NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ellmeister

Exams 2009!

I got some grades back for all my Japanese modules this year, the scores were as follows:

69, 68, 84, 84, 53 (dunno wtf happened there), 72, 72 and 60. Each was out of 100.

That comes to a total of 562/800. Which is 70.25% and that's a first class grade. However they gave me a "Weighted Total" of 68.5% (higher second class). Do you think I should contest this? Or does anyone know something about University marking systems that I don't?

Weighted Total sounds like they counted your 2nd year (did you do it last year?)- did you ever work out your average from that year?

I got some grades back for all my Japanese modules this year, the scores were as follows:

69, 68, 84, 84, 53 (dunno wtf happened there), 72, 72 and 60. Each was out of 100.

That comes to a total of 562/800. Which is 70.25% and that's a first class grade. However they gave me a "Weighted Total" of 68.5% (higher second class). Do you think I should contest this? Or does anyone know something about University marking systems that I don't?

Some modules are worth more perhaps? I dunno how it works for you. It's like with my language modules, the actual spoken and written ones are where the points are, the politics, culture and Europe side of things are worth about half as much in comparison.

Yeah looking at it I think that is the case, it's just confusing because the module guide says that your grade is an average of all coursework scores, but another place says separate percentages for certain assignments.

Edit: I did the math, shit, they got it right.

Sem 2 Oral(20.0%) 72

Sem 2 Listening(5.0%) 72

Sem 2 Learning packs(10.0%) 60

Sem 2 Reading /Writing(15.0%) 53

Sem 1 Oral(20.0%) 68

Sem 1 Listening(5.0%) 84

Sem 1 learning packs(10.0%) 84

Sem 1 Reading/writing(15.0%) 69

= 68.5

If I had got 69.5 they would've rounded it up to a first. I was 1 percent off. What the heck happened with my reading and writing exam? :(

Edited by Shorty

Yeah looking at it I think that is the case, it's just confusing because the module guide says that your grade is an average of all coursework scores, but another place says separate percentages for certain assignments.

Edit: I did the math, shit, they got it right.

Sem 2 Oral(20.0%) 72

Sem 2 Listening(5.0%) 72

Sem 2 Learning packs(10.0%) 60

Sem 2 Reading /Writing(15.0%) 53

Sem 1 Oral(20.0%) 68

Sem 1 Listening(5.0%) 84

Sem 1 learning packs(10.0%) 84

Sem 1 Reading/writing(15.0%) 69

= 68.5

If I had got 69.5 they would've rounded it up to a first. I was 1 percent off. What the heck happened with my reading and writing exam? :(

Ouch man, I feel for you but regardless, you've got yourself a very good mark there, so don't knock it!

Wooo I just did a Chains/Rings/Spectroscopy and marked it harshly and scraped an A!

...I guess revision does work... :o

Ah that's a bit of a kick in the balls. But that's still a good grade! Well done, dude.

Took my English Language exam in January and got an A, only 2 marks away from full marks. That marvellous little achievement means I don't have to resit it tomorrow morning. :D My short story based on 24 also landed me an A, and the second piece, where I will be reviewing my short story, is heading the same way. Soooo that's good. :heh:

Already had a Geography exam yesterday which went down pretty well, a lot better than the exam in January (which I didn't sit, we hadn't covered enough ground at that point). I'm due to take the second paper on Tuesday.

ICT in the morning, which I'm not very confident in. Due to the incompetence of whoever organised subjects, I have to do this in my spare time as it clashes with media studies. I've only just finished the coursework - I was informed that the deadline was June, when it was in fact today. Cue a hardcore writing session last night and for most of the morning/afternoon, and I managed to nail what was supposed to be three or four months of work at a surprisingly high level of quality. I'm doing a bit of cramming right now. :heh:

Media Studies exam on June 1st, which I'm very confident I'll pass. My coursework (the production of an action movie trailer and a website, starring ReZ) earned me an A, and I'm pretty good at the subject as it is.

Good Luck Haggis in your Psychology and Coolness!

Hopefully your stressing out isn't as bad as you think. I have a fact pattern here but I can't find half the problems. Stupid Contract law.

Hopefully your stressing out isn't as bad as you think. I have a fact pattern here but I can't find half the problems. Stupid Contract law.

Thanks! It's in less than an hour now, and I'm totally freaking out. I think I know more than I think I do...but it's just the fact I totally fucked it up last time that's making mer nervous.

Plus, with two exams in a row, I'm thinking I'm going to do well on the first and then BAM, forget everything for the second. Eeeek.

My HSK Chinese exam is tomorrow. It lasts for 3 and a half hours! sheesh... I swear that it wasnt so long last time. Its only HSK Basic and I'm hoping to get an A this time. Ive somehow learnt around 1000 words and characters in the last two weeks (I completed a New Practical Chinese Reader book each week) and hopefully that extra vocab will help me on the reading sections. I couldnt understand a single thing last time and still passed!

If all goes well and I get an A, I will be doing the intermediate exam in October and If I can learn another 1000-1500 words in the next 6 months, I'm sure that I'll do very well. I'll complete all 5 New Practical Chinese Readers by October, bringing my completed book count to 9.:) Might make that 10.

Wooo I just did a Chains/Rings/Spectroscopy and marked it harshly and scraped an A!

...I guess revision does work... :o

Nucleophilic addition across a C=O bond..yum!

Thanks! :)

I've just got back from it.

It was fun to watch the effects of stress take place as the AS students stood nervously shaking looking at me as if I wasn't normal, as I was unphased by the whole ordeal. :p I even got violently shaken (in jest) by one person who was getting even more stressed by my passiveness!

If I don't get a B or even maybe an A, I'll be very annoyed. I knew all the answers, (pretty much), I just ran out of time for the last question which is never good. Having too much to say can't be a bad thing though! :D

English exam went pretty darn well. The general consesus among my collegues is that it was okay, so here's hoping I can actually get an A in something...

Anybody else do the Higher English exam today? It was crazy how much of the marks were allocated to "Explain in your own words". You could literally get a B with just those questions, I'm pretty sure it was something like 30 of the 50 marks.

Not that I'm complaining. Unless they are anal about the wording of the questions I'm pretty sure I got near enough 50/50 for the Close Reading, and the essays went fine. Should be a comfortable A.

Started my Uni exams yesterday....went ok. Next week is gonna be a killer though.....4 exams in 5 days. Fun times.

Anybody else do the Higher English exam today? It was crazy how much of the marks were allocated to "Explain in your own words". You could literally get a B with just those questions, I'm pretty sure it was something like 30 of the 50 marks.

Not that I'm complaining. Unless they are anal about the wording of the questions I'm pretty sure I got near enough 50/50 for the Close Reading, and the essays went fine. Should be a comfortable A.

What texts did you do this year?

My A-level English isn't for a while yet.

The two I wrote essays for were A Streetcar Named Desire and Mental Cases (poem by Wilfred Owen). Choose a play which portrays a difference in value between character and setting (Streetcar) and Choose a poem which portrays an emotion (anguish, Mental Cases). Got pretty lucky with the question choice really, they both fit really well. I decided to only learn one poem (out of laziness...) and had I chosen my other one (Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy) none of the questions would have fit and I'd have been screwed.

I hate learning Poems. Sadly I have my Romantic poets resit coming up and then bloody Hopkins on top of that.

I think I did Mental Cases too. Can't remember.

It's the one about soldiers who came back from war and went mental. Hence the name. So lots of nice blood imagery that is easy to write about.

How come your doing English A Level anyway? That one of the quirks of the private school you go to?

It's the one about soldiers who came back from war and went mental. Hence the name. So lots of nice blood imagery that is easy to write about.

How come your doing English A Level anyway? That one of the quirks of the private school you go to?

Yeah, they mish-mash it, to provide a stronger base or whatever, so you can go wherever. As far as I'm aware, not sure it makes A HUGE difference anyway.

I did 9 GCSE's, then 3 AS Levels and 3 Highers, and now just 3 A Levels.

"Edinburgh Academy; Catering to the individual!" *

*except if you don't want to join the CCF because of your personal beliefs. And if you want to have hair beyond your neckline.

My computing exams were ok today. 3 Hours is not fun though with only 5 mins inbetween the papers for a break. Taking a rest today before back to revision tomorrow.

Next exam is Maths Stats 1, which I will be ok at as long as I do the past papers. Nathan, what exam board are you for Media Studies? Mine is OCR, my exam for it is June 1st too and pretty confident. (Got an A in my music magazine and website coursework, can't believe the coursework is worth 50%!) You doing the TV drama analysis as well as British institution?

Yeah, they mish-mash it, to provide a stronger base or whatever, so you can go wherever. As far as I'm aware, not sure it makes A HUGE difference anyway.

I did 9 GCSE's, then 3 AS Levels and 3 Highers, and now just 3 A Levels.

"Edinburgh Academy; Catering to the individual!" *

*except if you don't want to join the CCF because of your personal beliefs. And if you want to have hair beyond your neckline.

Hahaha a bit random. Are the curriculums much different? I'd imagine stuff like Modern Studies would be changed alot. Theres a big focus on Scottish Parliament etc in that that I wouldn't expect is in the A Levels.

Edited by Gizmo

Nucleophilic addition across a C=O bond..yum!

Yum indeed! The only things I seem to be losing marks on is naming mechanisms, and remembering conditions and reagents.

Hahaham a bit random. Are the curriculums much different? I'd imagine stuff like Modern Studies would be changed alot. Theres a big focus on Scottish Parliament etc in that that I wouldn't expect is in the A Levels.

I did Mods last year. I don't thin kwe even did the Scottish Parliament. lol.

We did...US Policitics, UK Politics/Electoral Systems and African politics (not South Africa).

Not Scottish specifically IIRC.

Oh shut up. Sorry, I did Higher Mod. Studs. too. In my school, they do Modern Studies higher, and then the next step on from that is Politics A-level (in a single year).

Sign in to follow this