NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

There are a reason why that concept design got rejected in ST Phase 2/motion picture as it's that ugly. The registry suggested it's somewhere between ENT and TOS. also people heard a cloaking sound.

There are a reason why that concept design got rejected in ST Phase 2/motion picture as it's that ugly. The registry suggested it's somewhere between ENT and TOS. also people heard a cloaking sound.

I read somewhere that the new show is set between TOS and TNG.

It's a non-final design. They probably want to finish it before making the proper CGI version.

That explained why the ship look post-TOS. Someone just pointed out that registry number is based on Discovery Shuttle's OV-103 which is a cool easter egg.

I just wish the show was beyond Voyager. I want the universe built on, not retreat to what we've already had and thus know the stakes

I just wish the show was beyond Voyager. I want the universe built on, not retreat to what we've already had and thus know the stakes

I'd prefer this as well. Would then allow for cameos of characters we already love.

Hopefully for season two they'll go to that era.

Looks like the Enterprise merged with a D3 Battle Cruiser

Its ugly as sin, i get its a concept design that was left on the heap of designs not used for the motion pictures - for good reason as you say drift its just awful!

Serebii thats exactly what i thought, its like a saucer section merged with a D3 battle cruiser

I just do not like it, it seems very oddly designed for a federation ship, too angular, too cumbersome, everything before and even after looks very unlike this.

I'd read that too, but the styling of that ship is definitely between Enterprise and TOS, to be after TOS if must be moving towards excelsior class, ambassador class etc, that design screams that its before the more refined Constitution class

I need to ask my more knowledgeable friends but i think that design was dropped (from TMP run) for similar reasoning, looking too dated back then!

I get that they are trying to go for an era and latch onto existing designs so the 'community' doesn't end up disliking it for being out of place, but the cut design they've chosen has to my knowledge not even been widely loved.

After watching and loving Beyond and how they handled a Warp 4 NX class (before enterprise) and how well that ship design worked, it feels night and day on the direction of designers here

Wish they'd just gone for an existing design of ship, like a Miranda Class and ran with that

Edited by Agent Gibbs

I'd read that too, but the styling of that ship is definitely between Enterprise and TOS, to be after TOS if must be moving towards excelsior class, ambassador class etc, that design screams that its before the more refined Constitution class

The ship doesn't have to be brand new when the show is set. You still have Constitution class ships fighting in the Dominion War.

I need to ask my more knowledgeable friends but i think that design was dropped (from TMP run) for similar reasoning, looking too dated back then!

The film it was designed for was cancelled as the script was never finished.

The ship doesn't have to be brand new when the show is set. You still have Constitution class ships fighting in the Dominion War.

True, so were Miranda class (i basically want a miranda class i'm slowly realising)

The film it was designed for was cancelled as the script was never finished.

I may stand corrected, i'd seen the design years ago in a book at my friends (the art of star trek) and commented then on how ugly it was, i thought it was part of the early TMP concepts (looking through the google cache of the book i see why now since its in the passage just before TMP)

EDIT: After looking around the net whilst writing this, a lot of people are saying the design was rejected by Roddenberry for being not in keeping with his universe and its ship designs, although i'm lacking a direct citation for that, the book i mentioned does say the design was abandoned

Here

Looking at google images, people have done some far more in keeping with existing federation designs of the ship that whilst still having the rather odd blocky engineering section, look better than that

for example

Photo-Dec-22-1-20-16-PM2.jpg

enterprise_pott_189.jpg

Not too keen on this last one, but it looks better than the early VFX discovery

tumblr_nhuj8l0LIt1rzu2xzo2_1280.jpg

You know looking at how this looks, was the Enterprise D influenced by this design?

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Personally, I'd rather have a new ugly ship than something like a Miranda class.

Well i guess since @Daft created it i'd say he's best versed to say, but it looked like daft REALLY liked the 2009 Trek, box of tissues liked, hence the name

If I remember right it wasnt originally called this but one of the mods/admins changed the name after everyone was gushing over the new movie so much.

Yeah, I labelled this thread normally, it was changed by a mod. To be fair, Star Trek 2009 was amazing.

My first Enterprise model arrived. I went with the Bandai pre-painted one to start with given my lack of skill. I'll move on to the more complicated ones eventually. Just waiting on a model essentials kit to arrive now as my standard scissors and pliers just aren't up to the job.

Co2VDLYXYAAqdaz?format=jpg&name=large

Alright if we have to change the thread title then lets not change it to something like "Star Trekkie" :nono:

Is Star Trek Animated canon or I can skip it and straight to the Star Trek 1-6 films now I just finished the TOS.

Edited by DriftKaiser

Is Star Trek Animated canon or I can skip it ams straight to the Star Trek 1-6 films now I just finished the TOS.

It's canon. I'm planning on watching it after TOS.

It's not referenced much (if at all) in anything, though.