NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

I gave up on Discovery and Picard:

Discovery - everybody seems so understanding and kind and willing to give second chances and overlook glaring, murderous flaws. If Picard/Sisko were Captain, Book would have been in the brig.

Picard - I liked the first season, second season started well, but after about 4 episodes in I was just thinking" What's the point?" and dropped it from my line-up.

Strange New Worlds seems highly recommended, so let's give it a go!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The old guard look great. Beverley rocking that Rogue look. :D 

Spoiler

I really hope the last episode of season 3 has an after credits scene where we see Seven getting recruited for something by Janeway or someone from Voyager ready for the next show.

Edit: oh and that looked great! (Apart from Raffi)

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

Slightly hard to tell on Worf but it looked like 4 pips on his collar. I'm gonna assume no admiral bars underneath so it's still possible we'll see him as Captain of the Enterprise 🥹

So Picard S3 = TNG Season 8 with guest star Raffi? I can live with that :D

Can I just say older Worf looks amazing.

• Like 1

Did anyone on here watch season 2 of Lower Decks? I think I only got through the first few episodes and then never went back. Watching the trailer for the next season (DS9 part at the end is hilarious) makes me want to fire it up again and try and get through them all this time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did anyone on here watch season 2 of Lower Decks? I think I only got through the first few episodes and then never went back. Watching the trailer for the next season (DS9 part at the end is hilarious) makes me want to fire it up again and try and get through them all this time.

Yeah I did and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see what they do with DS9, especially with them already forwarding Trek lore with the Titan and Riker.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Lower Decks, and at first the whole "production line cartoon"ness of it made me cringe... but within 2-3 episodes I realised how much of a love letter it is to all the Star Trek seasons, jammed full of so many references when the characters geek out and talk about canon stuff that it's absolutely fantastic.

I've heard you'd have to be a full-on Star Trek historian to be able to understand every reference in every line of dialogue.

Highly recommended!

Edited by mr_bogus
oops typo

Lower Decks is pure nostalgia-bait, so no wonder it does very well with fans, especially these days given that's what most entertainment seems to be trading on. I really like the series but not because of the constant, never-ending references, I think when it actually does its own thing, it does it quite well and shows a lot of heart. Just wish there was a bit more of that.

S3 of Picard has abandoned any pretence of trying to be fresh and new, and is unashamedly doing the whole nostalgia-bait thing too, we'll see if the writing holds up, but I'm sure just seeing old faces again will be enough for some. But ditching most of the series cast and bringing back the old crew is a tad embarrassing from a showrunner pov.

9 hours ago, mr_bogus said:

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Lower Decks, and at first the whole "production line cartoon"ness of it made me cringe... but within 2-3 episodes I realised how much of a love letter it is to all the Star Trek seasons, jammed full of so many references when the characters geek out and talk about canon stuff that it's absolutely fantastic.

I've heard you'd have to be a full-on Star Trek historian to be able to understand every reference in every line of dialogue.

Highly recommended!

I loved the first season but for some reason I only watched a few episodes of the second.

I watched the first three episodes of season 2 last night.

Spoiler

Straight away the show had me laughing. When Mariner was escaping the Cardassian base and Boimler told her to rescue him because they keep showing him lights...I was howling. :D 

The episode where Jack become a god felt very much like The Final Frontier, especially when he became a giant head and started attacking the ship. Mariner constantly kicking the body in the Neutral Zone to stop him was genius.

The episode featuring the Collector had so many references to past series. I'm sure I spotted the headset from TNG episode The Game. Also, it was really funny when they were saying how they kept trying to steal Data and how people should just leave him alone. Having a Tamarian in this episode made things even funnier. 

The episode featuring Tom Paris also got a good laugh out of me. Boimler fell through the vent shafts and onto the bridge, before Paris attacked him thinking he was a Kazon...brilliant. 

I'll probably watch a couple more episodes this evening before the England match kicks off.

I should rewatch seasons 1 & 2 of Lower Decks next month before season 3 starts.

My nephew, despite having been raised by my sister to hate Star Trek binge watched Prodigy last week while he was round mine. He really enjoyed it but still insists he hates Star Trek 😆

• Haha 1

She was active until very recently.. She only retired in December last year. She was still playing the part of Uhura for the unofficial Star Trek series / films Renegades.

https://uhura.space/

Kai Winn actress has passed away. :(

Her work in DS9 was tremendous. You were meant to hate Kai Winn and she pulled it off amazingly well.

• Sad 2

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Kinda tempted to give DS9 a rewatch...

Always a good choice. Star Trek is basically on a continuous loop in my house so I'll get back to DS9 eventually. It's Voyagers turn at the moment.

Just now, Happenstance said:

Always a good choice. Star Trek is basically on a continuous loop in my house so I'll get back to DS9 eventually. It's Voyagers turn at the moment.

I never did finish me rewatch of Voyager. I think I got to season 5 and then fell off it. It has some amazing episodes but as a whole I didn't enjoy it as much as I did as a kid. DS9, especially in the latter seasons, just flowed much better. It helped that once the war storyline started it was pretty much a continuous storyline from that point on, as opposed to story of the week type episodes. 

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I never did finish me rewatch of Voyager. I think I got to season 5 and then fell off it. It has some amazing episodes but as a whole I didn't enjoy it as much as I did as a kid. DS9, especially in the latter seasons, just flowed much better. It helped that once the war storyline started it was pretty much a continuous storyline from that point on, as opposed to story of the week type episodes. 

I think DS9 is a much better written show but I have a soft spot for Voyager and it's one of my favourites. As the years went on I developed an appreciation for Janeway as a captain as well which I never had when it originally aired.

• Like 1

@Happenstance, have you listened to the Delta Flyers podcast? Going though it at the moment and it's great. The actors of Tom and Harry talking about each episode of Voyager - their thoughts and what they remember from from filming.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cube said:

@Happenstance, have you listened to the Delta Flyers podcast? Going though it at the moment and it's great. The actors of Tom and Harry talking about each episode of Voyager - their thoughts and what they remember from from filming.

I've had the first few episodes downloaded on my phone for ages and never got around to starting it. Really need to. Might do that today actually.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2022 at 6:34 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Kai Winn actress has passed away. :(

Her work in DS9 was tremendous. You were meant to hate Kai Winn and she pulled it off amazingly well.

Thanks for sharing this, didn't know... agreed, she played that character so brilliantly.