NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

They certainly seem intent on telling us this crew is a family, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I just don't buy it. It's the same as them course correcting in season 2 and having Saru deliver endless "We are Starfleet!" feelgood speeches, it just doesn't seem earned. 

Might just be me though, I don't care much for Detmer, or Owo, or Nhan, or Burnham, or Stamets, or Culber. 

I think Picard got it right by focusing on the crew first, the action second. The first season of Discovery was the opposite, so they're playing catch-up (imo).

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

I think Culber might be the best doctor we've seen. We've not really had much real medical advice or counselling, so it's great to see that from him. He's probably the sexiest guy who has appeared in Star Trek, too.

The other doctors have fun personalities and are great characters, it's just that most of their stuff is technobabble.

I would say the opposite actually. Culber to me seems one of the more pointless doctors Star Trek has seen and that’s why they’re giving him more of a Counsellor role now which thankfully is working well.

46 minutes ago, Cube said:

I think Culber might be the best doctor we've seen. We've not really had much real medical advice or counselling, so it's great to see that from him. He's probably the sexiest guy who has appeared in Star Trek, too.

The other doctors have fun personalities and are great characters, it's just that most of their stuff is technobabble.

It's good to hear views like this because I couldn't disagree more, I personally can't stand Culber. It genuinely felt like his inclusion in season 1 was for the sole reason of grabbing headlines, and it still feels that way. Even three seasons in I barely know anything about the guy except that he likes opera. Great? Such a bland personality too, like most of the crew, and especially compared to the likes of Phlox, the EMH, McCoy... 

I think Culber was never meant to be a regular character, they just assumed they would kill him off and that was the end of that, but then got so terrified of the potential backlash of killing a gay character and so told everyone in the literal after-show that he would be coming back :indeed:

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Spoiler

I'm so glad the remains of the Federation didn't turn out to be complete dicks. Opening up with a Captain's Log from Saru was also amazing. I want to see more of the new ships too, especially the Eisenberg-class USS Nog.

USSNOG.png

2 hours ago, Cube said:
  Episode 5 (Hide contents)

I'm so glad the remains of the Federation didn't turn out to be complete dicks. Opening up with a Captain's Log from Saru was also amazing. I want to see more of the new ships too, especially the Eisenberg-class USS Nog.

USSNOG.png

Spoiler

Unless we are shown otherwise I’ve now decided that the Doctor is the captain of Voyager J. Captain Doctor.

Not gonna lie, I got a bit emotional when I saw the other ship was the USS Nog.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Unless we are shown otherwise I’ve now decided that the Doctor is the captain of Voyager J. Captain Doctor.

Not gonna lie, I got a bit emotional when I saw the other ship was the USS Nog.

Spoiler

But which Doctor? The original or the backup who was last seen going off in search of the Federation around 100 years prior to the current events in Discovery?

Edit: Actually, you know what? Backup Doctor is the first officer, original Doctor is the captain. 

3 minutes ago, Cube said:

But which Doctor? The original or the backup who was last seen going off in search of the Federation around 100 years prior to the current events in Discovery?

Edit: Actually, you know what? Backup Doctor is the first officer, original Doctor is the captain. 

Spoiler

Backup Doctor hasn’t actually made it back yet, his warp drive survived the Burn but now he’s struggling to get dylithium to get back. Poor guy, one issue after another!

• Like 1

Ploughed through Discovery in the last couple weeks - my first real exposure to Star Trek apart from the Abrams movies (which were meh). Its fun, fairly take your brain out, but seemingly well intentioned. Season 1 was a bit crap (and would have dumped it but for Isaacs) but it upped its game noticeably in season 2. 

For the trekkies - is there a lore reason why they don't wear seatbelts on the bridge? They always seem to be getting thrown all over the place. Their insurers would have been all over that.

They don't really talk about seatbelts much. There a deleted scene in Nemesis where they add a seatbelt to Picard's chair at the end.

• Thanks 1

On December 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM, Happenstance said:

@Hero-of-Time did you ever end up carrying on with more Star Trek after you finished DS9 and Picard?

I didn't. I was going to crack on with Voyager but rough stuff happened in life and I didn't get around to it. I'd still like to do it at some point as I loved going through DS9 again. 

Is Voyager still on Netflix?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't. I was going to crack on with Voyager but rough stuff happened in life and I didn't get around to it. I'd still like to do it at some point as I loved going through DS9 again. 

Is Voyager still on Netflix?

Yeah it is. For some reason I even went onto Netflix to check despite the fact that it's the show I'm currently rewatching myself on there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah it is. For some reason I even went onto Netflix to check despite the fact that it's the show I'm currently rewatching myself on there.

Good stuff. With Supernatural coming to an end soon (15 years and the journey is finally over :( ) I may start Voyager after that. Saying that, Cobra Kai season 3 is starting soon as well.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Good stuff. With Supernatural coming to an end soon (15 years and the journey is finally over :( ) I may start Voyager after that. Saying that, Cobra Kai season 3 is starting soon as well.

Well when you do get round to watching it make sure you post your thoughts in here. I enjoyed the DS9 ones.

• Thanks 1

Ugh. Not getting into it elaborately, I could go back and post my opinions on all episodes, I'm just going to say I was really disappointed with season 3 of Discovery overall. Seeing the lack of posts here, I suspect this is the general feeling here? In short: the writers are bad. Really bad. Such a shame, because I was really looking forward to season 3. I really liked the idea of Discovery into the far future. It started interesting.. I also really liked the idea of a collapsed Federation. In theory I really like the idea of a season story arc, and I think it's actually a necessity for modern audiences in general. But the writers are simply so bad at it, it may be better to simply go back to episodic storytelling. Pacing was all over the place this season, and they don't treat their characters properly. They don't know what to do with existing characters, and they unnecessarily introduce new chartacters, without doing anything interesting with them. The season finale (well, the whole 3-parter I guess) was a cobbled up mess of various elements they sprinkled throughout the season, but brought together in an incoherent way. There were various ideas I did like.. They were just poorly executed.

Some specific stuff (spoilers):

• Source of the burn was plain dumb.
  • Dylithium probem was not something they should have fixed in the 13 available episodes
  • Osyra (well, a lot of characters, most characters really), was wasted. they shouldn't have killed her off unceremoniously.
  • The mirror episodes were the worst of the mirror episodes I've seen. And they spend 2 episodes getting rid of a character in order to set up a new spin-off, but this is devastating to the pacing of this show.

Those are just some of the issues I had.

Edited by Sméagol

I think that it is among the higher tier seasons of Star Trek.

The Burn was brilliantly handled (I saw so many terrible fan theories, but thankfully they went with something tragic), and Culber was definitely a highlight this season.

Vance was a great addition, and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go for Adria and Gray.

I was initially very against the Section 31 spin off but the two parter has me cautiously optimistic about it now.

I thought the explanation for the burn as a season long arc was a big letdown.

Despite giving them a new and interesting playground to write for with the future I would actually say this was the weakest season so far. Not terrible but a lot of wasted opportunity that I hope they take advantage of in season 4.

I loved this season. Definitely my favourite season of Discovery so far - I much preferred the slower pacing. 

My thoughts on the cause of the burn?

Spoiler

I found it extremely relatable as my mum passed away on November 5th. I think they perfectly summed up how it feels to lose your mother. 

• Like 1

I'd also be very happy if 

Spoiler

Next season is mostly them visiting a planet, dropping off dilithium, encountering a problem and solving it. A mixture of old and new planets.

Saru I reckon will be given the role of Ambassador and assigned to Discovery (as far as I can tell from how much Doug Jones is filming, he's still a main character), as Discovery becomes a more diplomatic ship.

I'd love to see an episode on Qo'noS, only to discover that Klingon culture has changed dramatically and that they are a Federation member (and didn't abandon it after The Burn, one of the 30-odd who never left), show that they value honour, but it's about being true, fair and hardworking in whatever field rather than stabby kill kill honour. Like the Klingon lawyer said it used to be like in Enterprise.

The Burn managed to be non-malicious and something that's almost impossible to recreate. This means the galaxy can get to healing now they don't have to worry about it happening again.

1 minute ago, Cube said:

I'd also be very happy if 

End of Season 3 and possible season 4 spoilers (Hide contents)

Next season is mostly them visiting a planet, dropping off dilithium, encountering a problem and solving it. A mixture of old and new planets.

Saru I reckon will be given the role of Ambassador and assigned to Discovery (as far as I can tell from how much Doug Jones is filming, he's still a main character), as Discovery becomes a more diplomatic ship.

I'd love to see an episode on Qo'noS, only to discover that Klingon culture has changed dramatically and that they are a Federation member (and didn't abandon it after The Burn, one of the 30-odd who never left), show that they value honour, but it's about being true, fair and hardworking in whatever field rather than stabby kill kill honour. Like the Klingon lawyer said it used to be like in Enterprise.

The Burn managed to be non-malicious and something that's almost impossible to recreate. This means the galaxy can get to healing now they don't have to worry about it happening again.

All of that would be great! They've got so much scope for stories now we're in (almost) completely new territory. 

And whilst I'm completely happy for them to take us on whatever journeys they have planned I am curious about:

Spoiler

THE BORG! Although to be honest I'm always wondering what they're up to. Would love to see them in Picard too and if they show up anywhere I reckon it'll be there as Seven and Picard both have unresolved Borg issues and what better way to face them than head on?

I can see Saru becoming an ambassador. I think he'll be more comfortable in a less stressful role. He wasn't a bad captain, but I don't think he trusted himself enough. Was lovely seeing Doug's face - he has such a kind face!

Will put this whole thing in spoilers just in case.

Spoiler

Just finished season 3 and I’m not too sure what to think about it. 

I understand that for there to be an interesting story they needed something like The Burn, but I would have loved to see what a thousand years of pure progress would have brought about. It does seem like solving it in one season is a bit of a rush though, it could have lasted as an interesting arc for longer imo with some really interesting one season long things to figure out on the way there.

The reason for The Burn was, imo, totally stupid. I get that they’ve established people being somehow connected to sub-space (or whatever) but it really felt a stretch too far to say that some kid got so upset they blew up the entire galaxies supply of warp fuel. I had thought it would be some advance of the Terrans or something to do with the two universes splitting.

I don’t know, it kind of feels like the writers have some really good ideas but don’t know how to tie them all together properly.

I am definitely looking forward to season four. The point we’re at now feels like there are some very interesting potential stories wrapped in a more classical Star Trek wrapper. 

I really hope they spend some extra time on the rest of the crew in season 4. It’s all well and good showing them all loving each other but with other Trek shows we would know them all so much better by now. They need to get their own stories.

• Like 1

Discovery's very fond of telling us the crew are a family, or that we should care about these people, instead of actually earning it. The fact that they lay it on so thick makes it even more obvious, likewise Saru's "we are Starfleet." speeches, as a direct result of the backlash from season 1.

Edited by Ronnie