NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

^^ Ooh! I'd heard good reviews, but it seems to be getting them across the board.

Seeing this with my dad at some point soon, possibly this weekend.

^^ Ooh! I'd heard good reviews, but it seems to be getting them across the board.

Seeing this with my dad at some point soon, possibly this weekend.

I didn't read any reviews and I only saw the main trailer once or twice so I came to it pretty fresh.

I really recommend reading the prequel comics. They're on the iTunes apps store.

This is how you re-boot a series. The fact they basically seamlessly reset the entire Star Trek universe was just fantastic. The little bit where Old Spock is talking to Kirk and he describes how in his universe his father saw him become Captain of the Enterprise was really poignant.

Also the whole beginning bit where the Enterprise crashes into the Borg-Romulan ship while his wife, James and crew escape was fantastic.

star_trek_poster.jpg

Simply outstanding.

10/10

I second that. Those space battles were possibly the coolest I've ever seen. I want a sequel. Now.

I didn't read any reviews and I only saw the main trailer once or twice so I came to it pretty fresh.

I really recommend reading the prequel comics. They're on the iTunes apps store.

This is how you re-boot a series. The fact they basically seamlessly reset the entire Star Trek universe was just fantastic. The little bit where Old Spock is talking to Kirk and he describes how in his universe his father saw him become Captain of the Enterprise was really poignant.

Also the whole beginning bit where the Enterprise crashes into the Borg-Romulan ship while his wife, James and crew escape was fantastic.

Just wondering there but did you actually see the film cause you just got the whole start of the film there very wrong

For one its not the enterprise at the start its the USS Kelvin, and whats with borg-romulan ship?

I second that. Those space battles were possibly the coolest I've ever seen. I want a sequel. Now.

Yeah, cannot wait. I was hoping for a little post credit snippet of something but there wasn't any. :hehe:

Just wondering there but did you actually see the film cause you just got the whole start of the film there very wrong

For one its not the enterprise at the start its the USS Kelvin, and whats with borg-romulan ship?

Yeah, my bad. T'was late when I typed that.

Realised I was wrong when I posted it but laziness won out. :heh:

In the prequel comics Nero goes to a secret Romulan base where they have retrofitted a Romulan ship with Borg technology.

Didn't get it that wrong. :D

I so agree! An amazing film. The effects right from the word go were brill also.

Yeah massive credits to the ppl that made this. Yeah rather than make a reboot lets basically leave the star trek story the same but will cause a different timeline to happen so we can do it our way.

What impressed me the most was how rather than just doing a reboot they gave it a reason to do it all again!

Interesting how they had Vulcan destroyed but i like how there doing something different. Also all the characters u know who they are in how they are acting but still they bring there own kind of character 2 it. The most 'different' has to be spock, which was weird but not nessisary a bad thing.

Star Trek:

8/10

Good film no complaints as i never really followed the series closley. Enjoyed it from begining to end :)

Star Trek

An absolutely awesome movie. However I feel the story is a bit too thin sometimes but the beautiful cgi makes up for that. The characters are really good although some things played out a bit wierd. The music is also very good. Actually I just came out of the cinema and am still flooded with emotions I first have to sort out... kinda. I guess that's a good thing though.

Reading the comic clears up a lot about the film as well so I recommend doing so. It's a great comic btw.

8/10

Vulcan destroyed! I don't believe it, they can't do that. I just watched in horror.

Star Trek

Well I enjoyed it, although there were a few things I didnt like which i'll get into in spoilers.

I thought nearly all of the cast did really well, there were certain lines that Chris Pine did where it was like I was watching Shatner in the series again. I however, did not like Chekov in the movie, the accent (even though hes actually Russian this time) really jarred with me everytime I heard it and I just found the whole character a chore to watch.

I'll go into spoilers now:

Well lets see then, the Enterprise from the outside was beautiful, inside however I had some problems. I still dont particularly like the redesigned bridge and I hated enginneering with a fiery passion. Why the fuck were there girders (sp?) everywhere?

I hated Uhura and Spock being thrown together aswell, felt like they thought some romance was needed even though it wasnt.

Bye bye Vulcan, we hardly knew ye.

Nice to hear Majel Barret/Roddenbery again.

Noticed the nod to Admiral Archer and his Beagle.

Also noticed a continuity error though that wasnt fixed by the shift to an alternate reality. The USS Kelvin crew should not have had the Enterprises crest on their shirts, but they did.

At times I thought it felt a bit too Star Warsy, like with the monsters on that ice planet. Plus when Kirk ran into the cave where old Spock had been staying I half expected to see Luke Skywalker hanging upside down, reaching for his lightsabre.

Very nice to get the music at the end aswell, made me smile.

Id probably give it an 8.5/10

Edited by Happenstance

Star Trek

I'm not a huge fan of recent Sci-Fi films and know nothing about the Star Trek universe, so suprise suprise, I didn't like it. I enjoyed the pre-title sequence and thought there was some potential to be had here, but it turned out not to be the case. Story made no sense whatsoever to me so I lost intrest about half-way through the film, the face painted villain was weak, everybody's acting was wooden apart from the people who were over 40, the humour was quite good, but I suspect for hardcore fans there was a bit too much of it, the only character I warmed too was that Doctor guy and perhaps Scotty a little bit, and the only good set-piece was the one on the bottom of that drill thing (yes, I finally understood what that was towards the end of the film!) were they had a brief fist and sword fight amongst some flames. The CGI wasn't that special either, apart from the drill effects, and there was too much going on in the space battles - less is more in some cases. So for me it was boring, pointless, crap etc Shame, as I went in hoping to actually enjoy and understand it, especially considering it was a reboot of sorts.

Sorry fanboys.... :indeed:

Star Trek

I'm not a huge fan of recent Sci-Fi films and know nothing about the Star Trek universe, so suprise suprise, I didn't like it. I enjoyed the pre-title sequence and thought there was some potential to be had here, but it turned out not to be the case. Story made no sense whatsoever to me so I lost intrest about half-way through the film, the face painted villain was weak, everybody's acting was wooden apart from the people who were over 40, the humour was quite good, but I suspect for hardcore fans there was a bit too much of it, the only character I warmed too was that Doctor guy and perhaps Scotty a little bit, and the only good set-piece was the one on the bottom of that drill thing (yes, I finally understood what that was towards the end of the film!) were they had a brief fist and sword fight amongst some flames. The CGI wasn't that special either, apart from the drill effects, and there was too much going on in the space battles - less is more in some cases. So for me it was boring, pointless, crap etc Shame, as I went in hoping to actually enjoy and understand it, especially considering it was a reboot of sorts.

Sorry fanboys.... :indeed:

it really wasn't that hard to understand aha :)

just stay away from the other films because this by far is the easiest one.

8/10

I only duck the mark because like above many non-star trek fans may not get it.

I'm planning on watching Star Trek soon (I'm watching it with some people I met on the Jobseeker course). But I decided to check out the comics. For those who want to know, I've written down what happened. I've highlighted the important stuff - half of it was "what happened to the rest (i.e. apart from Riker and Troi) of the Enterprise crew after Nemesis":

- Nero was a good captain of a Romulan mining ship (he cared about his crew and stuff, and had a pregnant wife on Romulus)

- His ship was nearly destroyed by a fucked up Star

- Spock (who has been living on Romulus for a while) works out that the star could destroy a massive amount of systems if it goes nova (which will be soon)

- Nero goes with Spock to get some substance that they need to use with technology that the Vulcans have to stop the star.

- They get attacked by Remans but Captain Data (B4 with Data's memories) saves them.

- They head of to Vulcan

- The Vulcan High Council debates the issue (Picard is also there)

- Nero decided to go back to Romulus

- Star goes nova. Romulus gets destroyed. Barely anyone escapes. Nero blames the Vulcans and the Federation

- Nero finds the Romulan Senate and kills them

- The crew shave their heads and paint tattoos on them (a sign of a recent lost loved one)

- Vulcans finally decide to stop the star

- Spock goes on his own in the "Jellyfish", a ship designed by Geordi

- Nero finds the secret Romulan "last stand" base

- Base massively improves Nero's ship with Borg technology.

- The Klingon fleet (led by Worf) attacks Nero's ship. Worf agrees to "surrender" but instead boards the ship.

- Klingon fleet can't hurt the ship's shields. It can also fire when cloaked

- Klingon fleet is destroyed, Worf gets stabbed by a mechanical arm.

- The Enterprise (with Picard and Data) face Nero's ship.

- They both agree to put down their shields so Nero can send them Worf.

- Worf is sent to the Enterprise and both ships fire

- Enterprise is disabled but Nero's ship is undamaged.

- Spock sends the thing that the Vulcans made into the star

- It makes a Supermassive Black Hole

- Nero leaves the Enterprise alone and goes to stop Spock

- Both ships get pulled into the black hole

I'm planning on watching Star Trek soon (I'm watching it with some people I met on the Jobseeker course). But I decided to check out the comics. For those who want to know, I've written down what happened. I've highlighted the important stuff - half of it was "what happened to the rest (i.e. apart from Riker and Troi) of the Enterprise crew after Nemesis":

- Nero was a good captain of a Romulan mining ship (he cared about his crew and stuff, and had a pregnant wife on Romulus)

- His ship was nearly destroyed by a fucked up Star

- Spock (who has been living on Romulus for a while) works out that the star could destroy a massive amount of systems if it goes nova (which will be soon)

- Nero goes with Spock to get some substance that they need to use with technology that the Vulcans have to stop the star.

- They get attacked by Remans but Captain Data (B4 with Data's memories) saves them.

- They head of to Vulcan

- The Vulcan High Council debates the issue (Picard is also there)

- Nero decided to go back to Romulus

- Star goes nova. Romulus gets destroyed. Barely anyone escapes. Nero blames the Vulcans and the Federation

- Nero finds the Romulan Senate and kills them

- The crew shave their heads and paint tattoos on them (a sign of a recent lost loved one)

- Vulcans finally decide to stop the star

- Spock goes on his own in the "Jellyfish", a ship designed by Geordi

- Nero finds the secret Romulan "last stand" base

- Base massively improves Nero's ship with Borg technology.

- The Klingon fleet (led by Worf) attacks Nero's ship. Worf agrees to "surrender" but instead boards the ship.

- Klingon fleet can't hurt the ship's shields. It can also fire when cloaked

- Klingon fleet is destroyed, Worf gets stabbed by a mechanical arm.

- The Enterprise (with Picard and Data) face Nero's ship.

- They both agree to put down their shields so Nero can send them Worf.

- Worf is sent to the Enterprise and both ships fire

- Enterprise is disabled but Nero's ship is undamaged.

- Spock sends the thing that the Vulcans made into the star

- It makes a Supermassive Black Hole

- Nero leaves the Enterprise alone and goes to stop Spock

- Both ships get pulled into the black hole

Cool, thats a nice read, thanks Cube!

I might download the comics anyway from itunes coz they sound really interesting!!

Star Trek

Awesome. yes the plot is a bit hokey and they basically re-write trek history but the acting is superb. Karl Urban's performance especially as Bones is outstanding. Chris Pine as Kirk is brilliant, he's obviously playing a time in Kirk's life that had never been documented on screen before, yet it his performance isn't out of place. The special effects are awesome. It's great to see Trek brought into the modern era.

The plot is a lot stronger with the comics. I hope they maybe include some of the stuff in a directors cut because the plot is pretty weak without them.

I'd never have known about them if my sister hadn't showed me about an hour before the film. Silly really. Also, they should be free.

So is what Cube posted what happens in the Countdown comics on iTunes? I would buy them but I don't have an iPod touch and can't be arsed.

So is Next Generation set BEFORE Kirk and stuff? I never knew that.

So is what Cube posted what happens in the Countdown comics on iTunes? I would buy them but I don't have an iPod touch and can't be arsed.

So is Next Generation set BEFORE Kirk and stuff? I never knew that.

No No. Next Generation is set many years after after the adventures of kirk and crew.

There is time travel involved. Nero is sucked into the black hole mentioned in cubes post and goes back in time (que start of the film)

No No. Next Generation is set many years after after the adventures of kirk and crew.

There is time travel involved. Nero is sucked into the black hole mentioned in cubes post and goes back in time

Ah ok. I would say "D'oh! I've not seen the film and it's been spoiled for me!" but I already knew that

ime travel was involved.

Star Trek

A thumbs up 6.5/10.

Here's hoping the sequels keep up with it, because for the second time in history, the name Star Trek has some positive connotation. The first being Wrath of Kahn, obviously.

Star Trek

not even a fan of Star Trek, but I loved it. Thought it was gooooooooooooooooooood. Only annoying bit was the cheesy saying at the end. Was hoping it didn't have to be put in >_< Damn.

Erm, basically storyline was a bit confusing at first, but I soon understood it once explained. A few trekkies were in the cinema and laughed at a few bits which I'm guessing made sense to them but not me. Some good comedy bits as well to lighten the story which I liked.

8.4/10

Star Trek

not even a fan of Star Trek, but I loved it. Thought it was gooooooooooooooooooood. Only annoying bit was the cheesy saying at the end. Was hoping it didn't have to be put in >_< Damn.

Erm, basically storyline was a bit confusing at first, but I soon understood it once explained. A few trekkies were in the cinema and laughed at a few bits which I'm guessing made sense to them but not me. Some good comedy bits as well to lighten the story which I liked.

8.4/10

lol, yeah i am a self confessed trekkie and i laughed at some bits and my girlfriend is looking at me like 'why was that funny!' haha

lol, yeah i am a self confessed trekkie and i laughed at some bits and my girlfriend is looking at me like 'why was that funny!' haha

I laughed just before they halo jumped and Kirk, Sulu are talking to each other and then the cannon fodder red shirt introduces himself.

:heh:

I almost expected him, Family Guy style, to go, 'Ooooh, crap.'

And then about 60 seconds later he's dead.

I laughed just before they halo jumped and Kirk, Sulu are talking to each other and then the cannon fodder red shirt introduces himself.
:heh:

I almost expected him, Family Guy style, to go, 'Ooooh, crap.'

And then about 60 seconds later he's dead.

haha. I loved how they included well known quotes in it also! McCoy: 'I'm a doctor, not a physicist!' Spock: 'Fasinating' etc etc

So good!!!