NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

@Happenstance I just started Basics and straight away it's all came back to me. Don't the Kazon get control of the ship and then it's up to Suder to help get it back but he doesn't want to kill again? At least that's what I remember about it.

Oh, I enjoyed watching the episode Resolutions. It's another one I remember. It always bummed me out that nothing came from those moments that Janeway and Chakotay had. 

*presses play and continues to watch Basics*

• Like 1

Oh, it has been confirmed that Picard season 2 has started filming.

So that's 5 shows in full production. Exciting times.

I watched the second part of Basics last night. It played out just as I remembered. I do think the ending is a little too fast though. I think Suder should have been given a proper send off but instead he got nothing. :( Bet Janeway felt awful given her last interaction with him, although she can be a bit of an ice queen at times so it probably didn't effect her. :D 

It does baffle me a little just how far into the quadrant that the Kazon managed to expand to. Voyager has been at full pelt for around 7-8 months at this point and yet the Kazon, with their limited tech, are still kicking about the place. Same goes for Neelix having so much knowledge about the area they are in despite being a massive distance from his home area. Dude only had a tiny little shuttle craft.

5 minutes ago, sumo73 said:

RIP Christopher Plummer. (aka General Chang)

Klingon Primer: Heart of Virtue - YouTube

I'm slowly going through the Star Trek Continues series at the moment.

General Chang: We need breathing room!

Kirk: Earth. Hitler. 1938.

:D 

That whole scene is one of my favs from all the Trek films and that film is my fav of the originals. General Chang was a fantastic bad guy. 

• Like 1

Totally forgot to mention, I watched the episode Flashback from Voyager which is set during the Undiscovered Country. Nice coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Totally forgot to mention, I watched the episode Flashback from Voyager which is set during the Undiscovered Country. Nice coincidence.

Good episode that one. I remember being convincing myself later on that Tim Russ really was on the Excelsior during that movie because I was confusing it with him on the Enterprise B in Generations. Also came across him as a Klingon in DS9 earlier this week and I know he was in TNG as well in Picard’s Die Hard episode. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Good episode that one. I remember being convincing myself later on that Tim Russ really was on the Excelsior during that movie because I was confusing it with him on the Enterprise B in Generations. Also came across him as a Klingon in DS9 earlier this week and I know he was in TNG as well in Picard’s Die Hard episode. 

It's hilarious when they use the same actors but in different series as different characters. I couldn't get away with Nog being a Kazon. :D 

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

General Chang: We need breathing room!

Kirk: Earth. Hitler. 1938.

:D 

That whole scene is one of my favs from all the Trek films and that film is my fav of the originals. General Chang was a fantastic bad guy. 

His character is more fleshed out in Klingon Academy, a PC game from 2000 that passed me back in the day.

Edited by sumo73
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 1:35 AM, sumo73 said:

His character is more fleshed out in Klingon Academy, a PC game from 2000 that passed me back in the day.

Indeed. Considering how much Plummer disliked the prosthetics/makeup for the movie, it's fantastic that he went through it again to act out so much more footage for the game.

Ignoring the stretched aspect ratio, have a look him once again giving it his all in this performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiV5eciReto

• Like 1

Just watched the episode False Profits. Loved it. The Ferengi are hilarious characters and always make for good viewing. The reaction from Paris when the women walk out of the temple was great. :D 

prodigy-bridge-crew.jpg

Main characters in Star Trek Prodigy. I really like them. And no filthy humans in sight (although we know Janeway will pop up).

Just finished watching the episode where Kes lives her life backwards. I never realised Year of Hell was teased during this. Was a nice surprise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just finished watching the episode where Kes lives her life backwards. I never realised Year of Hell was teased during this. Was a nice surprise.

Yeah I like that episode. Finally got Kes with good hair as well 😆 

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2021 at 5:07 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I still remember seeing that one for the first time in the 90s when it was screening, and chatting to friends afterwards about how cool those scenes were and how cool it would be to see more of it. Then the next season it actually happened and we were so excited.

2 minutes ago, mr_bogus said:

I still remember seeing that one for the first time in the 90s when it was screening, and chatting to friends afterwards about how cool those scenes were and how cool it would be to see more of it. Then the next season it actually happened and we were so excited.

It's a fantastic story arc. I just wish it could have went on longer than a couple of episodes.

For some reason I had it in my head that YoH was the season 3 finale but it turns out it's actually near the start of season 4. I'm looking forward to reaching it. Should get there by the end of the week as I've only a couple episodes left of season 3.

Does Starfleet not train their officers on how to fight? The crew are constantly getting beat up and captured. I've lost count of how many times various enemies have been able to board and take over the ship. 

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a fantastic story arc. I just wish it could have went on longer than a couple of episodes.

For some reason I had it in my head that YoH was the season 3 finale but it turns out it's actually near the start of season 4. I'm looking forward to reaching it. Should get there by the end of the week as I've only a couple episodes left of season 3.

Does Starfleet not train their officers on how to fight? The crew are constantly getting beat up and captured. I've lost count of how many times various enemies have been able to board and take over the ship. 

Starfleet teaches their crews a little too well sometimes. It’s a pet peeve of mine, especially in DS9 where you see Sisko and his mates taking on Klingons or Jem’hadar, supposedly some of the most vicious warriors in the Galaxy and beating them easily. Let’s just say that the Maqui are the weak link for Voyager and were never taught the double fist starfleet technique.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Starfleet teaches their crews a little too well sometimes. It’s a pet peeve of mine, especially in DS9 where you see Sisko and his mates taking on Klingons or Jem’hadar, supposedly some of the most vicious warriors in the Galaxy and beating them easily. Let’s just say that the Maqui are the weak link for Voyager and we’re never taught the double fist starfleet technique.

Problem with both those races is that they let honour and pride get in the way of things. I can see why Sisko gets the better of them on numerous occasions. Plus, he had the Prophets helping him out a couple of times.

Voyager crew members got done over by a couple of Ferengi. Absolutely baffling. The crew members who got jumped deserve to be left behind.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Problem with both those races is that they let honour and pride get in the way of things. I can see why Sisko gets the better of them on numerous occasions. Plus, he had the Prophets helping him out a couple of times.

Voyager crew members got done over by a couple of Ferengi. Absolutely baffling. The crew members who got jumped deserve to be left behind.

Yeah it was more in hand to hand, one on one fights where they should have just been thrown aside like rag dolls.

If we want to see losses though, just look at the Enterprise security under Worf. Not sure they ever had a win 😆 

• Haha 1

Just finished watching both parts of Scorpion. Cracking stuff. I'm a sucker for any storyline that features the Borg.

I started looking into why Kes left the show and came across some info about how YoH was supposed to be the season 3 finale and then feature heavily in the 4th season. Things changed though due to the people in charge wanting to add some fresh blood to the series but that also meant someone needed to be given the boot as they only wanted 10 main characters on the show. Harry was supposed to be the one to leave but this changed to Kes. Apparently the writers said they ran out of material/storylines for her but rumours were going around of substance abuse and other unsavory things.

No idea how true any of this is but YoH definitely feels like a finale rather than episodes just plonked in the middle of a season.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just finished watching both parts of Scorpion. Cracking stuff. I'm a sucker for any storyline that features the Borg.

I started looking into why Kes left the show and came across some info about how YoH was supposed to be the season 3 finale and then feature heavily in the 4th season. Things changed though due to the people in charge wanting to add some fresh blood to the series but that also meant someone needed to be given the boot as they only wanted 10 main characters on the show. Harry was supposed to be the one to leave but this changed to Kes. Apparently the writers said they ran out of material/storylines for her but rumours were going around of substance abuse and other unsavory things.

No idea how true any of this is but YoH definitely feels like a finale rather than episodes just plonked in the middle of a season.

Yeah it was when Garrett Wang got voted one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People Magazine that they decided to keep him on.

I hadn’t heard about substance abuse stuff during the show but she definitely suffered afterwards. I remember the story from a few years ago of her flashing some kids in front of her house. She’s definitely had it rough. Kate Mulgrew also took out all of her frustrations of how Kes was removed onto Jeri Ryan and made her time working on Voyager hell.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah it was when Garrett Wang got voted one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People Magazine that they decided to keep him on.

I hadn’t heard about substance abuse stuff during the show but she definitely suffered afterwards. I remember the story from a few years ago of her flashing some kids in front of her house. She’s definitely had it rough. Kate Mulgrew also took out all of her frustrations of how Kes was removed onto Jeri Ryan and made her time working on Voyager hell.

It’s such a shame because her character was just starting to become interesting and I imagine she would have played a large role in the YoH storyline.

Watched both parts of Year of Hell last night. Yup, it’s as good as I remember it being. I could be wrong but I’m sure Kes gave them a warning about the whole thing and to avoid that region of space. 

I also enjoyed the episode Nemesis. I remembered bits about it but totally forgot how it all played out. The ending came as quite a surprise, as did Chakotay’s reaction when seeing one of the aliens on Voyager.