NEurope
Shorty

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

More reviews are coming in and it's not 9s and 10s across the board like I first thought it was going to be. Since this game isn't meant to be especially long, I think I'll wait until the price drops.

You're probably wise to do so but 29 positive reviews and 8 mixed, still isn't bad going, you can definitely discount the two negative reviews by 'Game Revolution' plus 'Playstation Lifestyle' who clearly just want to bring down the meta-score. :indeed:

Not that it matters of course, it's clearly a good game, just a little short... I'm sure I'll be wishing I waited after I finish the game in five hours or whatever but I'll live with it. :)

Oh I'm not saying there's lots that are less than positive, but I don't really get a game on launch unless it's pretty much stellar. I know people put too much stock in 9s and 10s and discount the 7s and 8s. To me that doesn't mean no-buy, it just means... no-buy-full-pricey.

Well it took me about 6 hours to finish, last boos took about 40 minutes because i kinda suck at the blade mode stuff. Was alright i guess, story was ok and some nice extra stuff unlocked after completion. Just need to hunt down some left arms and guys in cardboard boxes and i'll be done with it.

It is not often I play through a game again right after I finished it, but the gameplay and combat mechanics are so refreshing, clever and unique that going straight onto the next difficulty and seeing how the game has improved you is fantastic.

Still not tried Revengeance difficulty yet.. Kind of scared. :D

Still not tried Revengeance difficulty yet.. Kind of scared. :D

Revengeance difficulty? :blank:

Speaking as someone who went straight into the game on Hard difficulty and am already finding it challenging, I can only imagine how tough or even borderline masochistic any higher difficulty levels may be. :p

Finally got the game! Played for a bit...

Wow... Just wow! Platinum Games once again cements themselves as the undisputed kings of action games! :D

Such beautiful flavour to take the bad taste of the likes of DmC and NG3 out of my mouth :)

I'd say that it's around as good as Bayonetta so far (and that's saying something!)

Finally completed the game! Played it for ages last night trying to beat the final boss...

It's a truly stunning title, Platinum Games have developed something special that is not only a cut above the competition but manages to slice them to shreds! :wink:

Definitely a delightful addition to the genre after the disappointment that was Ninja Gaiden 3 and the very good but not quite great DmC reboot. :heh:

Is it a Bayonetta beater though? I think so, but better than Bayonetta 2? That remains to be seen... either way Platinum have delivered again, not that I ever really doubted them. : peace:

I wrote up my opinion of the game (http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-xbox-360/ ), I love it, but I'm not sure if I feel the combat is as "perfect" as Bayonetta, but in that sense, the combat is also quite different and very focused on the blade, which I do like. It is mechanically a different ball game to Bayonetta.

It's amazing that Platinum Games took an idea that wasn't originally their own, and then pretty much made awesome combat mechanics based on it. Top stuff.

Thank you guys for making me spend money on a game again.

Will drive to the store now and buy it.

Edit: Love it. Top notch action, great battle system. The demo was a tad disappointing but the full game so far is amazing.

Edited by drahkon

So I just finished it...

Now after the dust has settled... I wouldn't say it matches Bayonetta after all. It's still amazing no doubt, but it doesn't have the mechanical depth to match Bayonnetta, nor the breadth of enemy types and environmental mechanics and such.

I suppose that is in part due to its brevity (I finished it on Normal mode in 4:22) that there isn't enough time to pack in as much variety as seen in Bayonetta, but what is there is Pure Platinum quality :D

The short length of the game is also quite refreshing really. You could realisically blast through the whole thing in one sitting and just enjoy the whole ride. I can see it making the game that much more replayable for me :)

I do get the feeling that quite a bit was cut from the game, as it does seem to end a bit abruptly, but it was an amazing ride that I will be sure to come back to time and time again :D

Edit: OH MY GOD I JUST TRIED OUT REVENGEANCE DIFFICULTY!! :shakehead

Wow... Just wow... I don't think I'm ready for a New Game run of that mode lol!

Edited by Dcubed