NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Finally got around to watching the trailer Helmsley posted. Amazing stuff and the two reveals at the end...:eek:

I was looking forward to season 3 but that trailer knocked me down a bit and reminded me it’s the same writers involved. It gave me serious Nemesis vibes, ‘let’s throw cool action and pew pew for the sake of it’.

The two reveals at the end had me rolling my eyes, yet more nostalgia bait to rope some people in. At least the villain seems new but even that, yet another revenge mission. She’ll be related to someone we know though obviously.

Spoiler

:cry::cry::cry:

WS303Dw.jpg

Seeing the D again already broke me (and I knew it was coming as I saw the leaks) but then when I heard Majel Barret again as the computer...

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 6:17 AM, Happenstance said:
  Picard Season 3, episode 9 (Reveal hidden contents)

:cry::cry::cry:

WS303Dw.jpg

Seeing the D again already broke me (and I knew it was coming as I saw the leaks) but then when I heard Majel Barret again as the computer...

Spoiler

Same for me. I also had seen the leaks so I knew what was coming, but seeing the Enterprise D again and their reactions to seeing it made me feel... the same way Data felt at that moment lol. Watching them all walk onto the bridge, switch on the lights and all look around was such a nice moment. Hearing the original Majel Barret computer voice and the TNG era music was nice too.

bIaxnKp.jpg

I've re-watched that moment a few times already, i just love it.

I have no idea how this show will end but I am so much more invested in it then the first two seasons, which I thought where terrible. It's not just the nostalgia of this season that has be interested though, i am actually enjoying the story and want to find out what happens next.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

I haven’t watched any of Picard season 3, because it’s a terrible, wretched and awful show.  But after having the final episode shoved down my throat by a certain someone? I just have to say that the final episode is the most utterly pathetic nostalgia pandering I’ve ever seen.

The entire series’ story turned out to be one big fat excuse for a stupid, incredibly contrived Memberberry and it’s utterly, woefully pathetic.  And not only that, but it also ends up retroactively ruining not one, but TWO classic Trek movies (Generations and Nemesis) in the process! That’s impressive!

And the fact that tons of fans online are arfing like seals in response is just utterly sad.  I hate it.  I hate everything about it.

Fuck Nu Trek and everything it stands for.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Aaaaand back on the ignore list you go. What a pathetic little person you are to have that kind of reaction to people just enjoying something you don't.

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I haven’t watched any of Picard season 3, because it’s a terrible, wretched and awful show.  But after having the final episode shoved down my throat by a certain someone? I just have to say that the final episode is the most utterly pathetic nostalgia pandering I’ve ever seen.

The entire series’ story turned out to be one big fat excuse for a stupid, incredibly contrived Memberberry and it’s utterly, woefully pathetic.

And the fact that tons of fans online are arfing like seals in response is just utterly sad.  I hate it.  I hate everything about it.

Fuck Nu Trek and everything it stands for.

OK, I wasn't gonna say anything, because I'm not a Trek fan outside of enjoying Lower Decks. But you gotta let this go, I saw the episode because of "certain someone". It's neat, harmless, and makes some sense in context of the show and conflict going on at the time.

You didn't even watch the series, so you don't even know what happened in the eight or so episodes before hand.

You're pulling a "Francis". Except you're being completely serious this time, and it's a little sad.

• Like 1

IGN made a pretty good video as to why they think Season 3  of Picard is so much better then season 1 and 2. I agree with a lot of what they say here and was making similar points to my friends while the first two seasons where airing:

The final episode of Picard was tremendous and It felt like a natural continuation and conclusion to the original TNG crew and movies. I just loved every single minute of it and teared up so many times and laughed a few times too. The ending made me so happy as well, I have not enjoyed anything related to Star trek like that in a very long time.

Gonna have to watch that final episodes few times I think but my initial thoughts are that I loved it! Missing a few things I was hoping to see but you can't have it all and it has just been so nice seeing this crew back together.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 5:29 AM, Happenstance said:

Aaaaand back on the ignore list you go. What a pathetic little person you are to have that kind of reaction to people just enjoying something you don't.

This was totally followed with an uncompromising Picard tug.

• Haha 2

Even Red Letter Media seemed to love the third season of Picard. 

On 23/04/2023 at 2:30 PM, Happenstance said:

This is very impressive. It reminds me of a fan project a few years ago where a group of people recreated the Enterprise D for VR. They did amazing work but sadly CBS shut them down with a cease and desist order and they had to close the project down:

They moved to recreating the ship ship from a the Orville which they got to release on Steam: 
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096200/The_Orville__Interactive_Fan_Experience/

Red Letter Media are nostalgia fanboys, averse to anything new and different, so they were always going to love S3.

I finished it last night, I thought the last episode was stupidly over the top and silly in terms of the action but overall it was a fun season. All the fan service was a pretty cheap way to get fans onside but after the dreadful first couple of seasons, who can blame them really.

But yeah I didn't need to see the ship turn into the Millennium Falcon. That whole sequence was cringeworthy. What I'd suggest to the writers in terms of the action is that less is more. All these new Trek shows seem obsessed with over the top spectacle, which usually manifests itself as big epic fleet shots with a million torpedoes and phasers everywhere. There's just no need. I love a good fleet shot but it's happened in Discovery S2, SNW S1, Picard S1, Picard S2 and now Picard S3, combined with the poor visual effects and it doesn't really land imo.

Also less impressed with them walking back every decision the series has made up to now.

Spoiler

Data? Bring him back for a final, "proper" goodbye. Kill him. Then bring him back again.

The Borg? We just had the Queen literally a season ago, so seeing her yet again kind of takes the shine off.

Q? We make this big touching goodbye scene. Then bring him back again a season later.

Enterprise-F? It's in one solitary shot, then casually forgotten about so we can have an Enterprise-G. WTF?

My favourite part of the finale though...

Spoiler

Dubious necessity to bring the ship back in the first place aside, I thought the recreated Enterprise-D bridge was PERFECT. It looked incredible.

In terms of the future of Trek, I think they really need some brand new original series like Discovery to avoid the franchise stagnating under the weight of legacy characters. The appeal of a series of brand new characters will diminish the more legacy characters become a thing imo.

Edited by Ronnie

I'm nearing the end of Picard, it's going along nicely, a few questions left unanswered currently but I'm expecting them to be addressed shortly. The work Gates has done on her face though... a true shame, if I didn't know it was her ahead of time I may not have recognised her. Finally - I'm so sick of Rafaella. She had use in the first season, not much in the second, and now seems to exist purely to whine and pad out episodes. A massive waste of an returning characters potential. 

It isn't going to happen, but they should go back to Deep Space Nine and redo the Odo visual effects.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

The work Gates has done on her face though... a true shame

She hasn't had any.

• Weird 1

1 hour ago, Cube said:

She hasn't had any.

Mama mia, it looks like it - in the way that she looks different (not just older), not that she looks bad.