NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I really hope they spend some extra time on the rest of the crew in season 4. It’s all well and good showing them all loving each other but with other Trek shows we would know them all so much better by now. They need to get their own stories.

This has been my most regular issue with pretty much the whole of Season 3. I understand Michael is the main character, but do they really need to make her wear all the hats in every episode, ignoring other crew members (or characters they've met) who are so much more suited to the task?

The scriptwriters also tend to forget any trouble or demotions she got before, and constantly reward her for being irresponsible, going against Federation orders, and spontaneously putting everyone's lives in danger... yet Saru, a fantastic captain who upheld the Federation's rubric whenever possible, lost his chair to her (despite her being stripped of her rank as Number One just a few episodes prior to that).

The scriptwriters really don't seem to have thought about the bigger picture from episode to episode.

12 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I really hope they spend some extra time on the rest of the crew in season 4. It’s all well and good showing them all loving each other but with other Trek shows we would know them all so much better by now. They need to get their own stories.

True, but other Trek shows had double the amount of episodes. If we're comparing to old shows then we've just hit the middle of season 2 - so I think we're making some pretty good mileage with regards to getting to know the crew. 

26 minutes ago, somme said:

True, but other Trek shows had double the amount of episodes. If we're comparing to old shows then we've just hit the middle of season 2 - so I think we're making some pretty good mileage with regards to getting to know the crew. 

Nah, by the end of the first episodes of most Trek shows I felt like I knew bridge crew better than I know Discovery’s. The shorter seasons are no excuse.

8 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Nah, by the end of the first episodes of most Trek shows I felt like I knew bridge crew better than I know Discovery’s. The shorter seasons are no excuse.

After four years of Enterprise I never really knew Hoshi or Travis so that's not completely true. 

On January 22, 2021 at 11:23 AM, Happenstance said:

Season one of Lower Decks is now available on Amazon Prime Video

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned it.

I watched the first episode last night and loved it. I was laughing out loud a few times during it. It kinda feels like Final Space x Star Trek.

29 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned it.

I watched the first episode last night and loved it. I was laughing out loud a few times during it. It kinda feels like Final Space x Star Trek.

Yeah I finished watching them the other day. I’d seen the majority before but it was good to go over it again. Just kind of a nice love letter to all of Star Trek. 

Got 3 episodes left and it's been a joy to watch. There's so many nods to past Trek series and each of them has made me smile. The list of holodeck characters, nothing to do on earth except open a seafood restaurant or live on a vineyard and the statue of Miles, all of these moments and more had me howling. :laughing:

• Like 2

So many nods to past Treks... TOO MANY nods to past Treks.

I enjoyed Lower Decks a lot but the easter egg/reference/in-joke/call-back literally every 30 seconds got seriously annoying a few episodes in. Make your own legacy, stop living off of another show!

I started Voyager today, @Happenstance. I was needing some more Trek in my life after finishing Lower Decks and seeing as it was around this time last year that I started my run of DS9, I figured that it was time to start this. It was always my favourite Trek series and it will be interesting to see if that's still the case. 

I love the early episodes and how the two different crews are constantly clashing with each other.

• Like 1

I freaking love Janeway. I'm only about 6 episodes in and she's already went about wrecking things and threatening people. What a captain! :D 

I forgot how annoying Neelix was. Still, he at least brought Kes (:heart:) to the ship, so I can let it slide. :p 

• Haha 1

I’ve grown to appreciate Janeway a lot more over the years. She was definitely one of the more flawed captains in Star Trek when it came to single mindedness, reckless actions and holding grudges. Made her a lot more interesting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’ve grown to appreciate Janeway a lot more over the years. She was definitely one of the more flawed captains in Star Trek when it came to single mindedness, reckless actions and holding grudges. Made her a lot more interesting.

That's why I like her. She isn't always completely by the book and often uses force to sort out a situation. I think she had a lot of wiggle room with rules and regulations, given that she was stuck on the other side of the Galaxy.

I forgot to mention, even though I'm still early on The Doctor has been outstanding to watch. Easily one of my favourite Trek characters across all the series.

• Like 2

I watched a few more episodes yesterday evening, one of which was awful.

Heroes and Demons involved some of the crew going missing in a Beowulf Holodeck program. The story wasn't great, costumes were dire and the acting from the extras was hilariously bad. :( 

I really enjoyed State of Flux. I could vaguely remember something being iffy with Seska and then it was revealed in this episode. She pops up again in a later episode/series, yes? I can't remember if she's still kicking around with the Kazon or not though.

Speaking of the Kazon, how did they get the ability to beam to and from places? Pretty sure that I seen them use the beaming tech in an episode last night. I just assumed they didn't originally have it because in the first episode Neelix didn't know what it was.

Also, thanks to Lower Decks, whenever Tuvok says "sensor" the way he does I can't help but laugh. :D 

I think I only have a few more episodes left to watch from the first series. My mind is clearly playing tricks on me because I thought the Kazon featured heavily at the start but that hasn't been the case at all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I watched a few more episodes yesterday evening, one of which was awful.

Heroes and Demons involved some of the crew going missing in a Beowulf Holodeck program. The story wasn't great, costumes were dire and the acting from the extras was hilariously bad. :( 

I really enjoyed State of Flux. I could vaguely remember something being iffy with Seska and then it was revealed in this episode. She pops up again in a later episode/series, yes? I can't remember if she's still kicking around with the Kazon or not though.

Speaking of the Kazon, how did they get the ability to beam to and from places? Pretty sure that I seen them use the beaming tech in an episode last night. I just assumed they didn't originally have it because in the first episode Neelix didn't know what it was.

Also, thanks to Lower Decks, whenever Tuvok says "sensor" the way he does I can't help but laugh. :D 

I think I only have a few more episodes left to watch from the first series. My mind is clearly playing tricks on me because I thought the Kazon featured heavily at the start but that hasn't been the case at all.

I can’t remember if they do have beaming or not but isn’t part of the story that they are being leaked Federation tech so maybe that could be an excuse.

You will see more of Seska and the Kazon going forward yeah.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I can’t remember if they do have beaming or not but isn’t part of the story that they are being leaked Federation tech so maybe that could be an excuse.

You will see more of Seska and the Kazon going forward yeah.

The only thing that Seska had given them at that point was the replicator....or so she said. I may skip through the episode again to check. Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking they were beaming about the place.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The only thing that Seska had given them at that point was the replicator....or so she said. I may skip through the episode again to check. Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking they were beaming about the place.

Yeah, I was mistaken. The Kazon must have came aboard Voyager on a shuttle and then Seska uses Voyager's own transporter to go over to the Kazon ship. I thought they beamed her over but that wasn't the case.

• Like 1

The second season of Voyager is a big step up from the first. There have been some great episodes so far, with Meld, Threshold, Death Wish and Dreadnought being some of my favs. I actually remember watching most of these back when they first aired.

Death wish was hilarious but then whenever Q shows up its always a good time. I seem to remember him showing up again later. Doesn't he want to hook up with Janeway at some point?

I also enjoyed the storyline about Paris that spanned a fair few episodes. It was that kinda thing that was missing from the first season and it's why I enjoyed the latter half of DS9. Having episodes  telling a self contained story is fine but when you have a long game storyline being played out as well it makes them much more interesting.

I think I've got 5 or 6 episodes left before I start season 3.

I need more new Star Trek!

Do you remember the end of season 2 of Voyager Hero? That was always a 2 parter I enjoyed.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Hopefully after this lull we'll get a steady stream.

Discovery is mid-way through filming. Strange New Worlds starts filming tomorrow. 

Prodigy and Lower Decks season 2 are due this year.

Picard should have started filming but covid restrictions have delayed it.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Do you remember the end of season 2 of Voyager Hero? That was always a 2 parter I enjoyed.

At the moment I don't but once I start watching the episode it may come back to me.

Last night I watched Deadlock. Love that episode, although I completely forgot about what happened to Harry Kim.

I’m on a double Trek rewatch at the moment (triple if I count TOS), watching Enterprise on the Horror Channel in the evenings and going through DS9 again on Netflix. Reading your posts is making me miss Voyager already though.

21 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m on a double Trek rewatch at the moment (triple if I count TOS), watching Enterprise on the Horror Channel in the evenings and going through DS9 again on Netflix. Reading your posts is making me miss Voyager already though.

Very fitting. :D 

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Very fitting. :D 

Meh, it’s not the best Trek but I don’t find it terrible. It’s a nice filler while I wait for new Trek.