NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
christophicus

P2P or Torrent

Ok Hopefully i should be getting a 3mb NTl line in within the next month(finally i can get rid of my accursed 56k modem)and i was wondering which is better for downloading file/music,A p2p program or a torrent?

i'm not sure how the admins will feel about this thread, but bluejay's advice sounds about right. make sure you're not downloading anything illegal though ;)

i'm not sure how the admins will feel about this thread, but bluejay's advice sounds about right. make sure you're not downloading anything illegal though ;)

Of course im not going to be downloading anything illegal,,,cough,,,,cough(Its not actually illegal to download music,its up;oading it thats illegal)

And the mods shouldnt be worried about this thread because i will be downloadin music that Is not copywrited like small bands ,of course,heh hmmmmm.lol

by the way which is the best p2p client and which is the best torrent program.

I use microtorrent ( http://www.utorrent.com/ ) which is the lightest bittorrent client on resources.

As for peer to peer, technically bittorrent IS peer to peer, but I get the idea. I use DC++ but it's not the simplest program to use or get into, but you can find a lot more rare and cool shit as well as ****loads of music, but don't ask me how to set it up, if you really want to get into it, read the faqs etc on the site ( http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net )

Edit: Oh god not fucking swear filters again.

What?! There's a fucking shitting swear bastarding filter again? The ****s...

Hmmmm... why is that banned but the others aren't?

I have no idea, I like the word c u n t, it's not even offensive, it's kinda cute.

I just think that pretending that every single person on the internet doesn't already know all the swearwords there are to know and isn't jaded by them at all is childish.

Its not that if they see "the c-word" on the internet it will be the first time, its just its still considered to be the harshest swearing word so for the sake of it its censored.

And yeah this topic (the P2P/Torrent one) can remain open if no illegalness rears its head. For now anyway.

Yeah, if i did want to download something like a movie, not that I would, then in such a case I would use a torrent. If I ever wanted to get hold of a more popular album, if I ever did, just to preview it, then I would also get a torrent for it.

P2P, like DC++ is 'apparently' where its all at. My underground metal needs are all there, albums, individual songs, rare videos. I haven't looked though...

Its not that if they see "the c-word" on the internet it will be the first time, its just its still considered to be the harshest swearing word so for the sake of it its censored.

And yeah this topic (the P2P/Torrent one) can remain open if no illegalness rears its head. For now anyway.

I find the word inoffensive unless used against people in anger, it's cute and reminds me of good things, but maybe that's just me.

Of course these good folks are intending to download Linux ISOs using these pieces of software, naturally.

I just think that pretending that every single person on the internet doesn't already know all the swearwords there are to know and isn't jaded by them at all is childish.

No, no. Arguing because you can't say swearwords is childish.

Yeah, if i did want to download something like a movie, not that I would, then in such a case I would use a torrent. If I ever wanted to get hold of a more popular album, if I ever did, just to preview it, then I would also get a torrent for it.

P2P, like DC++ is 'apparently' where its all at. My underground metal needs are all there, albums, individual songs, rare videos. I haven't looked though...

So would i be right in saying torrents are faster then programs such as DC++,but (p2p) programs have a greater variety?I too am into metal and have been looking for new interesting metal.

I find the word inoffensive unless used against people in anger, it's cute and reminds me of good things, but maybe that's just me.

Problem is you're in a minority there.

Personally, I prefer bit torrents over P2P. This is because I have found that torrents are more reliable. It is really easy for a P2P seeder to name a virus anything they want. Though, when a torrent creator goes through the effort, and uploads it to a site, it is generally more likely what you want. Though, that is just my thinking, and it seems to work well for me. :hmm:

I would never download anything illegaly, but if i had to choose it would be torrent.

I use them for different things (torrents for big files and other networks for smaller stuff). But ... as has been pointed out above, the torrent network is a P2P network.

So would i be right in saying torrents are faster then programs such as DC++,but (p2p) programs have a greater variety?I too am into metal and have been looking for new interesting metal.

If you are into any type of metal I would get on DC++ and find yourself a few hubs dedicated to metal. Some stuff thats the only way you're gonna find imo. Every album i've ever looked for has been found without much difficulty.

I've never found torrents 'faster' than anything - personally. Once I'll really max out on the down speed and it will last and all will go well, but it seems fairly rare. P2P is nearly always fast, if you pick files with a decent amount of users, but there's so much crap to sift through. The average P2P program will try to claim that a user is offering a full DVD image of some movie that hasn't been released yet at 750kb.

Torrents are a form of p2p >_>

To answer your question I would go with torrents over the average peer to peer client for speed and quality.

A negative thing about torrents is that they kill your connection because of the uploading that you have to do. I guess there are probably ways around this, but I've not used them. I don't like just leeching.

No, no. Arguing because you can't say swearwords is childish.

So be it, I don't care.

Of course im not going to be downloading anything illegal,,,cough,,,,cough(Its not actually illegal to download music,its up;oading it thats illegal)

I would just like to bring this to your attention.

In particular:

If all I do is download music files, am I still breaking the law?

Yes, if the person or network you’re downloading from doesn’t have the copyright holder’s permission.

I would just like to bring this to your attention.

In particular:

I dont know.I was listening to the radio the other day and they said that you will only be cought for uploading.maybe its because they cant proove that you knew you were downloading files that were illegal.

That µTorrent looks good Piro, I'll try it out sometime. ABC is well featured, and easily the best I've tried, but is showing it's age and uses up loads of memory when downloading a lot.

Although I use torrent programs it's typically to try music before I buy. There's few other days to really discover new music as the radio never plays things I like. If something I download is good enough to keep I'll aim to buy it. Having the artwork etc is nice and if someone has produced high quality music they deserve to get paid for it.

A negative thing about torrents is that they kill your connection because of the uploading that you have to do. I guess there are probably ways around this, but I've not used them. I don't like just leeching.

There are two ways to solve this whilst still putting something back into the network:

1) get a torrent client that allows you to set a max total upload setting.

2) install netlimiter, it allows you to limit a program's max upload.

Both prevent your connection effectively dying. For either option select 4Kb.

Sign in to follow this