NEurope

Discuss here, this thread will be merged with the old one when the regular boards reopen :)

Does the announcement of a separate co-op mode mean that you won't be able to play co-op in the main OSTD story? If so, then they've shot themselves in a foot (well, they haven't as they'll still sell bucketloads. But it's a big disappointment for a game that's only fun in multiplayer).

I think it'll be in addition to. Why take out a feature supported by the game you need to own to play ODST?

edit: it's clearly a version of Horde. It'll just be a new mode.

Does the announcement of a separate co-op mode mean that you won't be able to play co-op in the main OSTD story?

The campaign is 4-player co-op — complete with Skulls and scoring — on top of which you have Firefight which is essentially "Halo does Horde".

I feel like this game has got a bit lost amidst all the other games coming out of E3, but having looked into it some more it really is sounding excellent. True there are no Elites to fight, but in a lot of other areas ODST harks back to Combat Evolved: a similar health system, no dual-wielding, the world's best pistol, more non-linear environments, etcetera. On top of that there's lots of other smaller differences, such as having no motion tracker, movement being a bit more realistic and less floaty, plus the new visor and a different approach to storytelling.

Anyway, it's probably best if you just watch a video or two. Here's IGN's coverage helpfully pilfered by a YouTube user:

Co-op looks pretty cool but campaign... boring as, he said 'do not think we have nerfed the Halo experience' well they kind of have.

Co-op looks pretty cool but campaign... boring as, he said 'do not think we have nerfed the Halo experience' well they kind of have.

What makes you say that?

Well it looks like you can only have one weapon at a time, the speed you can move has decreased, you can't jump as high... As well as it not really looking special. Halo worlds don't seem believeable because there is very little detail or very little to show there was civilisation. It works great for maps etc but lacks something.

you can have 2 weapons.

In fact, it looks like Combat Evolved: old school pistol, health...

um, yeah you're basically talking balls.

I'm sorry that I don't view Halo as though it's an incredible campaign experience. I don't take back what I said, OK the weapon thing was wrong (I think) but I stand by the rest.

^ The lack of detail thing can be pointed at Killzone 2 as well though (Oh no he didn't) :heh:

Well I thought the KZ2 campaign was lame but it looked like it may have harboured life at some point and had a purpose, whereas this looks like an assortment of objects placed in an environment slightly randomly.

And yeah the guy says 'no dual wield weapons' which is a pretty damn cool thing about Halo.

you, um, do know it's set in an evacuated city after a nuke grade explosion, right?

Yeah and I also know that in Fallout there was a city that had been blown up but I don't remember it being a compilation of staircases or a place with few vocal points.

Malcolm Reynolds introduces us to Wash, Jayne, the Rookie and some other guy. There's also a cylon with them.

Ha, they've actually properly 'cast' him in it, too. That's pretty awesome.

I'm pretty sure the Bungie designers had a conversation that went something like this:

"We need some squadmates for our voiceless rookie"

"Because we love it so much, couldn't we get ideas from Firefly"

"You know what...why don't we just get the cast and make them almost the same as in Firefly. We don't have to do any work and we get those Firefly flans to buy our game."

"BAM! Said the lay-dee."

The ad they made for this is the best thing since that live action ad for the original Metroid Prime.

Hmmm... certainly interesting. Keeping the game back to make it as bug free as possible is and should be a good idea and the less updates the better. It does seem that the multiplayer beta for Halo Reach was perhaps the main constituent on holding it back. That and using September again for releasing the game just like Halo 3.

Regardless if it had come out earlier or not, it would have still sold ridiculously well, such is the Halo franchise. I think impressions saying it's not potentially very good could come down to the shift in the way the game is played out but we'll see. Only a week until release.

woop cant wait for tuesday, day off n alll yaaaaaaaaaargggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ima' be cigar chompin while i bash some alien scums

I'm intrigued by this game. Not on my purchase list yet though, too short on monies at the moment. Only one i'm definitely buying is Assassin's Creed II (and Left4Dead 2 if i get my internets sorted).

Guess i'll see what you lot think of it and decide from there.

Hmmm... certainly interesting. Keeping the game back to make it as bug free as possible is and should be a good idea and the less updates the better. It does seem that the multiplayer beta for Halo Reach was perhaps the main constituent on holding it back. That and using September again for releasing the game just like Halo 3.

Regardless if it had come out earlier or not, it would have still sold ridiculously well, such is the Halo franchise. I think impressions saying it's not potentially very good could come down to the shift in the way the game is played out but we'll see. Only a week until release.

yeah but the point is, they've kept it back and not touched it since May. No 'fixing bugs' or anything.