NEurope
Caris

Crysis 2

From Kotaku.

"Crysis, the gorgeous sci-fi shooter from German developer Crytek Frankfurt, is a PC game. So is its sequel, Crysis 2 — that, and an Xbox 360 and a PS3 game.

The game is the second entry in the planned Crysis triology and will be published by EA. "The development of Crysis 2 marks a major stepping stone for our studio," said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek. "This is not only the next game in the Crysis franchise, it's the first title we are developing for consoles and the first title being built on CryENGINE 3."

No word on a release date."

crysis_screenshot.jpg

I never actually played the first one with my crappy PC so it'll be nice to be able to play this

Cry Engine 3? :D Awesome! Cry Engine 2 is already really, really stunning and they're away a raise the bar even higher. Looking forward to this!

The first game was pretty average, but really, really beautiful to look at. Thought Warhead was a bit better all round though and lower on the system requirements.

Cry Engine 3? :D Awesome! Cry Engine 2 is already really, really stunning and they're away a raise the bar even higher. Looking forward to this!

The first game was pretty average, but really, really beautiful to look at. Thought Warhead was a bit better all round though and lower on the system requirements.

It was a good game in many parts. I am sure many will like it because this sort of gameplay is rare on consoles.

Game looks like its lost some of its smeckzyness. Hopefully the PC version will retain its higher graphical finesse. I quite enjoyed Crysis, but that might be down to the fact that I've only recently got back into pc gaming. Guess I'm finding more reasons to pick up one of these xbox things.

Game looks like its lost some of its smeckzyness. Hopefully the PC version will retain its higher graphical finesse. I quite enjoyed Crysis, but that might be down to the fact that I've only recently got back into pc gaming. Guess I'm finding more reasons to pick up one of these xbox things.

Cry Engine 3 is better than 2. Especially when talking pc anyway so dont worry. Also Crysis was a good game. It had flaws but ultimately its fun. No media yet but we should get some at the EA conference.

Alot of the games this e3 have screens and trailers from the pc version to look better ;)

Crysis was an amazing game. I'm so happy it gets a sequel. I really loved the style of the game and the Nanosuit was most awesome. I actually bought a new PC for that game. I hope I don't have to do this again with Crysis 2.

Judging from videos I think that the CryEngine 3 does everything the CryEngine 2 does only a little prettier and what actually warants the number change is the compatibility to consoles.

Pc online demo out.

Insanely disappointing demo. The pc version actually is a port of the console game. Its worse looking than COD or BFBC in many ways. Having played the single player at eurogamer I knew it was not close to Crysis 1 but never knew they were just porting the console game. The textures are on the lowish side and the game is not using any new or advanced effects some cutting edge console games do. It does not run that great considering what it is doing compared to Crysis 1.

Gameplay wise its designed around COD with nanotech suits and afew additional ways of killing people. Its from the makers of Haze apparently. Does not impress me at all. Feels like I'd rather just play COD. There are alot of basics that the game gets wrong. There is so much bloom you actually cant see targets in front of you at times. Chairs and carpets have bloom!

Motion blur is abused badly. A cool HUD that keeps moving(with added motion blur) making it hard to read or follow basic info. COD style random spawning, exact copy of COD's shooting system , perhaps more dumbed down so people can spray a full clip when aiming down sights. I could go on but I'd rather not waste time.

I think people should just try it out for themselves and see.

Graphical settings: Gamer is 'medium', Advanced is 'medium high' and Hardcore is 'High'. No custom settings.

Edited by Choze

One thing I don't like is that it doesn't feel like your bullets are hitting people.

Its from the makers of Haze apparently.

Free Radical (now Crytec UK) who also made the utterly brilliant TimeSplitters games.

The pc version actually is a port of the console game.

No. No it isn't.

No. No it isn't.

A lot of people are going to be saying this. Then they will cry when the game tell them to 'press start'.

It's like a bog standard console game on PC. No advanced options or anything.

Couldn't it be that the demo has reduced options for filesize reasons?

I actually don't really like Crysis. Playing through the first one now and I don't see it doing anything that special.

The demo's DX9 only, no?

I can't check myself as the whole MyCrysis aspect appears to have more or less fallen over, scuppering my chances of actually trying the PC demo out.

I'm assuming this is simply the multiplayer demo hmm? If so, I'll skip it, as I'm not interested in Crysis multiplayer.

I'm actually pretty interested in the multiplayer side of things, PC demo issues aside. The PS3 version appears to be fine, too, which is a nice surprise given how long it's been in hiding.

Speaking of which, here's the Executive Producer offering up some multiplayer tips whilst playing on said console:

The multiplayer is being developed by Crytek UK (previously known as Free Radical...) and to be honest, I'm not much of a fan of what I've played via the 360 demo. The input lag is fucking insane, especially considering how much of a twitch shooter the original game was. I assume it won't be the same on the PC side of things.

I actually don't really like Crysis. Playing through the first one now and I don't see it doing anything that special.

Its a game that rewards you for going out of your way to experiment, but otherwise doesn't really force you to do much; it can be completed by just running through the game with a rifle shooting enemies point blank, but it gets fun when you start to switch up your tactics. Its a game whose physics and graphics really make the gameplay. For example, where a hut in any other game with destructable environments would basically switch between two models, one in its normal state, and one in its destroyed state, what happens in crysis is that every piece of the hut is individually modelled, physics and all. So you could have amazing fun doing things like strapping explosives to the structural supports of the hut, allowing the enemy to see you, and then cloaking and sneaking out back, only to blow the place sky high, and seeing the roof collapse on the enemies that you lured in there. Like, I said, inventive.

I'm just plaything through the first game now.

What really seems to make it special so far is the way the've implemented stealth. The interaction between the player and the enemies in this sense is something I haven't seen in any other game.

I got it on 360.

It's pretty good. The suit powers means it plays differently to other console shooters; the closest analogue is probably Halo with added verticality. It's the antithesis of CoD in the sense that combat primarily takes place in arenas which you can approach however you wish and there's plenty of scope to tackle things differently when repeating sections. Fiddling with weapon attachments and suit upgrades also lends proceedings a very light progression element.

On the downside I've found enemy AI to be somewhat unconvincing, both in terms of doing odd things — such as running into walls — and having an annoying penchant to instantly hone in on you the moment you come out of stealth. I've seen some pretty egregious respawning, too, including soldiers literally appearing in front of me.

The graphics are... nice. It's clearly doing a lot of things which are impressive on a technical level, but at the same time the framerate's pretty variable, there's a lot of draw-in — namely in terms of geometry and shadows — and the anti-aliasing method they've chosen makes things a bit blurry. To me it gives that uncomfortable feeling of trying to play a PC game at settings your computer can't handle, although I'm probably more aware of the technical annoyances by virtue of Crytek's pre-release boasts.

It's decent, it's different and if you're after a new shooter it's worth a shot.

Im not entirely sure what I think about this game yet.

I actually really like the technical side of it, the suit stuff and just effects like the dust that comes up when you fire etc. The story however is leaving me a bit empty, I dont know if its because I never played the first Crysis but im not really caring whats going on or what I have to do next.

Got this on PC, god it's a beauty to look at. I'm maxing it out at 1920x1200 with the frame rate around the 45 mark :D

I really like how streamlined the suit interface is, quick access to stuff to be able to change your suits ability in an instance. Story, don't know much yet since I've only done the first 6 chapters, shall know later on when I beat it :p

But yeah, it's a brilliant shooter. Doesn't really do anything new, instead justs plays great and looks awesome.

Definitely gonna get this on my PC to challenge my setup - been waiting for it for a while.. :D

This is excellent. Makes a great change from Cod style nothingness in a campaign and the suit is incredible. Few games make you feel so convincingly dangerous as this one, and the limits of what you can do are sublimely balanced. Design is cool too with a nice touch of clear signposting guiding otherwise player driven combat. Very cool.

How does the suit compare to the one in Crysis 1? All I really used to use in the first game was speed and stealth.