NEurope
Shorty

Natal Motion Control/Recognition (360)

Games are going to need a major shift if Natal is actually going to be implemented properly and that isn't going to happen with any speed.

Not to mention that guy has perfect lighting.

They're trying to work around the controls instead of with them, not sure why they're wasting time trying to implement them into Half Life. If it was an interactive horror film thing where you control a torch with your hand then just maybe...

Haha, omg, why would you ever want to control a game like that!! What an effort!

Your right dwarf, they'd need to completely build games around the system, and given that even a couple of years on developers still haven't got their heads around how to work with the Wii properly, Natal could just end up with...

Orchestra minigames ftw!

Edited by Retro_Link

One question;

What happens when you have an itch?

The itch motion will be programmed to activate self destruct.

One question;

What happens when you have an itch?

You get someone to itch it for you.

This can be awkward when you're forced to ask a stranger to itch your leg.

If there's no one to ask then Natal switches off, informing you that it's meant to be used in social settings; and not for geeks and freaks.

You'll never get an itch if you're as cool and collected as Tom Cruise in the start of Minority Report.

Then again, i have blown myself up with grenades multiple times on The Conduit by scratching my head.

Erm... I'm assuming there will be a 'pause' gesture? problem solved... lolz

I was going to suggest that but then some things you have to do instantly, like cough or sneeze or whatever, would be hard to make a pause gesture before doing something like that, especially because the motion probably has to be quite different from the actions you do in the main game.

Well I think the nail has been roundly smashed upon the noggin a few times -- games ought to be designed with this feature in mind rather than trying to come up with an entire sign language to map out all the functions a controller has.

I still think the best use for this will be in conjunction with a normal controller.

Like lobbing a quick grenade in MW, or hailing a cab in GTA (*whistle*) or using/equipping certain items with voice instead of scrolling (''RPG!'' or ''Heal!''). Think small but intuitive as opposed to the flailing about weve seen so far

I think the best use would be to create a new controller for it, one that is essentially the 360 controller but ripped into two parts. So you have all the buttons and the movement of your arms. But that would be expensive.

I don't get what the 3D camera has over the Eye and wand combo. The wands have the depth (likely more accurate) and the camera can do head tracking and body movement/positioning (obviously not as accurate but then it'll be predominantly tracking the wands).

Orchestra minigames ftw!

Thats probaly what Natal will be used for eventually. Looking at my games catalouge, there would be too much effort trying to play a new Gears with complete motion control.

I predict Natal will have full motion control in party-style games and be implemented somehow in games like Gears and still allowing gamers to use a control pad.

I don't get what the 3D camera has over the Eye and wand combo. The wands have the depth (likely more accurate) and the camera can do head tracking and body movement/positioning (obviously not as accurate but then it'll be predominantly tracking the wands).

It cannot capture full body depth.

I know. I was implying that and that the wands cover it since their depth is tracked (I'm guessing if needed a game could extrapolate the body's position if it really had to, although maybe not. Who knows.).

Killer Instinct 3 Natal

In the new issue of Games TM, an excellent Rare studio feature contains a box out on the Killer Instinct franchise, in which Mark Betteridge reaffirms that Killer Instinct is an IP “near and dear to us”.

The real eyebrow raiser comes as he goes on to say: “It’s about timing, and it’s about the opportunity creatively and gameplay-wise that it would offer. Street Fighter IV looked great and they’ve done a great job, and I’m a big fan of those products, but with KI we want to do something different rather than go back into that arena.”

And then the money shot: “I think it’s about doing something different than with a conventional controller.”

George Andreas, head of design at Rare, also says that the challenge will be about making KI for “the masses”, and the magazine itself goes on to conclude: “Unfortunately, fans will have to wait until Natal hits the market before they discover if that question is to remain unanswered.”

Rare also working on Natal Fit.

The end of 2009 did not induce any positivity for Rare fans when it came to Natal. Sequels to both Kameo and Perfect Dark were canceled, and an untitled Natal game was canceled after a year in development. A current rumor about what Rare may be working on probably won’t help the faith.

According to VG247 (in a rather brilliant entry, I must say), the latest rumor is that Rare is working on, brace yourselves, “a fitness game for Natal. Like Microsoft’s version of Wii Fit.” Apparently, Rare have been “working on it for a good while,” as well as something else that we “can probably guess at.”

Lol Rare have basically become Microsoft's whores... sad times indeed, needless to say though I'm sure some faith will be restored when they actually announce an actual brand new game that they are working on rather than applications and avatars but just how long will that be?

It's a big shame, especially as Kameo, Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts are all fantastic games.

Indeed. Rare back in the days when they were under Ninty's wings were the best days of gaming. Now look at Rare, they are not under wings. More like these days under a 10 tonne block and have to do what MS say.

I really hate Rare's laminated deformed art style (Although it suited Viva Piñata).