NEurope
Dyson

Halo: Reach

Invasion is great

the escalation of the conflict when the elites breach the hull and cross over to the yard is brilliant. The map is huuuuuuuuuuuge!

Balance needs a tweak I reckon- though it's hard to say whether it's to do with an unfair set up or just inexperienced/ rubbish players. Either way, Elites seem to be loosing way more than Spartans. Which is odd, given how strong the elites are man for man by comparison- but the Spartans get so many shiny, shiny toys. It's hard to match.

If you don't have a clue whats going on or any weak links, the elites will rape you.

Very true

but it seems that on two teams of clued up players, Spartans have a pretty hefty upper hand.

Invasion is great

the escalation of the conflict when the elites breach the hull and cross over to the yard is brilliant. The map is huuuuuuuuuuuge!

Balance needs a tweak I reckon- though it's hard to say whether it's to do with an unfair set up or just inexperienced/ rubbish players. Either way, Elites seem to be loosing way more than Spartans. Which is odd, given how strong the elites are man for man by comparison- but the Spartans get so many shiny, shiny toys. It's hard to match.

I think it's partly because the guns the Spartans get are so much better than the Elites. Elites first gun is awful whereas Spartans get a DMR. Moving on the Spartans keep on spawning next to vehicles, rocket launchers and lasers etc.

I need to check, but can the elites not backtrack to pick up the focus rifle and 'nade launcher from the wings of the bulkheads?- that seems to be what gives the spartans the advantage because they don't have to go anywhere to get all their cool stuff.

also, I love the starting spawns. Forcing the elites over a pretty lethal killing ground to get in range is a really dramatic opening statement and gives the Spartans that besieged feeling straight off.

And when the Elites close in- man do you feel it. Needlers and repeaters in sync absolutely rip the Spartans a new one. I tend to go for the needler myself and coming out of cloak with a well aimed burst when you've snuck in always gets you a few kills or sets up your buddy to mop up.

I need to check, but can the elites not backtrack to pick up the focus rifle and 'nade launcher from the wings of the bulkheads?- that seems to be what gives the spartans the advantage because they don't have to go anywhere to get all their cool stuff.

also, I love the starting spawns. Forcing the elites over a pretty lethal killing ground to get in range is a really dramatic opening statement and gives the Spartans that besieged feeling straight off.

And when the Elites close in- man do you feel it. Needlers and repeaters in sync absolutely rip the Spartans a new one. I tend to go for the needler myself and coming out of cloak with a well aimed burst when you've snuck in always gets you a few kills or sets up your buddy to mop up.

To be honest I didn't know there was a focus rifle and grenade launch on the bulkheads but you will be able to backtrack to get them as you can spawn anywhere in the level once its been unlocked.

If I'm an Elite I try to lead the first wave into the base. Launching plasma grenades and just generally causing chaos. The majority of people can't use the DMR properly at close range so it's pretty easy to kill them when you get into the base.

Yeah they spawn like...when you go up the stairs on the far side of each flank at the start, head towards the main area of the map instead of the first objectives and they're mid way between the two.

They definitely spawn as soon as you unlock the first objective but I reckon they must be on a timer and most Elite teams forget to use them.

Another under used tactic so far has been Jetpacks against the Scorpion. A couple of fast moving Elites can emp the tank from the sky and glide down for a smooth hijack/ sabotage.

OK guys. Major update.

Bungie just announced Forge World, which is kind of Forge 2.0 but....Good lord it's just insane. It's absolutely unreal. I can't even begin to imagine what's going to come out of this.

That looks insanely cool.

They should make a LittleBigPlanet version of an FPS, fully customisable. Man that'd rock.

I wonder if you'll be able to make Firefight maps in Forge, or otherwise place Covenant in the environment. It strikes me as a relatively easy inclusion given the nature of the AI and the way campaign maps are populated, and I'm sure people would be able to come up with some fun scenarios, such as spawning players without any weapons in a trap-laden room with a Hunter, requiring you to use the environment to kill it.

Such a feature would be prime ground for feature creep so I can see why they wouldn't do it, but perhaps it's something they could add as paid DLC further down the line.

Oh, and does that video show localised gravity? I watched it last night, but I seem to remember there being a clip where a player remained attached to a surface despite rounding a corner that by rights should have left them falling; perhaps a special anti-grav material like in Prey?

Some simple "logic" commands would be awesome, too. Such as "Press button X and object Y moves/explodes". Kind of like Timesplitters. Especially if you could use them to make campaign levels.

That looks frickin' awesome. However as with the original Forge I'll never use it as its really not my type of thing to spend ages making levels etc. Although fingers crossed everyone else will make some cool levels!

Forge World looks awesome. I never did experiment much with Forge in Halo 3, other than messing about to find the hidden skulls in the Mythic maps (that one that had you head out of bounds towards the far wall underneath the towers of destruction was both awesome and annoying) but it did feel a little clunky. Looks like this time around it's going to be a much better customisation tool so hopefully I'll be able to do something of worth in it.

Yeah the problem with H3 forge was that it was totally bootstrap

at first it was basically them saying 'ok now you can play with wepaons, spawns and some geometry items in our maps'

Then people started building crazy shit, so they built Foundry and said 'ok now you can make maps in this space!' but only with the tools from before, which weren't designed for it so it caused all sorts of problems with items clashing and not fitting together

so then they built sandbox and said 'ok now all the items fit together and you have proper spaces' but the tools never got upgraded.

Now it's the space cranked up to 11, plus the tools are actually designed for maps, not items. It's a pretty significant jump and really opens the possibilities

Yeah this is pretty much the first I've seen of Halo: Reach, and it's sold the entire game to me already. Gimme!

I've got to get a new Xbox and the Limited Edition of this. That Forge World video is amazing!

I've got to get a new Xbox and the Limited Edition of this. That Forge World video is amazing!

On which subject, have people seen the new reach Limited Edition console bundle?

HaloReachConsole3.jpg

You can see that Xbox (and all the Halo Reach editions) being unboxed in this video....

I'd seen that bundle but I've questioned whether its really worth it. I can get the slim at work for £170~ (staff discount) and then £50 for the game. Saves about £30.

Foolishly tempted to get the Legendary version, the helmet with Halo 3 was awesome.

Foolishly tempted to get the Legendary version, the helmet with Halo 3 was awesome.

As mine bores holes into the back of my head through a dusty visor, I feel I must question this statement.

I'm just going to stick with the regular edition this time, none of the extra gubbins appeals to me.