N-Europe

Unusual controllers

The Dualshock is just too small for me. Although I think most of that could be alleviated with switching the left stick and D-Pad around.

Plus they should use the nice round prongs from the original PS1 controller. The PS2/PS3 ones dig into my hands.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel Batallion Controller (Xbox)

23214-steel%20battalion%20controller.jpg

This thing is the daddy. The game itself it quite average, but the controller is a big heavy bastard that is just awesome and confusing to use. Once you get used to it though, it's rad.

My friend was telling me that as your mech started to blow up, you had to press the eject button in order to save your progress.

My friend was telling me that as your mech started to blow up, you had to press the eject button in order to save your progress.

Not necessarily to save so much as if you don't eject you die. Death is final.

My earliest controller was the one that came with the Binatone system. It's not really unusual, but they are really old and basic. It had no buttons, just a dial. This is the only pic I could find of them (to the left of the console).

[ATTACH]2699[/ATTACH]

A]

haha we still have the binatone at my local games sociaty in college.. its still crazy fun and im still unbeatable :) may be weird controllers but there is no better way to play pong..

nothing is weirder than this and unlike the rest this is the official controller of the console(atari jaguar)

Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

Yeah wtf is that speedboard?! How did that ever get released. If you came up with that product now you would be shot. They should've been shot back then.

In 20 years, they'll say the same about those golf club and tennis racquet attachments for the Wii remote.

Anyway, the accessories featured in the video are:

The Zapper

The Super Scope

The Miracle Piano

The Power Pad

The Speed Board

The Laser Scope

The Roll & Rock

The U Force

For those too lazy to watch it.

Edited by Emasher

I always stay away from third-party controllers as I find that the official pads are so far superior that playing with anything else feels wrong :heh: ..however, I do remember seeing the MakoPad for the N64 years ago and thinking that it looked really weird and uncomfortable........

makopad.jpg

.........so weird and uncomfortable that I would love a go on it just to see what it is like :heh: I'm sure as hell not gonna waste money on finding out though :eek:

The right half actually looks like it could be OK (depending, of course, on the quality of the buttons) but I just can't for the life of me see how you could possibly grip the left half comfortably :o

Also on the N64 was the Ultra Racer.. and it looked like a strange piece of equipment too : peace:

ultra.jpg

Not sure if I ever saw either in any of the shops I've been to.. but my hands are probably thankful for not having that experience :yay:

Edited by nekunando

Idk about the ultra racer, but that Makopad looks pretty good to me. As for 3rd party pads, they are usually worse, but my bro got a MadCatz pad for the 360, it has the best feature ever. On the bottom of it is a switch that will turn inverted on or off without having to go through the games menus or anything.

I always stay away from third-party controllers as I find that the official pads are so far superior that playing with anything else feels wrong :heh: ..however, I do remember seeing the MakoPad for the N64 years ago and thinking that it looked really weird and uncomfortable........

makopad.jpg

.........so weird and uncomfortable that I would love a go on it just to see what it is like :heh: I'm sure as hell not gonna waste money on finding out though :eek:

The right half actually looks like it could be OK (depending, of course, on the quality of the buttons) but I just can't for the life of me see how you could possibly grip the left half comfortably :o

Also on the N64 was the Ultra Racer.. and it looked like a strange piece of equipment too : peace:

ultra.jpg

Not sure if I ever saw either in any of the shops I've been to.. but my hands are probably thankful for not having that experience :yay:

OMG I've used that ultra racer I have memories of using it quite a bit yet I don't remember owning it must have borrowed it off someone.

makopad.jpg

I have a MakoPad somewhere. I don't remember it being too bad or too uncomfortable, but it wasn't as good as the official one.

..you should get it out and see how it feels now :heh:

When I look at it, I get the impression that if you get a comfortable grip of the controller, the D-Pad and Analogue Stick are bound to be at an angle to where you would like them to be.. I've always been curious of that :eek:

I remember that Mako pad, always annoyed me because it lacked the symmetrical design of the official controller! That Ultra Racer contraption also brings back memories, don't recall seeing one in the flesh but do remember looking through magazines wondering how in the hell you were supposed to seriously play games with it. Or how it could have been any fun for that matter.

Wierd controllers?

9-22-08-rock-band-portable-.jpg

Why? Just why? It practically kills the game...

0,1425,sz=1&i=157575,00.jpg

The bastard son of a PS2 pad and a PC trackball mouse!

0,1425,sz=1&i=157573,00.jpg

A modified chainsaw controller. http://www.chainsawcontroller.com/

914829-a.jpg

The OCZ NIA. Control games with your mind!!!!

Alphagrip.jpg

The Alphagrip. Every single keyboard button on a control pad. Improves your typing speed apparently...

one-handed-xbox-360-controller.jpg

The single handed 360 controller. Play no longer interrupts beer drinking :D

DStrikeT.jpg

Microsoft's Sidewinder: Dual Strike

My earliest controller was the one that came with the Binatone system. It's not really unusual, but they are really old and basic. It had no buttons, just a dial. This is the only pic I could find of them (to the left of the console).

[ATTACH]2699[/ATTACH]

I had one of them! Was bloomin awesome! I wonder where it's gotten to? Bet the rents threw it out when they moved house :angry:

I had one of them! Was bloomin awesome! I wonder where it's gotten to? Bet the rents threw it out when they moved house :angry:

Awesome indeed. Imagine the next generation controllers coming out after those - Woah! They've put a button on the controller! Talk about an unprecedented revolution in hardware design.

It's strange to see the stuff that people tried, I remember seeing Nintendo's non-used prototype/ideas a while back, so intriguing! It does bug me when people describe pads as being left or right handed though, that's like saying a book's got handedness.