NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

But why does God need a starship?

To use as a rad space party boat

I loved the cast though. I wish they could go out with a bang, with at least one good film. To close things off.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me to see Paramount cave in so they can make at least one more.

I didn't hate the cast (apart from Anton Yelchin but that just seems mean now) but I felt the movies, Into Darkness in particular, just tried to force a comradery that hadn't been earned with this version of the crew.

Nah I loved the cast. Including Yelchin. Well except Alice Eve, but that wasn't really her fault now was it?

I enjoyed the first and last at a basic level, but can't call them good. Into Darkness was indeed just plain bad.

I liked the one with the Beastie Boys in it. Which one was that? The titles are all so generic.

I thought that the cast all had some pretty good chemistry going on, even if I never really liked Pine as Kirk. Seems weird that the last one bombed though, I didn't think it did that badly.

I really can't figure out if I like this show or not. If the writing doesn't improve or they introduce more forced "representation" casting I'm probably out. The space visual effects need improving too. And the starship design (Eaves needs booting, it's long overdue). These shorts don't particularly peak my interest but the premise for season 2 is interesting enough at least. 

• Like 1

On 21/09/2018 at 2:18 PM, Ronnie said:

they introduce more forced "representation" casting

Yeah, a woman (a black woman at that) and a Japanese person. What next, a Russian?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

26 minutes ago, Cube said:

Yeah, a woman (a black woman at that) and a Japanese person. What next, a Russian?

Don't forget that us gays finally got some Trek representation too!  I guess all those women and two gay men is just too far-fetched for a show about an all-inclusive, near-Utopian society. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cube said:

Yeah, a woman (a black woman at that) and a Japanese person.

Yeah, those two are literally the only ones. Of course. Check the bridge next time.

The bit where Stamets and Culber were gazing into the mirror brushing their teeth at the same time was cringe-worthy. The sledgehammer approach. "LOOK EVERYONE WE HAVE A GAY COUPLE ON THE SHOW!!!". Star Trek has always been all-inclusive which is of course great, but Discovery (and tbf most things these days) takes the tedious representation nonsense that seems to be in fashion these days to ridiculous levels, it just looks so forced.

And before anyone has a go at me, I'm not white, nor heterosexual. I am male though, which means I wouldn't be able to get a job directing an episode in season 2 it seems.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

The great thing about Staments and Culber is that they are the complete opposite of the sledgehammer approach. 

Ugh, they're already shoehorning in more Georgiou. I really can't stand it when Yeoh plays an evil character, it just comes off as cringeworthy. And her delivery of that line just sounds off.

Rest looks decent enough. But again the whole Saru/Burnham "family" angle, holding hands etc seems like it's a few seasons too soon. By the end of season 7 the TNG crew were a family. After a year? Not so much. And yeah I know they served on the Shenzhou together, but still.

Apparently there's going to be a new animted Star Trek show.. From the writer of Rick & Morty. I'm intrigued.

Edited by Sméagol

“Lord knows what’s waiting for us out there. Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous.”

Something tells me the writing in season 2 won’t be much of an improvement on last year. :indeed:

Also I was really hoping they’d ditch Tyler. He’s awful and Michelle Yeoh plays someone evil as is she’s wearing a straightjacket. Make that two straightjackets. 

Overall, I like this season. Last two were less interesting, though the last one at least did something better that was a bit of a problem with the other (overall better) episodes: it focussed on one problem, and only had a quick scene about Hugh at the start. Some earlier episodes had too much going on, even if the main issue was interesting (the dying sphere thing, or the human colony), and reminded a bit of TNG episodes. But then they muddled it with other stuff like spore drive troubles and section 31 etc. Though I do like to see where the Section 31 thread is going. My main problem with last episode is the same as all the other stuff about Saru: it doesn't really stroke with what's previously was established about him and his species. Just a case of bad writing and continuity, which is a shame, because out of context I'd have liked the episode much better. Would have like to see more about the Ba'ul as well.

Speaking of context, here's a tip: those Discovery shorts are available on Netflix. I didn't know at first. There are 4, and one is more backstory on saru, so it's great to watch before watching the Saru-focussed episodes. One is a complete standalone in the far-future.. Cool in itself, but might as well have been written as a non-Star Trek. Tilly's episode was weird and seemed like too big of an event to just dismiss quickly in a short. Very un-federation like. Then there was Saru like I said, and the last one was about Harry Mudd. Funnily enough, the one I was least interested in, as I don't particularly like (or liked?) the character, ended up being the best. Harry Mudd's short is genuinely hilarious and has a pretty good twist.  "I’d be sipping Jippers on a beach!"

Edit: Oh to be more specific, as they're a bit hidden away: the shorts are found under "trailers and more".

Edited by Sméagol

The episode with the church and the dying sphere were better than anything from season 1. I especially liked the former, that was a great episode, and it's no surprise it was the most "classic" of the series so far.

Overall though I just don't think it's a particularly good show. Season 2 might be an improvement on season 1 but that's not saying much. Season 1 was awful, imo.

The characters simply aren't likeable and the casting choices might as well be from a parody. Burnham has zero personality and the series seems to be fast forwarding through the crew dynamics. After 15 episodes we're supposed to be terribly sad that Stamets wants to leave, or relate to Tilly's feelings for him, or how Burnham is teery eyed about Saru. These characters haven't EARNED any of that yet. TNG was on for 7 seasons, 175 episodes and by the end the crew felt like a family. Discovery seems to want us to feel that way already.

I do like the central mystery of the season though, that's interesting. I just really hope they don't make the Red Angel malevolant, that would be so lame and predictable.

The look of the series bugs me too, the shots on that Section 31 ship, did they smear some blue jelly on the lens or something? The grading is so generic, cold blue, or warm orange, there are literally no other colours on the show.

I'll keep watching cause it's Star Trek and it's entertaining, but generally speaking... meh.

Edited by Ronnie

yeah a bit of a let down. I watched some old trek episodes, and tbh looking back the writing has often been a bit lame, but I think the casting was a lot better. I also think that there not being a captain as the protagonist may be part of the issue. For me, really the captain is the core character, and this just hasn't had one stable captain. I'm not an expert by any means, but generally, the original, tng, ds9 and voyager all had 1 captain I recall Dr took control of voyager in one (or more?) episodes of voyager, but the main captain remained Janeway, just she was incapacitated.

Anyway, I don't see Burnham as a character that the others can build around, and in an absence of a strong captain... I don't think things will improve. But mainly, the writers are doing a terrible job - I've seen a fan made film that was pretty much on par with this series.... in fact perhaps even better :D 

Definitely glad to hear about season 3. It's been amazing so far. One of the few things I actually care about on TV these days.

If anyone else reads the Trek books, the Star Trek Typhon Pact series are currently 99p each on Amazon for Kindle. I've just bought all 8 of them.

Edited by Happenstance

Amazon Prime Video and CBS Studios International are making it so, striking an exclusive international agreement for the upcoming Star Trek series featuring Sir Patrick Stewart reprising his signature role as Jean-Luc Picard. Amazon Prime Video will be the exclusive streaming home of the new series in more than 200 countries and territories, outside of the U.S. and Canada, it was announced today in a joint statement by CBS Studios International and Amazon Prime Video. Under the multi-year agreement with CBS, each episode will be available on Amazon Prime Video within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/stewart-picard-amazon-prime