NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Ugh, why? Amazon prime is a shit service over here. I mean, really shit. A shame they don't do the exact same thing as with Discovery. Amazon obviously payed a lot of money for this, but I suspect the real reason is simply their own service not doing so well.

Just now, Sméagol said:

Ugh, why? Amazon prime is a shit service over here. I mean, really shit. A shame they don't do the exact same thing as with Discovery. Amazon obviously payed a lot of money for this, but I suspect the real reason is simply their own service not doing so well.

Who's own service?

Just now, Happenstance said:

Who's own service?

CBS all access.

16 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

CBS all access.

It's still on CBS All Access in the US though. There was never any guarantee that all their Trek shows would stay on the same service outside of America.

Ah, yeah read over that. Still though, doesn't change the fact that Amazon Prime Video is a shit service. So much so I think I'll just skip this Picard show for that simple reason.

Looks good. Nice musical flourish at the end.

I hope that (unlike Discovery), this show actually has likeaable characters, memorable action sequences and above all, HEART. Emotions that are earned, not forced.

• Like 1

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

More personality and charm in that one line from Jeri Ryan than two robotic years of Michael Burnham combined.

Spoiler

Word is that Robert Picardo is in early talks to appear in season 2 of Star Trek Picard!

Looking good, really excited to see how this turns out - I really hope it doesn't disappoint! I wonder if any ds9 characters could make an appearance...

24 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

There's also a Star Trek Discovery s3 trailer, though I can't find it on youtube yet.

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-discovery-season-three-trailer-nycc

Oh good, another season where the universe revolves around the charmless, terribly acted Michael Burnham. zzzzzzzzzz

Picard series looks good though, hopefully they get the characters right.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Oh good, another season where the universe revolves around the charmless, terribly acted Michael Burnham. zzzzzzzzzz

Picard series looks good though, hopefully they get the characters right.

I'm looking forward to both.. Though I'm not going to see Picard immediately because of Amazon. And while I still look forward to Picard, my brother and me agreed this was not what we were expecting of a Picard show. We were expecting more "admirally stuff". In fact.. Some of the stuff in the trailer reminds me of Star Trek Renegades, but with Picard and a much bigger budget obviously. In fact, now I think of it, I'm not sure why veteran Star Trek fans who can't stand Discovery but praise Orville, are looking forward to this. I personally don't mind it at all (which is also why I like Discovery), but I'm actually not getting an oldskool Star Trek vibe from Picard. Too much action and fanservice actually.. So far I can see in the trailer.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

In fact, now I think of it, I'm not sure why veteran Star Trek fans who can't stand Discovery but praise Orville, are looking forward to this. 

Nostalgia/familiarity. 

I couldn't get into Discovery. It didn't feel like Star Trek at all. I agree this also doesn't look much like the old style Star Trek but it has characters that fans love and imagine most of us are just eager to see what adventures they are in for after all of these years.

Yeah, I'm one of those Trek fans who loves The Orville to bits. I was chuffed to see it got renewed for another series.

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'm actually not getting an oldskool Star Trek vibe from Picard. Too much action and fanservice actually.. So far I can see in the trailer.

Oh I agree and that's why I'm cautious about Picard, but if the characters are good that's probably the most important thing. It does look and feel a lot like Discovery though, lots of generic pew pew 100 miles an hour action for the sake of it. Some quieter moments though. And hopefully, much better writing than Disco.

The hologram shot of the Enterprise-D was lovely though, back when Federation ships were nicely designed :heart: 

Edited by Ronnie

I watched some old trek and don't think the tone of discovery is too far off. I think the main issue is I don't like any of the characters. On TNG, DS9, Voyager... even the characters I didn't really like were likeable. I was more engaged with the "villains" than I am with most of the "heroes" in discovery. There were maybe 1/2 characters on the old series I didn't particularly like, but in discovery there are only maybe one or two that I'm ok with. Generally when a character has been killed off, I've been happy because I hope against hope that a new character who is likeable might get introduced. I'm really not sure what it is that makes all the characters so unlikeable though. I might watch Picard if amazon give me a free month of prime, I live abroad so 99% of the prime video stuff isn't available to me though, so I may just never watch it :/