

Speaking of gametypes, why oh why do they have Snipers and SWAT in the Team Slayer playlist? I like those games from time to time, but they come up every game! Team Objective is worse, instead of awesome gametypes like Flag, Bomb and Oddball (which in my opinion should appear 90% of the time) we're forced to play Headhunter and Stockpile.

I love Halo, but they've made some bad decisions with Reach.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Not nearly enough and most of them are, to say the least, average to poor. I mean, none of them are anyway near the awesomeness of The Pit, Guardian, Contruct or Valhalla. Some of the weapon placements are pretty thoughtless as well. Most big maps have lots of vehicles, but there are no anti-vehicle weapons to be seen! I think only one map has the Spartan laser in it. They didn't think about some of the spawns either. BTB Boneyard for example, the red team spawns in the middle of the open with no cover, while the blue team get easy access to the middle building and the main base. I played a game of SWAT as red team and I was getting so horribly pinned down it wasn't funny.

Speaking of gametypes, why oh why do they have Snipers and SWAT in the Team Slayer playlist? I like those games from time to time, but they come up every game! Team Objective is worse, instead of awesome gametypes like Flag, Bomb and Oddball (which in my opinion should appear 90% of the time) we're forced to play Headhunter and Stockpile.

I love Halo, but they've made some bad decisions with Reach.

Well said. My main issues with Reach mirror yours:

- Map design is not nearly as good as Halo 3. Guardian, Pit, Valhalla were 3 incredible maps that really need to introduced into Reach.

- SWAT should be it's own gametype - I used to spend most of my time on SWAT on Halo 3 and managed to get to level 49 (so close!).

- Scorpion tanks can fuck off.

- Paradiso is turd. It's way too big and unbalanced and sparse.

- Boneyard like you said is horribly unbalanced. Red Team are sitting ducks. The only good game I've had on that level from Red Team side was a 19-0 SWAT game, other than that i've found it very difficult to post a decent score consistently.

- Valhalla to me was perfect. The man cannon into the middle of the map to

battle to control the hill and acquire the laser was awesome. It felt like all of the map was used and had a purpose. Unlike in Paradiso with the buillding in the middle that sees little action.

I BET you don't have the temerity to say that when you see mine and Rez' Unch montage. Just you dare bled, just you dare.

Plus, you're missing an apostrophie (sp?lulz) and an 'e'.

Finally picked this up today. Thought i'd somehow skipped a mission as the achievements for completing missions start at mission 2?

Stopped when i got to mission 6. So far i'm enjoying it after a bit of a slow start with that first mission it seems to be really picking up.

Finally picked this up today. Thought i'd somehow skipped a mission as the achievements for completing missions start at mission 2?

Stopped when i got to mission 6. So far i'm enjoying it after a bit of a slow start with that first mission it seems to be really picking up.

Whats your gamertag? PM me it if your up for some co-op/online multiplayer

About half way through on Legendary now, I'm up to the low gravity part. So far its not too hard, just taking my time and utilising my invincible team mates usually gets the job done. Its certainly a lot easier than CoD: World at War on Veteran. That shit blew my mind.

I've never really been into Halo, but I am planning to pick this up and sort myself some Live. Rather soon, too. Anyone know the cheapest place to get it atm? Someone's promising to sort me a deal on both but I'm gonna keep looking elsewhere in the meantime in case he doesn't come through. I've never not been into Halo, but now seems the time to check it out.

Started my run through on Legendary on either Wednesday or Thursday (I don't remember which). Going slowly through it, so far getting up to Tip Of The Spire. There's a noticeable step up in the enemy AI from Heroic to Legendary but is it really harder?

I wouldn't say it's harder, it just forces you to be much more tactical when approaching a group of enemies because of how quickly you can die (although I'm still not seeing how an Elite can get a one hit melee kill when I have full shields and health ::shrug:). Saying that though, I can see the space mission and the final mission itself being nightmares to finish just because of how many swarms of enemies appear in these levels. Were hard enough on Heroic.

Whats your gamertag? PM me it if your up for some co-op/online multiplayer

I'll post it in my sig after i finish the campaign so it's there. I don't play much online but sure, i'll probably be up for some sometime.

I don't know if this has been posted but I have just heard that Master Chief is visible at the end of the game if you pan right at one of the cutscenes.

Here's a list of updates that are dropping on Tuesday.

Here’s what you can expect when we pull the trigger:

Team Slayer

SWAT is taking one in the face (being removed) and the weighting for all other gametypes will be adjusted to fall in line with voting data. Expect – surprise, surprise – more traditional Slayer offerings to appear.

Team SWAT

SWAT gametypes that are removed from other playlists are being incorporated into their own, unique playlist with adjustments made to modes and maps based on voting data (farewell SWAT on Hemorrhage, you sucked and everybody hated you).

Team Objective

Powerhouse will now feature several more gametypes, including 1 Flag and Stockpile. Because Powerhouse is awesome and we don’t get to play it enough.

Multi Team

Rocket Race is being added. You win by staying on the Mongoose and racing to the checkpoints. (Oh, who am I kidding, you’re just going to hop off and try to assassinate people, aren’t you?)

Big Team Battle

SWAT and Classic are being removed and the frequency of Snipers is being reduced based on – you guessed it – voting data.

Arena Doubles

Boardwalk and “Pro†options are both being removed. Default Zealot is being replaced with Arena Zealot, a map variant which features modified initial player spawns and a soft-kill zone in spaaaaaace.

Team Arena

“Pro†options are being removed. Arena Zealot (details above), is being added.

Score Attack

Credit earn rates for Gruntpocalypse are being reduced to fall more in line with other modes.

Another update will come later this month.

The second salvo for October will include the fix to the current betrayal booting system, bringing it back in line with Halo 3 (three strikes and you’re out), and it will also introduce some significant changes to the Firefight experience, including the removal of friendly fire. Also on the way, a proper Team Snipers playlist, the possibility of a radar-less “Pro†experience in Season 3 of Arena, and more love spread out over all of our offerings, with a strong focus on Rumble Pit and Multi Team (all barring any unforeseen issues).

Already mentioned and still planned is the introduction of Campaign Matchmaking and some substantially awesome changes to the Firefight Matchmaking experience, the latter by way of cooperative multiplayer maestro, Larzy B. We’ll talk more about these updates next week.

Long story short, we’re evaluating all of our playlists and we’re acting fast to make sure feedback from voting data and the community-at-large is being evaluated and implemented.

Im not happy that they are nering Gruntpocalypse AGAIN. It's my main source of CR. :( I'm gonna try get as much CR off it as I can today, before the nerfing happens tomorrow.

I am happy that they are finally giving SWAT and Snipers their own playlist. Getting these game types constantly is what stopped me playing the multiplayer in the first place. I just want to play normal Slayer type games, I need my shield!

WOOOO YEAH

Just completed this on legendary difficulty... by myself!!!

is Pillar of autumn near impossible on Legendary?

that's the last mission i've got to do, im not really looking forward to it.

is Pillar of autumn near impossible on Legendary?

that's the last mission i've got to do, im not really looking forward to it.

It was hard yeah but i actually found some of the other missions harder. (im not sure if this is coz i had really got used to the diffculty and taking my time etc)

Some of the areas you can skip a bit, like there is one part when your in a open area and there is 2 defence turrents firing at u, if you take a route way above up some staircases u can skip a lot of them. The part with 2 hunters you can jump/crouch through the window to skip them.

The last area i kept a spartan laser for (found the area of the defence turrets on the high up route i mentioned) and left the sniper rifle to deal with the elites at the end.

When you get to the cannon at the end, i recommend taking out the elites first (with said sniper rifle) but when your at the cannon just hide behind it, you will take damage from the ships but you shouldn't die and then when your told to 'shoot now' jump up and fire away! Job done!

It was hard yeah but i actually found some of the other missions harder. (im not sure if this is coz i had really got used to the diffculty and taking my time etc)

Some of the areas you can skip a bit, like there is one part when your in a open area and there is 2 defence turrents firing at u, if you take a route way above up some staircases u can skip a lot of them. The part with 2 hunters you can jump/crouch through the window to skip them.

The last area i kept a spartan laser for (found the area of the defence turrets on the high up route i mentioned) and left the sniper rifle to deal with the elites at the end.

When you get to the cannon at the end, i recommend taking out the elites first (with said sniper rifle) but when your at the cannon just hide behind it, you will take damage from the ships but you shouldn't die and then when your told to 'shoot now' jump up and fire away! Job done!

I found New Alexandria to be the toughest mission thus far, the final act where you've got to re-activate 2 AA guns, with 2 wraithes and a Brute with a plasma grenade launcher on the bridge along with a horde of Brutes, Grunts and Jackals, This part just ruined me. However after calming down and re-strategizing things, I Hijacked a Wraithe, blew up the 2nd Wraithe then it was game on.

I was expecting 'The Package' to be ALOT harder, but truth be told that was pretty simple, just let Noble squad do the work while i took a back seat occasionally taking a few pop shots at elites in order to get the checkpoints to occur.

I'll have to remember the areas you've said about though for Pillar of Autumn, especially the 2 hunters, and the last 2 elites you confront before the use the cannon.

I found New Alexandria to be the toughest mission thus far, the final act where you've got to re-activate 2 AA guns, with 2 wraithes and a Brute with a plasma grenade launcher on the bridge along with a horde of Brutes, Grunts and Jackals, This part just ruined me. However after calming down and re-strategizing things, I Hijacked a Wraithe, blew up the 2nd Wraithe then it was game on

I used the cloak a lot for that last bit, once i battled through activating the 2 aa guns i went the long way round, cloaked sneaked past brutes slowly and pressed the activate button!

I was expecting 'The Package' to be ALOT harder, but truth be told that was pretty simple, just let Noble squad do the work while i took a back seat occasionally taking a few pop shots at elites in order to get the checkpoints to occur.

I was surprised how often checkpoints occured there to be honest, i kept moving around the outskirts to activate the defence turrents and i think i destroyed both wraiths, hid a lot and shot at elites or brutes when they were close!

full playlist update details:

This changelist is subject to change between now and when the update is deployed, tentatively scheduled for October 5th, 2010.

PLAYLISTS

Rumble Pit

* Added Crazy King

* Added Juggernaut

* Removed Oddball on Asylum

Team Slayer

* Removed SWAT

* Removed Classic

* Weights adjusted based on voting data

Team SWAT (New!)

* Based on existing Team Slayer SWAT offering

* Removed Hemorrhage

* Replaced Zealot with Arena Zealot map variant

Team Objective

* Added Crazy King

* Added several gametypes on Powerhouse (CTF, Assault, Stockpile, Crazy King, 3 Plots)

* Removed heavy vehicles from all 4v4 Team Objective gametypes

Multi Team

* Added Rocket Race

Big Team Battle

* Added Crazy King

* Removed SWAT

* Removed Snipers from Boneyard

* Weights adjusted based on voting data

Doubles Arena

* Removed Slayer Pro for Season 2

* Removed Boardwalk

Team Arena

* Removed Slayer Pro for Season 2

MAPS

Arena Zealot (New!)

* Added a softkill zone to the space area

* Modified initial spawns so enemies cannot see each other

Zealot

* Objects can no longer be dropped into the boot_base

Asylum

* Removed multiple duplicate Headhunter score zones

Boneyard

* Changed the base object for territories from a hill marker to a flag stand

* Objects can no longer come to rest on the out of bounds cliff behind the scaffolding where the Invasion core is captured

* Players can no longer sit in the out of bounds area under the ship scaffolding

Pinnacle

* Health Packs should not respawn after 15 seconds

Hemorrhage

* Landmine removed from Red team's west cliff

* Respawn time for all Mongoose vehicles is now 45 seconds

* Scorpions replaced with Wraiths (4 minute respawn)

Paradiso

* Respawn timer for Concussion Rifle at Red base is now 30 seconds to match Concussion Rifle at Blue base

Reflection

Boardwalk

Powerhouse

* Respawn timer for all Needler weapons is now 45 seconds

GAMETYPES

Global Changes

* Slayer DMR now has motion tracker enabled

* Evade has replaced Hologram for all gametypes in which players can hold objects (CTF, Assault, Stockpile, Oddball)

* Evade has replaced Dropshield for gametypes which create concentrated gameplay in specific areas (Crazy King, Territories, Oddball)

* All Classic gametypes should now include Sprint as default equipment

King of the Hill

* Teams are now always able to correctly score points

* Players standing in the hill no longer receive extra points upon returning from a host migration

Rocket Race

* Players now attached to vehicles after being on foot for 10 seconds

* Flipped vehicles will be detected to prevent players from attaching to a non-upright vehicle

* Added functionality for tracking and reporting rotations

* Fountain of Mongeese should no longer be possible (don't ask)

* Players are no longer able to jack another teams Mongoose

* Players are no longer forced into a specific role of driver or gunner

* All players start with a Rocket Launcher

* Players move at 50% speed, do dignificantly reduced damage and are marked with a nav icon

* Players on foot are now able to score points in Rocket Race

Juggernaut

* The Juggernaut no longer sees other players as allies upon returning from a host migration

* New clients after a host migration will no longer lose their Juggernaut status

Territories

* All teams now have separate capture timers for each territory

* Locked territories will no longer prevent players from using equipment

* The flag in the territory is now attached if the territory is a flag stand object

* Added a HUD_Widget to display contested status to players inside a territory

* The progress bar for a territory will now show as full when that territory is being contested (capture progress is saved and will appear again once the territory is no longer contested)

* Random flag clothes will no longer disappear after a round transition

Oddball

* Bombs in Hot Potato now properly report carry time

* Multiple hot potato bombs will no longer spawn in the same location

* The carry time reported stat will now always be correct after a host migration has occurred

* Players carrying the oddball during a host migration will no longer receive extra points

Stockpile

* All stockpile flags are now attached to their spawn location if it is a flag stand

Invasion

* The game score is now set per frame tick based off of the current phase

* A failsafe game end timer has been added to catch any possible bad cases of Invasion games not ending properly

Invasion: Boneyard

* The core will now reset whenever it is thrown through a shield door into a spawning location in Phase 3

Invasion (Assault) and Assault

* Added sudden death to Invasion (Assault) and Assault gametypes

Race

* Players who die before the first checkpoint will no longer spawn in a random location on the map

Finished this on Legendary alone this morning. That last section on the last level is really drawn out on that difficulty. Also asks you to be very precise with your shots or you'll very quickly run out of ammo. Just glad that it was Brutes making up the forces rather than Elites otherwise it would have been impossible to do. With the Brutes, even on Legendary, unless they're the Chieftain ones, you can still get away with a two shot kill with both the Pistol and DMR, which are godsends when doing trying to secure that landing pad.

Took 3 goes on the Cannon bit though. Thought I'd try and see if I can stay in it and take out all of the Phantoms and Banshees coming in but realised after the second go that it wasn't going to happen so I hid until the Corvette was overhead and fired a single shot.

Oh and the bit with the two Hunters, piece of cake :P I found a Spartan laser which I held on to and took both of them out easily. Was immensely satisfying not having to go the shotgun route like on the first Sword Base level.

Glad it's done now. Harder than 3 on Legendary and while it had its difficult moments, it's certainly not the toughest FPS I've played through (as someone else said, CoD: WaW was much harder than this on Veteran). Now just got to mop up the Firefight achievements.

New playlists ftw. I fucking love Rocket Race on Hemorrgaagrgrgargragagre.