NEurope

The intro is different on Prime 2 as well - if the Japanese NPC version of Echoes is any indication.

And no I don't just mean the name before some asks.

Found it

Didn't like the Echoes title screen music. I'd gotten so used to Primes, that it felt wrong somehow... like it was trying to be similar because it's the sequel, but a much poorer version. Probably would have prefered them to just use Primes again.

Also, anyone else find the intro crash cutscene to look really poor visually?

So overall Echoes set itself up badly imo.

I really like the old Echoes intro - it's my favourite of the Primes

But the changes there are definitely for the worse.

prime seems like it was better in every way to be honest... including intro and title music.. prime kicks echoes ass..

I think the Echoes intro has the best music of any of the Prime intros.

I liked the Echoes title music. Fitted the subtitle perfectly as well as fitting the more eerie styling to the game with the dark Aether bits. I'd agree though that the Prime 1 music is more synonymous with the series and is the better but the Echoes one isn't bad. And I like the intro as well to that one. The whole thing of leading up to the attack by Dark Samus and the Ing. It's a nice start.

September can't come fast enough as I really want to replay the first two prime titles but tried playing them after Corruption and couldn't get back into the controls.

qustion, with the Wii versions.... how do you change beam weapons in 1 & 2 without the 2nd control stick?

I don't know this for sure, but I'd assume that its similar to changing the visor in 3 but with the other button (+ or -).

I'm sorry but you guys are mostly wrong. Both intros are brilliant, its the Corruption one that was rubbish.

And Prime 1 had a very different feel to the game than Echoes, there's no point in comparing the music as both were fantastic, I suggest you listen to the soundtracks on youtube. Prime 1 has an air of mystery and uplifting sounds and Echoes has dark, relentless music that makes you feel that you won't ever leave Aether. They share similar tense tracks and they are all genuinely perfect for the environments they are made for.

The music just conveys the situation and wonder and is really what made the whole game so brilliant, that isolation feel. Corruption went against this as well as throwing away interesting lore and exciting environments. Plus less exploration and sequences of rooms that didn't need to be visited were left out and it was just a case of bumbling into Missile Expansions in 3.

Edited by dwarf

music was better in prime 1 I thought..

nothing in prime echoes that compared to

just way better than echoes I felt. i can't remember anything from echoes very worthwhile.

id also like to add this in... what better theme to introduce you to the real part of the game..

Edited by mcj metroid

Ah, the Phendrana Drifts music is brilliant as is the Underwater Frigate. The thing with Echoes was that Prime 1 set such a high standard for environments and score so coming after that, it was always going to be a challenge to top it. I don't think we'll ever get a more awesome Metroid moment than stepping out onto Tallon IV for the first time or for stepping out into the Phendrana Drifts for the first time.

Yeh, Corruption didn't give those 'wow' moments but the environments were interesting enough, if only a little withheld in their ingenuity.

You just reminded me of the Underwater Frigate. By far the worst part of the Metroid series.

I thought it was one of the coolest parts. MCJ you're going to be stubborn about this and you may be right in most cases but the important thing is is that the Echoes music was very fitting. It was a much darker game and it did definetly have some great music. Just listen to the sound-track, in fact I'll pick out a few.

I remember Torvus well.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Ing:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I could list pretty much all of it actually, they're less music tracks but more like an unsettling background noise and they are really effective. I'll dig out the bigger themes.

Temple Grounds:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This was just awesome, the space pirates were pretty badass as well.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This sums up the difference between the first and second. The despair and eeryness favoured over a more traditional Prime tune:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Good old Torvus Bog. One of my favourites of all Primes.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The submerged temple from Torvus, another brilliantly mystical theme.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by dwarf

The highlight musically in Echoes was in Torvus, in the underground / underwater part where they re-used the Norfair(?) theme from Super Metroid, other than that though, the original Prime is better audibly.

I thought it was one of the coolest parts. MCJ you're going to be stubborn about this and you may be right in most cases but the important thing is is that the Echoes music was very fitting. It was a much darker game and it did definetly have some great music. Just listen to the sound-track, in fact I'll pick out a few.

I remember Torvus well.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Ing:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I could list pretty much all of it actually, they're less music tracks but more like an unsettling background noise and they are really effective. I'll dig out the bigger themes.

Temple Grounds:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Metroid 2 has just has just as an impressive score, it's just that Metroid Prime came first and it's so easy to associate anything to do with the sequels as being lesser just for the fact they aren't tied to the original.

That said, you could have picked some better music.

My favourites include the Torvus Bog and Temple (it was lower Brinstar S.C.G.) and the Sanctuary Fortress.

Favoutire boss theme is the one used against the Chykka Larva

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Again, it's much different to that of the first Prime in that it conveys a far greater sense of menace and danger, but then that's exactly what they were going for and they certainly pulled it off.

The highlight musically in Echoes was in Torvus, in the underground / underwater part where they re-used the Norfair(?) theme from Super Metroid, other than that though, the original Prime is better audibly.

ya the best parts of the echoes soundtrack were the remakes of the older stuff I thought.

Like the escape theme was remade for the final battle with darksamus and it was excellently used..

Again, it's much different to that of the first Prime in that it conveys a far greater sense of menace and danger, but then that's exactly what they were going for and they certainly pulled it off.

Go over my edit, those first few were just tasters, the underground temple is there.

I remember Torvus well.

Don't get me wrong.. The music in echoes is great and better than corruption at least anyway.

And I don't really blame the composers in this case.. All the environments from echoes were quite similiar to each other. At least moreso than the first game..It must have made it quite challenging to create music for it...

I doubt it's to do with shock factor.. If a piece of music is good I'll like it and I doubt I'd say meh when something sounds similiar to it..In other words If echoes came first and prime came 2nd.. I'd still prefer prime I'd say..

for settling the mood echoes probably did it better than prime.. the dark world REALLY made you feel alone and lost somehow for example... But for music that holds up on it's own prime takes it.. The pieces I youtubed there. Hold up well on their own without gameplay...

Which is an entirely credible post, as standalone music Prime is the winnner, in terms of mood setting and making the game they both work in different ways. Prime felt like an adventure whereas Echoes was more of a struggle.

Don't get me wrong.. The music in echoes is great and better than corruption at least anyway.

Well I'm not sure there is any sole piece of music in Echoes that is better than the Elysia Skytown theme - that was sublime and definitely stands up on it's own.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I'll say something though.. metroid is a classic example of a game series that shouln't use orchestrated tracks.. zelda yes..

I've always got this impression from nintendo fans since smash bros brawl and galaxy that every game should have this.. Not necessarily.

Skytown, well the music isn't that great and I prefer the main Torvus theme to it, plus no environments in 3 captured the brilliance of Prime. They felt empty and not part of a bigger planet or world.

Skytown, well the music isn't that great and I prefer the main Torvus theme to it, plus no environments in 3 captured the brilliance of Prime. They felt empty and not part of a bigger planet or world.

Are you honestly telling me you preferred to trawl the Phazon Mines over the Elysia?

Empty in what sense?

Bryyo had seen their natives lost to war, Elysia had the Chozo leave and the robots ran out of resource to continue producing them, and the Space Pirate Homeworld had most of them away searching for Phazon, establishing their dominance on other planets and generally plundering the galaxy with their new found strength.

In that regard, they were supposed to be empty.

Well I just felt that the other Prime games were (I'm sorry to use the word) more epic. It seemed like there was stuff outside the vivinity of where you were playing. For me Corruption felt like a chain of linear places where Samus could just mess around, especially Elysia, it just had nothing to it.

Let's just say I was disappointed with the structures and environments, there was nothing astounding or hidden away etc.

Prime 3's worlds weren't empty, they were just diluted little bit too much but they still had many moments of uniqueness that would shine through.

Echoes worlds were often like a glass that was half-filled with liquid, sometimes they would feel half-empty, sometimes half-full but never quite in the same way as the first even though it still had moments of genius.

The original Prime's worlds were gaming brilliance distilled to their purest form, never compromising anything be that either good or bad from the players perspective with a view to backtracking but either way you looked at it, there was a vast, meticulously designed overworld to explore that I personally never tired of journeying across many a time. :)