NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

First episode of Star Trek Prodigy has been put onto Youtube for free. I actually thought it was better than I was expecting so that's good. Getting a Star Wars vibe from it but I'm hoping that falls away a bit once they get into more stuff with the ship and Janeway.

Episodes 3/4 (the first was 2 episodes) were also great, and loses a lot of the "Star Wars" vibe. I think a lot of it is due to the pilot having lots of non-humanoid species speaking theory own language, in a grimy mine setting. 

One thing that does sound concerning is that after the next episode, there will be a break until January, when there will be five more episodes. Then the remaining 10 episodes of season 1 will air at an even later date. A 20-episode season 2 has also been confirmed. 

One interesting thing about the latest episode is that it potentially had a lot of backstory for a certain species seen in Voyager, although it's just speculation. It does make a lot of sense, though. 

Enjoyed the first two episodes well enough, intriguing storyline, though the main character and the rock girl are seriously annoying (what were they thinking with the voice acting choice for the latter). Nice visuals but the animation and overall production feels a bit cheap, but maybe I'm just used to Lucasfilm animation.

Pretty bad for them to announce this so close to the air date. I guess that means that instead of signing up for Netflix I'll instead have to wait (or just watch it starting this week anyway).

I already had plans to cancel my Netflix subscription, after years of being subscribed, ever since it was launched here in The Netherlands. For farious reasons. But I wanted to wait until after The Witcher, Discovery, and Stranger Things maybe.

Discovery so far has largely disappointed, but I was still willing to watch it. But not when it means if I have to subscribe to another (even worse) streaming service, when I want to cancel the one I already have. I'm not signing up for Paramount+, and I'll cancel Netflix end of the year.

No sign of Picard season 2 yet on Amazon. Slightly worrying given the mess the rights to Discovery turned into.

Two amazing episode of Star Trek on the same say is pretty astonishing!

Just finished the first ep of season 2. I still enjoyed the first season but it’s amazing how much better this episode was and how much it felt like Star Trek again. Very happy.

I'm finding it really hard to judge the first episode of Picard, more of a set-up than an actual storyline really. I think I mostly found it a bit of a mess to be honest. It was all over the place pacing and tone wise, especially early on. By the end a good set-up for the rest of the season though, and nice to see more of a Starfleet-y setting. 

Jurati though... she's just awful. I don't know what they were thinking. And how come she went from dweeby socially awkward scientist to wise cracking, drunken OTT counsellor type?

Also Starfleet Captain Rios: "Stop firing!!" -everyone keeps firing- "Stop firing!!"... does no one on the production team look at this and think hang on... 

Nice to see a proper fleet too, unlike last season's finale. Still not a fan of the visual effects though.

Edited by Ronnie

Apart from the nonsensical Burnham-style monologue, looks fantastic. Love that shot of the shuttle flying past Pike. Really excited for the rumoured episodic nature of the series.

Spoiler

Just finished watching episode 2. I enjoyed it and it was a good new take on the dystopian Trek future. Only real complaints were the lack of evil twin cameos as this would have been the perfect opportunity (so close to getting Sisko back lol) and them mentioning the Enterprise having to Spock to do the calculations and not even bothering as ask if Seven could manage it because let’s face it, Voyager Seven was smart enough. I did like her test when she woke up though, that felt like The Seven of old.

Episode 2... grim, cliched, badly written.

Spoiler

It's sad how they tease us with proper Trek in the opening episode then we go back to the usual anti-Trek mirror universe style nonsense..

John de Lancie put in a strong performance though at least.

Edited by Ronnie

For the second week in a row, two fantastic episodes of Star Trek.  Extremely excited to see how things continue.

At this point I think I'm just gonna wait for Discovery season 4 to finish and watch it all at once when Paramount+ launches in the UK this summer. I haven't actually seen any of this season's episodes yet.

Seen it all before. Nothing new. Broken timeline, dystopian version of history, they have to go back in time and fix things. The TNG finale All Good Things did something genuinely original and interesting with time travel. This is just the same old thing, at least so far...

Exciting but it won't add up to much if they don't ditch the entire writing staff and get some proper talent in. I can't believe just how utterly terrible season 2 is. Discovery (imo) has terrible writing and characters but at least it can be entertaining at times. Picard S2 doesn't even have that!

I can only assume they're skimping on the budget this year to put it all into S3.

Looking forward to it. After an amazing season of Discovery (probably high up on the list of best seasons of Trek) and Picard being brilliant so far, I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks S3 (Plus the rest of Prodigy S1, wish had been much better then expected and if it continues, might actually be the best first season of a Trek show).

Really wish they’d hired a better child actor to play young Picard this season. I found him so distractingly bad in this latest episode.