NEurope

Rayman 1 Thinking back, this is probably one of the biggest games of my childhood. Played it last night and today and it is still a marvelous game. Very retro in places but that's what gave it charm and is still bloody awesome to play today.

More platformers should take note of this, because I want more of the same type of style this game stood for. It was difficult yet rewarding.

rayman1.jpg

Rayman.jpg

Rayman 2: The great escape

I guess we may also use this thread for Rayman 2: The great Escape which was the first and in my opinion the only good 3D Rayman. In fact it was brilliant and I remember being exited when I had the demo for it on PC. I jizzed when the final copy was in my hands after I finally got it for PS2.

rayman_2__the_great_escape.jpg

rayman2_screen006.jpg

Did anyone else play the 2D Rayman that was about numeracy and literacy?

Rayman 1 was one of the very first games I got in to and I loved it. It was so vibrant and colourful and most importantly a challenge. I loved it, and still do. Why can't they make games like this anymore?

I know. I played it today and some of the stages are rock hard! It's so simple yet to date no-one has quite replicated it. I think it is better than the 2D mario platformers even.

Maybe it'll have to remain just as a good memory, some things are left in the past. *Sobs*

Rayman 1 is an awesome game. So annoyed I didn't guess it right.:p Such a brilliant platformer. Excellent level design in my opinion. I agree with you that in places it was hard but that was down to you sucking rather than anything else. :)

I've never played Rayman 2 The great escape but I played the DS version which is the same game but with poor controls so mucked up the experience for me.

Yeah I think I had both versions at some point. GBA suffered at running it.

I don't suck! I used to be pro at it when I was 8! There was one boss that pissed me off though, and one platforming level with falling drums. Although I found that easier when I was younger.

Platformers can be frustrating because they are full of temptations for you to fuck up.

Haha sorry! :p I suck.. when I was 8! I could probably do it now. I haven't played it in years nor do I own any version. :(

You've given me a massive urge to play it now and I'm stuck with Rayman DS!

My greatest downfalls in platforming is jumping* so the drums were a huge challenge for me.

*seriously I can dodge all the attacks in super ghouls n ghosts and then mis time a jump! >__<

Weeee so many good memories of this game. The musical land had to be my favourite, I remember fighting the saxophone and that was bloody tough. The woman with the rolling pin was a toughie too.

I'm ashamed to say I never got to the end of the game without cheating, though. I couldnt find all the cages and such. Shame on me!

Some cages were well hidden. Great once you had all of the smiley faces on the map though. I thought the evil Rayman chase was scary.

So neither of you faced Mr Dark :o ??

To be fair it was difficult finding them all.

i love this game so much.. it was the first game i owned for ps1 and I loved the difficulty..

only problem is the game gets 10 times better when you get the run power but it;s the last power you get.

graphically great too.. I just love that sparkle noise when something appears and how random it is :)

So neither of you faced Mr Dark :o ??

To be fair it was difficult finding them all.

did and completed it.. the ps1 version is the best one though.. the gba version is so very toned down.

Yeah ps1 is the way to go. I had it on PC and it's pretty much the same, bar the controller. I don't want Raving Rabbids, I want my classic Rayman!

Yeah ps1 is the way to go. I had it on PC and it's pretty much the same, bar the controller. I don't want Raving Rabbids, I want my classic Rayman!

well if you wanna be technical then the saturn version has graphics that are a little bit better.. saturn was master of 2d after all.

I remember it. Pretty good, really. And very underappreciated.

I never had the chance to play it properly, unfortunately :( But I remember that the music world was awesome :yay:

Thing is it was the top selling PS1 game apparently. May have been a misinformed source though (Wiki)

I liked Rayman 2 on the N64 better than both Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie. Rayman 3 was very disappointing. I wish we'd get another good 3D Rayman game, and not some Rabbid minigames. The next Rabbids game looks fun though, but not exactly what I want.

You never played the 2D game? It's gold! literally if you get me

You never played the 2D game? It's gold! literally if you get me

Oh, I have. I played it on GBA. I love it. I also have the GBC version, but that one was just loosely based on the original. Both are great games. More difficult than one might think at first glance.

well if you wanna be technical then the saturn version has graphics that are a little bit better.. saturn was master of 2d after all.

Thought it was the superior sound quality that made the Saturn version slightly better - graphics as well?

Bought the PC version on launch in '96, and got the PS1 version a few years later. Played both versions at least twice. The PC version was so technically impressive because it had deadsmooth scrolling, which was almost never seen on a PC in those days. Great game, remember searching for so long trying to find the last few cages.

Dreamcast was the best version of Rayman 2. Loved that game & played it through twice. The places where levels branched annoyed me tho - take the "wrong" path first and miss out a big chunk of the stage, then have to go back & repeat the whole stage. So much variety in gameplay, story & scenery.

Unfortunately Rayman 3 wasn't Michel Ancel's puppy any more, and it was an abomination. Obnoxious "Hollywood stupid comedy" voice acting (and all the characters suddenly spoke American English) and unimaginative level design, with underused fists that timed out so quickly you barely had enough time to use them on the 1 thing you're meant to, which was usually insultingly close by.

I think in most games that don't use proper voices the characters actually have more personality than if there was a voice assigned to them. Rayman shouldn't have a voice, neither should Link, and neither should Gordon Freeman.

Oh, I have. I played it on GBA. I love it. I also have the GBC version, but that one was just loosely based on the original. Both are great games. More difficult than one might think at first glance.

nah dude it sucks on gba.. the music is aweful and it's far too easy.. plus I;m convinced they left some levels out...

graphics were awesome for gba but it's not the real deal.

Oh i forgot, also have the GBC one! It's cut down & adapted but still a very impressive version. They used scanline effects to change palettes, so it has way more colours on screen than usual, and really good animation too.

Special mention too to Rayman 3 on the GBA, it was 2D and based off Rayman 2, nuff said :)

Edited by mr_bogus