NEurope
Caris

Crysis 2

Hardly touched the game, found it so dull at the beginning I really couldn't be bothered with it right now, I'll give it another go once the novelty of the 3DS has worn off. Not got high hopes for it though, just seems to clone what's marketable at the moment, and that's not what I want from a FPS.

Hardly touched the game, found it so dull at the beginning I really couldn't be bothered with it right now, I'll give it another go once the novelty of the 3DS has worn off. Not got high hopes for it though, just seems to clone what's marketable at the moment, and that's not what I want from a FPS.

Well that's just....not true. At all

Shorty: not sure how it compares exactly but you have the stealth, armour and speed set plus some other tricks to play with. Stealth plays a big part, though that's as much down to my style as anything really.

Well that's just....not true. At all

I'm sorry, but I think I know what I want best from an FPS and it ain't Crysis 2.

Bulletstorm >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crysis 2.

But it's no clone. Not at all. It's not far off Halo but it's definitely miles away from cod et al. I just think your criticism is pretty unfounded so maybe you should give it a couple of hours and see.

Mad Monkey does like to throw half baked ideas out there, reliant on typical forum conjecture, without any real need to substantiate his claims.

I think Crysis 2 is phenominal, and definitely one of the most interesting shooters I've played for a while, owing not in small part to the customisability of weapons and the fact that any given enemy encounter can be approached in a myriad of ways. And I don't this in the way that they used to marked games with Havok physics, where they'd tell you that everytime you shoot an enemy he'll fall a different way thus its a different game every time you play. Here I mean, literally, it does what the original failed to, because it didn't really require you to be creative, and instead, if you just go in guns blazing, the pretty fuckin coordinated enemy masses will come down on you like a ton of bricks. Can't wait to get some more playtime with the thing, so far only played for abooot two hours on a mates PC.

I think technically Crysis 2 is a great game but it falls down with story and mission design.

I think im near the end of the game now but im so sick of just being told "Go here", getting to an open area and then basically doing the same thing over and over again. The story or characters havent drawn me in at all and for me thats bad as its always been story over technical aspects that I look for in a game. Cutscenes are also badly done and talking to a few people they seem to agree so id be interested to hear what you guys think. They seem too pop up awkwardly then after its done deposit you somewhere else with no link between places, it gets disorientating.

One thing I have found im enjoying is the more tactical aspect of the game. Like when to use the stealth/armour or which parts I need to use on my guns depending on the situation. That and as I mentioned, the more technical stuff. Like the way the guns fire or the dust on the ground flys up when you shoot.

Having finished it earlier I actually think the story is quite interesting as shooters go, it's simply not very well told. Including a likeable character at some point would have helped, too.

Having played a fair bit more tonight, I'm absolutely loving this. The campaign is just...bloody marvellous. Sure the story is a clunky jumble of poor characterisation (I think 'doing a half-life' with Alcatraz was a disaster) but mechanically it's a wonderful game. It's Deus Ex via Halo, Far cry 2 and Thief. The tools, the balance, the combat...It's just awesome. It really is.

Not actually had a crack at it yet. I've been having so much fun going solo that I've hardly considered it.

Hows the multiplayer?

Multiplayer is junk so far. But its by Free Radical who are now Crytek UK.

Loved the single player. It takes the best bits of scripted fps and adds some larger areas with the suit to open the gameplay. Its nothing like Deus Ex, Far cry or Crysis. Those were far more open ended but they had some unique issues(mostly because of tech and pushing the boundaries).

Crysis 2 has some similar issues but bypasses most of them as its more linear those games. this time round Crytek played it safe. COD and Halo players should have no problem finishing this game. It's not demanding or anything. The AI is very very easy and your suit is overpowered. The first half is quite weak consisting of go here and now go here type of stuff. The second half is great(Especially last third) on the other hand with afew variations on things to do. My favourite bits were all towards the end as the game gives you more tricky situations. My playtime was 7 hours and 2 minutes.

Next game they should focus on actual missions much like some of the later bits of this game. The go here and go there thing is boring. Story is really poor despite the award winning writer. Perhaps the worst this generation. But presentation is the best of any fps so far. The game feels insanely high budget but there are tons of bugs. AI is buggy. Some things like ammo pickup should be automatic as you frequently pick up all sorts of things you dont want. First half areas are samey but the last 3rd is varied. Overall its easily one of the better single player fps this generation.

Edited by Choze

Multiplayer is junk so far. But its by Free Radical who are now Crytek UK.

You say that as if its syllogistically assured. WTF FREE RADICAL DO AWESOME MULTIPLAYER.

You say that as if its syllogistically assured. WTF FREE RADICAL DO AWESOME MULTIPLAYER.

You mean like Haze and Timesplitters. Both were terrible. Timesplitters had a nice level creation mode though. Haze had nice yellow artwork.

^ More proof that nothing Choze says is to be taken seriously.

^ More proof that nothing Choze says is to be taken seriously.

Never knew people defended Haze.

I tried the multiplayer the other day. Overall it was pretty enjoyable but they need to sort out the spawn points. More than once I appeared in the same room with 1 or 2 from the other team.

MP is fuuuun. Kind of manic, which is a change from the SP, but it's cool. The nano suit feels really fun when you bounce around levels at silly speeds and fuck around with cool moves and tactics. Good times.

But it's no clone. Not at all. It's not far off Halo but it's definitely miles away from cod et al. I just think your criticism is pretty unfounded so maybe you should give it a couple of hours and see.

That's just the way it seems to me though, super soldier in his special suit fighting aliens, there's your Halo, perk based multiplayer, that's some CoD, option to run and gun or go for stealth, seen that before. I will give it another go at some point, but it's been sat gathering dust for the last week, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Just waiting to get the money to get this on the 360. Played the demo and loved it. I do have £28 credit in Gamestation now so maybe I'll get it today...

My playtime was 7 hours and 2 minutes.

Now go through it on Supersoldier difficulty.

Ok guys, I'm sorry for the following rant but I really need to put my disappointment into sentences because I absolutely loved Crysis 1 from the very first part of the cinematic to the last shot fired.

I played about two hours so far and am quite a bit disappointed. It feels as if they hired a different team to do it. Don't get me wrong it's still a good game but feels quite different to Crysis 1, and I played through Crysis 1 about two weeks ago so I hardly have rose-tinted glasses on.

First of all I'm very impressed with the graphics. I thought with it being a console port and all, this might suffer but it seems to me especially lighting and shaders improved a lot compared to the first. Also the streamlined functionality of the Nanosuit is nice. But why does the armour-mode constantly draw power now and why can't I be in armour mode permanently? I'm playing on Supersoldier with Crosshair off and it's quite annoying that I die while my energy is full, especially because I often die before I can react and the armour would give me that extra time.

Also I'm not impressed with the level design so far. The open areas are not open enough for me to sneak around. Maybe this is because I'm used to clearing out every room from other shooters. Now in the first I had these huge areas where I could scout extensively before deciding on an tactic on how to invade the enemies base, apply hit and run tactics and sneak around. In Crysis 2 I'm all of a sudden within the battlefield and I can hardly scout around to decide on an approach. Also it seems to me that sometimes the enemies spawn in the area some time throughout the battle whereas in Crysis 1 I could rely on the number of enemies I counted before.

Furthermore I miss that I can't lie down anymore and there is no "hold to crouch" option either.

Also a quicksave function or just any save function besides autosave would be nice, since any plan which doesn't work out quite as expected results in me dying.

A bit more effort in making the environments destructible would also have been nice, particularly destructible windows isn't exactly something new, but for instance once I was looking for a way out. I tried to smash the window which didn't work only to realize that next to it is a destroyed one which is meant as an exit.

Lastly I miss the female suit voice from the previous game, sounded much nicer than the overly manly voice in this one.

Admittedly these are not exactly huge complaints and as I said before it's a very good game but it lacks the open, destructible environments of the previous one. Now I have a nav-marker every 200 meters or so whereas in the first, the nav marker was my actual objective and a few kilometers away. How I got there was my business.

I hope this gets better later on because so far apart from the Nanosuit I don't see that many similarities to Crysis 1.

Edited by Konfucius

Well, I gave it another shot, met some aliens, drove a tank, shot down some choppers, and it's still not really grabbing me. It's OK, and technically very pretty, but very samey to a lot of FPS out there. I also noticed some terrible glitching on enemy soldiers, with some getting trapped half way through walls, others moving up and down with nothing supporting them, and even saw one split in to two, either that or there were two occupying the same space to start with.