NEurope

Ah, good ol' Metroid!

I've fallen in love all over again with the Metroid-series. Again! This one sweet package! And a good excuse to take a stab at Echoes, which I didn't really play that much.

The minor differences with the GC-version of Prime are odd to say the least, but the additions far outweigh the omissions. I haven't even noticed it untill someone pointed them out. And once it's seen, it can't be unseen... But it can be ignored. :p

Curses, too many games to play: Guitar Hero 5, Beatles, Arkham Asylum...

Actually I find the new method easier and in some cases it allows you to switch to whichever required beam ahead of time, very useful indeed. :heh:

I have to bring my disagreement back into play again. Does noone else find it a hassle that you have to move your hand a fair bit to change your beams/check the map, or is it just the way I hold the remote. Whereas with the cube it was just a swift flick of the thumb.

Pff, he wasn't even hard in the original version of Echoes. The Spider Ball Guardian, now that was a real bitch. I'm glad we got the spring ball now, it made him a lot less frustrating.

I shat on him yesterday, and although I lost more health against him I found him easier than the Boost Guardian.

On Echoes, is the case that you either find the Boost Guardian hard and the Spider Guardian pretty easy or the Spider Guardian Hard and the Boost Guardian a bit easy..?

The hard one for me was the Boost Guardian, I never had the slightest problem with the Spider Guardian.

On Echoes, is the case that you either find the Boost Guardian hard and the Spider Guardian pretty easy or the Spider Guardian Hard and the Boost Guardian a bit easy..?

The hard one for me was the Boost Guardian, I never had the slightest problem with the Spider Guardian.

I am with you, I found Boost hard [took me many attempts on the Cube, was most please they toned him down for the Trilogy] and Spider easy. EchoDesiato disagrees with us.

I have to bring my disagreement back into play again. Does noone else find it a hassle that you have to move your hand a fair bit to change your beams/check the map, or is it just the way I hold the remote. Whereas with the cube it was just a swift flick of the thumb.

I also agree that the cube-method was easier. After all, moving just one finger requires less effort than moving one finger AND your entire hand. Not to mention that selecting the beam can disturb your movement a little. Especially during jumps.

It also took me some time to get used to the on-screen locations for the beams. I accidently switched to the Light Beam instead of the Dark Beam on a few occasions.

TBH I never had any problems with either of them. My most hated battles in Echoes are probably the Grapple Beam Guardian and the Ing Emperor. But only because those battles are sooo annoying.

I've only just finished the Chozo Ruins, and boy am I loving it.

Well, don't mean to spoil anything but no, you haven't finished the Chozo Ruins. :wink:

All of it is very reminiscent of Alien. Or maybe that's just because we've only recently watched the whole quadrilogy in a couple of days.

No, it's intentional - a villain called Ridley (ie. Ridley Scott) and a female protagonist who used to strip off at the end! (They should bring that back!)

It must be. The only problem with the Boost Guardian, I found, is that you may panic and not have enough time to work out a stategy. When you know what you're doing, you're only using skills you developed during the first Prime.

Fire off a Super Missile straight away. When he turns into a ball, do the same and hide behind the columns. Let him destroy all four columns. This way, you have four "hands" to replenish your health (much faster than it runs out, it seemed to me). Bomb them when you go past them, and pick up the health when convenient (dodging the Guardian is the priority).

When he turns into grey mist, let him follow you and bomb the mist until he turns back to full size (you get a cutscene). After the cutscene, you will be on two legs, so make sure you've been charging your beam. Fire off a Super Missile. Keep charging your beam, jumping and dodging and fire off as many Super Missiles as you can until he turns into a ball again. Even if he turns into a black mist (not grey), keep on your feet and wait for him to get up again. It's only when he turns into a ball or grey mist that you need to become a Morph Ball yourself. By the same token, only think about standing up on two feet again again when you get the cutscene of him changing back.

Some people may prefer using the charged Light Beam.

The Spider Guardian, I found very fiddly, as you never really had to use your Morph Ball bombs under pressure in the original Prime.

I also found Screw Attack and Wall Jumping very fiddly at first. Just beaten Quadraxis and I'm a bit nervous about Emperor Ing!

Just purchased Metroid Prime Trilogy from a European retailer after I found out that the cheapest price I would be able to purchase MPT anywhere around me would be around 53euros. Hopefully this means that apart from saving money, I'll obtain the game slightly early.

I need mah Metroid fix, man.

In Prime, Omega Pirate was apparantly one of the hardest bosses, but I remember when I played it on the Cube, it only took one go to defeat him. To be fair, though, I was playing with a walkthrough. I can't wait to face him on Trilogy.

Still no further than yesterday, because I haven't played it yet.

For the next big thing in the metroid universe I think we need a federation trooper spin off. Instead of being soldier A all the time, it would be nice to have some squad based online Alien butt kicking. But I guess it's been left so late it would be classed as a Halo rip off.

Edited by Ten10
Edited for whining

Prime series is over. dead. gone. finished.

Yep... :sad: and sad as it is to let go, I'm looking forward to Metroid : Other M but still... Metroid Prime will always be an outstanding game in the series.

In Prime, Omega Pirate was apparantly one of the hardest bosses, but I remember when I played it on the Cube, it only took one go to defeat him. To be fair, though, I was playing with a walkthrough. I can't wait to face him on Trilogy.

Still no further than yesterday, because I haven't played it yet.

What made/makes the Omega Pirate hard is not him per se, but the fact that some beam specific Pirates get in your way while he is regenerating his health!

What made/makes the Omega Pirate hard is not him per se, but the fact that some beam specific Pirates get in your way while he is regenerating his health!

Yeah but I would always ignore them because you'd have plenty of health to take some hits and still be able to fire off the 3/4 needed super missiles.

Power bombs are your friend.

For the next big thing in the metroid universe I think we need a federation trooper spin off. Instead of being soldier A all the time, it would be nice to have some squad based online Alien butt kicking. But I guess it's been left so late it would be classed as a Halo rip off.

Like an Eternal Darkness multi character thingy?

Like an Eternal Darkness multi character thingy?

I suppose it could work like that, but I would just like to see things from a Fed trooper perspective. Preferably one that is pissed off with the fact that Samus makes them look like powerless imbeciles. Or perhaps a special team of troopers who utilise the P.E.D? (I think) and just do general butt kicking, with some online co-op missions. Which would never happen.

Also to clarify exactly who soldier A is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TA-QJ2d3kk. No youtube embedding due to unrelated subject matter.

Power bombs are your friend.

Never thought of using power bombs before.

I always ignored those pirates as much as possible and waited for Omega to kill his own reinforcements with his shockwaves.:laughing:

With the Omega Pirate, I just ignore the reinforcements unless they're Gold Troopers (in which case I just fire off a couple of quick Super Missiles). Next thing I turn on my X-Ray Visor and keep jumping and turning until the Omega Pirate appears in one of the three pools of Phazon. Completely ignore the Troopers at this point, as it's very unlikely they'll hit you whilst you're moving. Do that twice with two Super Missiles each time and he's easy. :)

I remember from a while back when I played Prime that using the Plasma missile-beam combo worked a charm when all the smaller pirates came along. You just creamed through those martyrs quickly so that you could get on with hitting Omega's weak spot.

I think that's what happens, but I may have very bad memory * watches video.

Well, I decided it's about time I played Metroid Prime again, having not played it since the faraway year of 2005! I haven't started it yet, but yesterday I opened an old save file I'd left unfinished, just to try it out, and oh shit, I can't control it anymore! For almost a year now I own a 360 and have been playing all kinds of its shooters, including Bioshock, Call of Duty, Gears of War, etc, and I'm so used to the dual analogue now.

Prime's controls, which I used to say were the best ever, feel so strange now... I kept changing beams when I wanted to turn, pressing R to shoot, etc. Also, the Cube left stick feels strange now that I'm used to the 360 one. The 360 stick is concave, whilst the Cube one is convex, feels strange.

Anyway, I still think Prime's controls are the best ever on the Cube. They really used that controller to its maximum capabilities.

Anyway, I'm gonna replay a few Gamecube games in the next few times, I really miss some of them, like Metroid Prime, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Resident Evil Remake, Eternal Darkness and Zelda Wind Waker. I now own a 1080p LCD, so I took my old 4:3 to my bedroom to play some old Cube games. I also took the Wii, cause I'm gonna play the Cube games on it, since I have RGB for the Wii but only composite for the Cube itself.

Edited by ...

Wow.

Question: Does playing the game on advanced difficulty settings also add deeper gameplay, or is it just harder baddies?

I envy you Noku, playing thorugh the first Prime and exploring Tallon IV for the first time :D Although saying that, it's just as much fun to rediscover the game all these years later with the brilliant controls and all the little touches! I'm loving it! Had to leave Samus stranded for a week while I was in Liverpool but I'm gonna get back there and help her out in a few days.... can't wait!

We hold the remote the same way, but I've no difficulty in this at all. You don't need to move the pointer much at all, and I find running, dodging, jumping etc while changing beams effortless and doesn't affect my line of vision at all. Feels more natural than a joypad and I find it much easier than using the Cube's d-pad and c-stick, which at the time I thought rocked!

Yay! I got my copy of Metroid Prime: Trilogy today, direct from Europe! I actually noticed something too, on the back, instead of the regular Official Nintendo Seal, it has a much older Official Nintendo Seal of Quality. Anyone else notice this?

Yay! I got my copy of Metroid Prime: Trilogy today, direct from Europe! I actually noticed something too, on the back, instead of the regular Official Nintendo Seal, it has a much older Official Nintendo Seal of Quality. Anyone else notice this?

Never noticed but I don't think I've paid any attention to them for ages, so kudos for spotting it!

Have to say I'll be SO glad when I get home from work today, will be home about 4 and my girlfriend is off on holiday for a week with her auntie, cousins and granny. That's not what I'm looking forward to :laughing: I now have every night this week free to finally get back to Samus :D :D Currently sitting on 80% pick-ups and something like 93% log book entries and I'm itching to get back to it after not being able to for over a week!

Never noticed but I don't think I've paid any attention to them for ages, so kudos for spotting it!

Have to say I'll be SO glad when I get home from work today, will be home about 4 and my girlfriend is off on holiday for a week with her auntie, cousins and granny. That's not what I'm looking forward to :laughing: I now have every night this week free to finally get back to Samus :D :D Currently sitting on 80% pick-ups and something like 93% log book entries and I'm itching to get back to it after not being able to for over a week!

I finished the first yesterday: 100% Items, 100% Scans! WOO! Starting Echoes tonight :)