NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Yeah, DS9's ending is great. I loved Voyager, but hated the fact it didn't get an ending that was even close to the quality of that of DS9. Pretty shit ending actually.. Was really hoping they would draw it out with another 10 episode finale. But no, let's do another Borg time travel ep, and have Voyager back in the alpha quadrant in a jiffy.

Edited by Sméagol

I didn't mind the storyline in Voyager's finale, it just needed spreading out over another episode or two. The credits popping up seconds after they make it back was a real kick in the teeth.

All Good Things is still the best final Trek episode ever though, obv.

• Like 1

I finished watching Picard last night. Yeah, i'm still not sure what to make of it. There are times where it does really feel like Star Trek of old but other times it feels like something completely different. I think this is what my biggest issue was with the whole thing, it didn't really know what kind of show it wanted to be. I think some of the best parts of the show were when it completely slowed down and allowed the characters to just talk to each other. Some of the exchanges that played out between the characters were quite thoughtful and emotional. 

Spoiler

There were far too many back stabbings and switching of sides for my liking during the course of the final episodes and I HATED what they done with Picard. I knew fine well that they weren't going to kill him off and how things were going to play out. They essentially repeated what X-Men: The Last Stand done with Patrick Stewart/Xavier in that. I honestly would have been fine with him dying the way he did. He managed to get the Federation to essentially admit they were wrong and uncovered the truth about what happened on Mars. He finished what he started and it would have been a good way for him to sign off.

I loved Rios. I thought his character was great and seen him as a Han Solo type of guy. Again, when he was allowed to slow down, open up about his past and told the tragic tale of his captain to Raffi, I thought it was a great scene. He looked amazing flying his ship with a cigar in his mouth. Every time he done this it always cracked me up.

A character I didn't really like was Agnes. I felt it was kinda glossed over a bit how she killed a man, even before they knew about the vision she had. They just let her walk about the ship as if nothing had happened. Very weird.

I was kinda disappointed with the lack of action from the Borg cube. I was loving it when Seven powered it up and started repairing it. I burst out laughing when it came through the portal and the reactions it got. Sadly, all it done was crash. :( 

Not a bad series, but not great either. Still, it did manage to keep me watching until the end, which is something that both Discovery and Enterprise failed to do.

You know, I still really enjoyed Picard overall but this re-done scene from the finale is so much better than the crappy copy and paste we got

Spoiler

Proper designed Starfleet ships. Not that Eaves rubbish. The man's past his sell by date, by a long time.

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'm concerned they going the way of Marvel. Too much all at once.

Fixed that for you :cheeky:

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Fixed that for you :cheeky:

I haven't seen a Marvel film in a while though.

5 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I haven't seen a Marvel film in a while though.

Both franchises had big climax films last year, but it's been 22 Marvel films in 11 years, and like 9 tv shows with plenty more on the way. Sorry just a bugbear of mine that people use Star Wars to refer to over-saturation when Marvel's far worse. Star Trek looks to be heading a similar way, Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, the Section 31 show + 2 animated shows.... does seem like a lot all at once.

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Both franchises had big climax films last year, but it's been 22 Marvel films in 11 years, and like 9 tv shows with plenty more on the way. Sorry just a bugbear of mine that people use Star Wars to refer to over-saturation when Marvel's far worse. Star Trek looks to be heading a similar way, Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, the Section 31 show + 2 animated shows.... does seem like a lot all at once.

I can't speak for other people, and I don't want to get into a marvel vs star wars discussion, but I've been enjoying the marvel films, while I haven't been enjoying the last star wars films. Infinity war was last year? Corono makes it seem like 10 years ago. Quick analysis gives me 2 reasons: one, marvel sticks to a forumla and executes it well. Star Wars has strayed from its formula which made me love it 30 years ago, and does whatever it does now, very poorly to say the least Edit: Actually, that's maybe not quite it, as one of the things I hated is actually how they copy too much of the older films //. And two, Marvel has a great overarching vision. Star Wars has no vision at all. Fact is, I'm pretty much hankering for a Marvel film at this point (again, thanks to Corona), even though I wasn't super hyped about Black Widow at first. On the other hand I don't give a shit about any new Star Wars films. I skipped the last one, and will skip any new ones. 

Edited by Sméagol

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I can't speak for other people, and I don't want to get into a marvel vs star wars discussion, but I've been enjoying the marvel films, while I haven't been enjoying the last star wars films. Infinity war was last year? Corono makes it seem like 10 years ago. Quick analysis gives me 2 reasons: one, marvel sticks to a forumla and executes it well. Star Wars has strayed from its formula which made me love it 30 years ago, and does whatever it does now, very poorly to say the least Edit: Actually, that's maybe not quite it, as one of the things I hated is actually how they copy too much of the older films //. And two, Marvel has a great overarching vision. Star Wars has no vision at all. Fact is, I'm pretty much hankering for a Marvel film at this point (again, thanks to Corona), even though I wasn't super hyped about Black Widow at first. On the other hand I don't give a shit about any new Star Wars films. I skipped the last one, and will skip any new ones. 

This isn't about the relative quality of the franchises. You don't give a shit about Star Wars, I don't give a shit about Marvel. (A tediously over-used time travel reset button resolution to Infinity War, full of plotholes? How fucking lame was that!)

Marvel sticks to a formula because they have decades of comic books already released to make movies out of. They've done a good job tying it all together but the stories are already out there that people like. It's easy to have a vision when every storyline is on the table in front of you already. Star Wars is crafting new stories all the time, which is obviously much harder. Sure the sequels could have done with a bit more planning ahead of time but the original trilogy was made up as it went along and the Mandalorian, Rogue One, Rebels and The Clone Wars are hugely popular at the very least.

But yeah, this isn't about one versus the other. We all have different tastes. My point is Marvel is the definition of oversaturation, it's why I barely give two fucks about it nowadays, I just got burned out by 22 films in 11 years and 9 tv series. With 4 more films and 4 more tv shows in the next couple of years planned. THAT is oversaturation, not Star Wars, and it looks the way Trek is going right now.

Edited by Ronnie

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

[..]

Like I said, I didn't want to get into a Marvel vs Star Wars discussion. The facts are, I like Marvel, and I don't like Star Wars (or at least not the current films), and I used to love Star Wars, and didn't give a shit about Marvel.

I think saturation is fine so long as you are discerning. Just because there are a bunch of films/shows doesn't mean you HAVE to watch them all.. just be selective. I actually would like more options, I liked pike, best bit on discovery and tbh for me discovery is done (unless the next season fixes a bunch of issues, mainly killing off or drastically altering a large portion of the cast to make it watchable)

So yeah, looking forward and hoping they make something I can enjoy

1 hour ago, Pestneb said:

(unless the next season fixes a bunch of issues, mainly killing off or drastically altering a large portion of the cast to make it watchable)

+1

Starting with Burnham.

Looking forward to watching Star Trek Lower Decks next month. Here’s the ship from it.

That looks pretty good. Interesting to focus on someone other than a bridge crew for once.

2 minutes ago, bob said:

That looks pretty good. Interesting to focus on someone other than a bridge crew for once.

Yeah I'm liking the look of it. Looks like it should just be a fun show.

I'll certainly give it a chance. My long term hope is a new Star Trek animated series will one day get made (I'd love an animated "Discovery" prequel series or something). 

44 minutes ago, gaggle64 said:

I'll certainly give it a chance. My long term hope is a new Star Trek animated series will one day get made (I'd love an animated "Discovery" prequel series or something). 

There is a second animated series, although it's a Nickelodeon one, so I'm guessing "child prodigy" as the main character.

• Like 2