NEurope
tapedeck

High Voltage Software. Discuss...

I felt this would be a good place to debate some HVS chat as they are seemingly very different from other Wii developers.

It's a matter of weeks away before The Conduit will be sitting on store shelves amongst the hundreds of Wii titles that stand proud (or on sale) on store shelves.

Yet, to me The Conduit will stand out for one thing. It has a real story behind it.

Within that retail package the ghosts of the internet hype machine will rest amongst the many hopes from gamers looking for a great Wii FPS experience. Furthermore The Conduit proves a love letter of sorts to Nintendo gamers from HVS themselves. They sat up, took notice and did their homework on what a Wii FPS title could truly be. HVS cared about the traditional gamers so much that they drew the influences of Halo, Half Life, Perfect Dark into a title not to mention online FPS powerhouses such as COD and many other classics. Heck, they even included Wii Speak support - sussing it out themselves. It's like Rare circa 1980 all over again.

We all know The Conduit presents an opportunity for gamers and developers on Wii. Early adopters of the console are still here afterall, it just seems like we've been sat waiting for more traditional games to get our teeth into. An original IP FPS wrapped up in a labour of love seems like a fitting title to show that hardcore gamers are Wii owners en masse.

HVS had the following to say when deciding to develop The Conduit on Wii specifically:

"Fortunately we've done our homework and decided from early on to develop a game style that had already proven successful on the Wii. Although The Conduit is very different in terms of gameplay, story, and visual style from games like Metroid and Red Steel, they are also T-Rated Wii-exclusive first-person shooters and they did extremely well on the system. We expect that the same hardcore audience has been hungry for a new Wii-exclusive FPS ever since those other games were released, and The Conduit is set to deliver the experience they've been waiting for."

It seems eons since the title was revealed and now HVS have gone on to show off other titles such as The Grinder and Gladiator A.D.

Gladiator looks like Mortal Kombat with a 300 theme and The Grinder looks like their best 'game' idea yet. Monsters + Guns + swords & co-op = success!

Yet are HVS just taking the Nintendo approach to gaming? Are they becoming the blue ocean software house on Wii? Or are they just in the limelight for making an 'effort'? Does that reflect on Wii and Nintendo in general and not on HVS as a studio?

Cynically, have they only shown off future titles to ride on their media coverage of The Conduit and to pledge their commitment to developing for Wii long term?

So far we've seen less love for Gladiator A.D., lots of love for The Conduit and (so-far) The Grinder.

Does this mean that the FPS genre is, traditionally an indication of power/graphical prowess? Is that the genre Wii needs more of?

Look to Wolfenstein, DOOM, Goldeneye, Halo, Killzone2 - titles which pushed their respective platforms. All FPS titles. Do FPS games somehow interest gamers on a level say, a platformer couldn't?

So, where are HVS coming from?

The cynical side of me says they are that blue ocean company giving original IP's to Wii gamers dunking each title in 'mature' themes in an effort to capture those old gamers who are now bathing in Sony and Microsoft's pools.

But I also think we should embrace HVS for having the determination to listen to gamers, develop exciting, innovative Wii-embracing software and to have the sheer soul to give jaded Wii owners something else to look forward. If Wii is to be remembered fondly, the console needs titles like The Conduit, The Grinder and Gladiator A.D.

I like how they listen to gamers too. Has there ever been a potential top-tier company developing for a Nintendo console that seemed so "friendly" and like they valued our opinion?

Thoughts as ever. : peace:

Okay, firstly I would say people are exagerated about Conduit and Grinder NOT because they're FPS but because Gladiator just looks average in most repsects - 3D fighting game is very limiting in it's nature, there aren't many good examples of the genre to get excited about it, the setting doesn't seem to be that exciting, the art is generic.....I just don't see anything to get excited about, and obviously others feel the same.

As for High Voltage; yeah of course they've seen a gap and they're trying to exploit it, but at the same time, I think they genuinely do care; they love the Wii and want to provide the best quality experiences, experiences they genuinely feel we (as core Wii gamers) want. Kudos to them!

My main problem is that I don't think they're amazing yet. I know this is ridiculous. I know!! I haven't played any of them. But from their WiiWare games, from the reports on Conduit - it seems technically they;re fab, they know how to make very good games. But to compare them to rare is a little premature I think. I think the conduit will be a GREAT game, but primarily because of the features in the game and not necessarily because of the design....does this make sense?

We'll see. I personally love them as a company and I will support them with my money on day one.

I'm kind of torn about HVS. While the gameplay for their games does look like fun (except for Gladiator), and it looks like there is definitely a lot of effort going into all their games (except for Gladiator), and they all seem to use the Wii's power really well (except for Gladiator), they just seem to be games and nothing new - they all look extremely generic (especially Gladiator) which makes it hard for me to get too excited for them.

Well, except for The...erm *goes to check the game's name*...ah. The Grinder. Anyway, The Grinder is definitely going to be fun to play despite the genericness. Halo 3 was also horribly generic (but unlike the HVS games - except Gladiator - it had poor gameplay, poor gameplay and minimal effort) and yet was still a ton of fun with a few friends.

I also like how honest they seem - for the *thinks hard*...oh yeah, The Grinder (the name is instantly forgettable) they essentially said that they wanted to make a game like Left 4 Dead, rather than saying something like "We've had this idea for ages, but haven't been able to make it until now".

However, they should can Gladiator as it's a guaranteed flop.

I think people will love gladiator when they see it in motion, their models for the characters are amazing.

I like their efforts but it isn't the point dipping every one of their games into the gore pool.. They seem to believe that is what "mature " is.. sega seem as well and I know a lot of average gamers used to lap this up...

back on the megadrive or ps1 games that had blood were a novelty and were a rare occurance. they felt edgy and well... cool.. But now EVERY 2nd or 3rd game does it so it's pretty meh now..

I;m worried for them but I wil say it's a brave move by them but they REALLY maybe are going too far.. as a gamer I love most of what they are doing but part of me says.. how long will it last? every company needs their occasional shovelware..

oh well.. to summarise.. they have half an idea in what their doing but I can't see them lasting very long as a company... what they are doing is very risky I think.

I think people will love gladiator when they see it in motion, their models for the characters are amazing.

screams of the type of game that wouln't sell well though.. I mean an fps, fair enough but a 3d fighter based on gladiators.. nah

Can I really be the only one who thinks Gladiator A.D has massive potential? Sure I know little about it like everyone else and what I've seen thus far doesn't exactly ooze originality, but I don't get why everyone is knocking it before they've even seen it in motion, let alone played the damn thing.

To me is simple: I love their attitude, they're technical above the average, and they're artistically bad. In the end, they lack the talent/resources to get talent to transform good/very good titles in awesome, but they have a lot of credit in what they do and I truly respect that.

Hope they get the recognition they deserve.

Can I really be the only one who thinks Gladiator A.D has massive potential? Sure I know little about it like everyone else and what I've seen thus far doesn't exactly ooze originality, but I don't get why everyone is knocking it before they've even seen it in motion, let alone played the damn thing.

Nope, you aren't. Methinks the problem is that people nowadays just don't find ancient Rome to be such a cool setting anymore.

Feed'm sci-fi and gore and they're happy, but venture where only few devs have gone before and you get comments like "can Gladiator because it's a guaranteed flop," and of course the apparently obligatory "game art is generic" remark. Cue random facepalm gif.

As I said somewhere before, I'm beginning to love Nofsinger and co. Not supporting them while at the same time crying out for more and better Wii exclusives is immoral imho. Worthy of being yelled at by Mr. Garrison with caps lock on (as in, "you die, you go to hell and you die"). On top of that, nobody's even played their first Wii title yet. So at the very least, the benefit of doubt is still on their side.

But hey, that's just me.

People seem to be way too critical nowadays.

I'm actually liking the sounds of Gladiator AD. But as I said before, I have an interest in Ancient Rome.

HVS could easily have just done what they've done before on other consoles with the Wii and release shovel-ware and licensed titles. But they didn't, they're making amazing looking games for the hardcore audience while "everyone" else is making shovel-ware.

There games might look a bit generic, but from what we've heard about The Conduit at least is that it plays extremely well, and they're pushing the console in ways people never thought was possible. Perhaps if The Conduit is the success it deserves to be, they'll be able to hire some better artists.

they're pushing the console in ways people never thought was possible.

I disagree with that. It never seemed impossible - it's just that no developer bothered to do so.

I love HVS because they take the Wii seriously. They genuinely seem to care about the Wii and it's audience and want to provide well produced, polished core games with fully fleshed out features that are often lacking in Wii games.

Even Nintendo themselves and second party developers have released great games but have left out key options - for example Link's Crossbow Training is amazing, but why no online leaderboards? Metroid Prime Corruption, stunning, but online - which is even more criminal as Echoes had local multiplayer. Punch Out, another stunner but why no online?

Then HVS come along and give us the Conduit, built from the ground up with the kind of options and that you would expect from a modern game. Fully customisable controls, customisable HUD and online with voice chat. It's not a cut down version of a PS360 game, it's not a dumbed down game with 'wacky cartoon characters' and it's not another waggle fest full of mini games.

What's more their games look good. We've seen games on the Wii that are comparable to N64 titles. Then HVS come along and we're seeing games that look great and move smoothly. They're a developer that hasn't gone down the easy route, they've not produced a sports or mini game fest. They've made games that core gamers want.

On the flip side, I haven't actually played any HVS games as of yet. So even though they've put in a lot of effort, we're yet to see if it pays off. But I'm sure that even if the conduit doesn't scale the dizzy heights of Halo or Modern Warfare, it's still a huge step in the right direction and whilst not groundbreaking, it's going to be a lot of fun.

Yeah, I agree with you Zechs, especially about pushing the console. If developers see another dev pushing the console surely they should take a look at themselves and think "man, our graphics/support sucks in comparison to those new guys!". Clearly I'm talking about the 3rd party developers whom you would expect great things from (Namco, Capcom, Squeenix, EA, Ubisoft). Yeah, those devs do have 'some' good looking titles on Wii, but their support is (at times) poor and some of their titles have been lazy ports or poor graphically. (EA are hugely improved though!)

Hopefully HVS will make other developers sit up and cast their Wii doubts to the side. Like I said in my opening post, The Conduit has a lot riding on it. Unfortunately.

Edited by tapedeck

I disagree with that. It never seemed impossible - it's just that no developer bothered to do so.

I believe there were quite a few developers who after seeing the trailer said that they didn't think some of the effects used were possible on the Wii. I'm going by their opinions not mine.

Yeah, I agree with you Zechs, especially about pushing the console. If developers see another dev pushing the console surely they should take a look at themselves and think "man, our graphics/support sucks in comparison to those new guys!". Clearly I'm talking about the 3rd party developers whom you would expect great things from (Namco, Capcom, Squeenix, EA, Ubisoft). Yeah, those devs do have 'some' good looking titles on Wii, but their support is (at times) poor and some of their titles have been lazy ports or poor graphically. (EA are hugely improved though!)

Hopefully HVS will make other developers sit up and cast their Wii doubts to the side. Like I said in my opening post, The Conduit has a lot riding on it. Unfortunately.

That's an interesting point actually about other devs, and I think it has already started to make a difference. Both Capcom and EA have already taken up the mantle with RE Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space, both of which look lovely and both devs have claimed will be amongst the best, if not THE best looking Wii games.

I think the later half of this year the Wii is going to see some fantastic third party support.

New game is coming according to Nintendo Power

Astro Boy (Wii)

-developed by High Voltage Software

-70% of the game is side and vertical scrolling levels made up of 2D action/platforming (like Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)

-30% of the game is made out of shooter levels ala Gradius (or Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)

There is already a Wiki page on the new Astro Boy game. Claims that it will release with the movie...

I disagree with the "unfortunately" part of this sentence. The Conduit is HVS to many people and it's a game that will define the company. Out of the games we know about, it's also the one that screams to me "franchise" whereas the others do not. They've been very confident in interviews and they've lapped up the hype - in particular the attention that they have received from IGN. They do appear to be listening to the numerically underestimated Wii gamers and deserve praise for this. Also, on what I'm sure is an unpopular note, so do IGN for embracing HVS so well. At the end of the day though, The Conduit HAS and SHOULD be good. They've had long enough to get it right. The feature set is fantastic, as is the tech. Now the gameplay, something that Wii owners especially put above all else, has to match up. It doesn't have to be the next Halo, HL or CoD4. But it does need to a good experience with the sales to match. I really hope it's a million seller and also a fun game.

I'm a fan of HVS and Ill give anything they do benefit of the doubt, they're work will no doubt increase in quality over time. Regardless, they have set themselves up with The Conduit and now they simply must deliver.

As someone who played several of their past games already (including titles such as Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude), I must say their track record is not very bright, to say the least.Their past titles have been quite generic and uninteresting, they're the type of company that "specializes" in quick cash-in titles or ports.

I find it surprising, to say the least, that many are already "fans" of HVS (as several already expressed on this forums), even without trying their games. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually going to purchase The Conduit, but based on their track record it would be natural to expect a bit more "suspicion" about the quality of their titles, instead of this "embrace".

Having said that, they obviously have to be commended for identifying a lack of original, build from the ground up, third-party titles for the Wii (especially in the so called "mature" category), and trying to explore it to their gain.

I can't say there's many (if any) company that currently has 3 original retail titles in the works for the Wii.

Speaking specifically about The Conduit, no matter the technical merits the title may have, it looks to me that it's a rather generic FPS game, and not a remarkably good either. I'm looking forward to it just for the simple fact that I want to play a new FPS on the Wii (because of the controls), and because I found a few of the maps to be somewhat interesting.

Both of their future titles also look quite generic. Gladiator A.D.'s supposed appeal seems to rely purely on the use of gore and dismemberments, although admittedly we haven't seen much of the game so far. The Grinder fares a bit better with me (due to my attraction for monsters and the supernatural as a theme), but again it looks like a generic, underwhelming title.

You have to remember, the nature of their past games forced them to rush just about everything else they've done. Its a clean slate for them I'd say because they aren't under the limitations they were before. And based on their technical achievement and the dedication they've expressed towards what they're doing, and to their fans, its enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. Most impressions are good too. The ones that aren't seem to be trying to find something to complain about.

You have to remember, the nature of their past games forced them to rush just about everything else they've done. Its a clean slate for them I'd say because they aren't under the limitations they were before. And based on their technical achievement and the dedication they've expressed towards what they're doing, and to their fans, its enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. Most impressions are good too. The ones that aren't seem to be trying to find something to complain about.

Don't get me wrong, I will "judge" The Conduit purely on the merits of the game, not their past work. I am certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they are working on brand new, internally developed IPs.

I'm a bit "cautious" in my expectations for the title because of my past experiences with their games, but if I'm positively surprised by the quality of the title, the better.

And I certainly won't have any kind of prejudice against these new titles because of their past work. I certainly don't held Popcap games in the best of regards, very much on the contrary, but recently, against all expectations, I rather enjoyed a game of theirs, Plants vs Zombies. It happens.

They can advertise their fancy Dynametric Light Tightening and Reframbriance all they want. But in the end their games look ugly as sin. Gladiator AD looks more like a parody of generic HD games on the Wii.

They haven't proven themselves yet on the gameplay side of things, and that's what matters.

I still laugh at people going on and on about how they are putting "effort" into making games. In the end, 99% of all devs put effort into making the games, if they didn't they wouldn't have a job.

It's nice that they listen to fans, because in the end, they don't have a proper publishing company funding them to get feedback from. Also, they clearly want a decent reputation.

No matter how good they are at making "fancy" graphics and ¡Approxiflexion they still need to show that they can make a good game. If the conduit is great, and widely hailed, great, then they have even more pressure to do a good job with that awful orange Gladiator game that bears no representation of Roman history whatsoever Mr. I have an interest in Ancient Rome.

Mr. I have an interest in Ancient Rome.

I think when I said that it was before they had revealed much about the game. Just a couple screens which looked like it still could be more realistic. But realistic or not, the setting of Ancient Rome itself is still interesting, I doubt that many historic games are an accurate representation and still fun to the masses.

Edited by Emasher

I very much doubt any historic game is an accurate representation and still fun to the masses.

With the notable exception of the Total War series.

As someone else has already stated, we haven't played the Conduit or any of their other games yet, but I think that HVS will grow to become Nintendo's new Rare.

The reason they're getting so much praise is that they're actually treating the Wii like a GCx2 rather than a Dreamcast technology wise. Beyond that they're giving us exclusive, traditional games that seem to be OK. Few other developers seem to care, as they're either bringing out half assed ports or on rail versions of their games.

The reason they're getting hype isn't that they've been developing first person shooters per se. It's more about them developing games that the Wii doesen't have. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd bring out a traditional fighter in the veign of Tekken or Dead or Alive, or maybe a racer.