NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I never got that far. I dropped it at the first season. It's the only Trek series I never watched all the way through.

Season 1 wasn't bad, but had issues.

Season 2 got a bit better but had a lot of crap in the middle.

Season 3 was great, but was clearly a representation of post 9/11 American TV.

Season 4 had a new showrunner and was pure unadulterated Star Trek with very little of the time travel stuff.

Give it a go again. Start with Season 2 Episode 26 and move onwards. Though really I'd say watch it all, but if Season 1 made you drop, much of Season 2 wouldn't give you much confidence but there is some gold in there.

Edited by Serebii
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to see what a Tarantino Trek movie would be like but as its still the Kelvin universe I doubt I'll watch it.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

It would be interesting to see what a Tarantino Trek movie would be like but as its still the Kelvin universe I doubt I'll watch it.

The thing is, I actually like the cast of the recent films (RIP Anton Yelchin), but yeah, the films got stale quickly. Tarantino may provide the shake-up the films need.

I've just finished watching the first 3 episodes of The Orville (been waiting for it to start on Fox) and I love it. MacFarlane has done an amazing job in creating a Star Trek series that seems to have more in common with the franchise than what Discovery does. I dropped Discovery pretty fast but it looks like I'm in for the long haul with The Orville. The 3rd episode was a fantastic watch.

Ive always loved MacFarlanes work. I love Family Guy and American Dad ( especially the latter ) and I watch them on a daily basis, so I'm happy he's found success with his new project. I see it has been renewed for a second season. 

• Like 2

I grew very tired of Family Guy and American Dad after a while but have really enjoyed The Orville. MacFarlane’s love for Star Trek shines through. I enjoy Discovery as a sci-fi show but not necessarily a Star Trek one. Orville seems to fill that void.

Orville is good, like something in between Red Dwarf and Star Trek. It's a good character-based comedy-drama. I enjoy it as its own thing and it shines when it does stuff that Star Trek wouldn't do (I think Episode 3 is actually the second worse episode, after the date rape episode). 

Hopefully it becomes more of its own thing in season 2.

Yeah I was really surprised by The Orville. I made the assumption that Orville would just be a bunch of dick and fart jokes on a space ship but it turns out its a decent show. It even feels like TNG at times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Yeah I was really surprised by The Orville. I made the assumption that Orville would just be a bunch of dick and fart jokes on a space ship but it turns out its a decent show. It even feels like TNG at times.

Yeah same. I'm really enjoying it. It's tackling issues but it's more light hearted. It's enjoyable for sure

• Like 1

Yeah I can't stand Seth McFarlane, so I'll take a pass on Orville.

On another note, the first episode of Black Mirror has something of a hommage / parody of classic Star Trek as well. I liked some things about it, including the ending, but there's stuff I don't like about it, I can't imagine a futuristic virtual reality game working like that for example. Some of the episode is tongue-in-cheek, but it clashes a bit with the serious stuff in the real world I think.

I don't even like Star Trek, but I enjoyed Orville a lot.

I really like Black Mirror's Star Trek based episode as well, then again, I like most of Black Mirror, so it shouldn't be surprising.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah I can't stand Seth McFarlane, so I'll take a pass on Orville.

Give it a chance, it's not like his other stuff at all.

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

Give it a chance, it's not like his other stuff at all.

I really don't need to.

Even if what you say is true, then:

1] I hate Family Guy with such a passion, that I get angry simply seeing Seth Mcfarlane's face. His face is visible in Orville. Adrianne Palicki's face unfortunately doesn't compensate for it.

2] As far as I know, it's not available here. Plus I don't watch traditional TV anymore anyway. It's not on Neflix. Plus there are tons of other shows I should watch or finish. Giving it a chance would take a good deal of effort, and is time better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Sméagol

I don't even like Star Trek, but I enjoyed Orville a lot.
I really like Black Mirror's Star Trek based episode as well, then again, I like most of Black Mirror, so it shouldn't be surprising.
What did you think of the Orville's Black Mirror episode? Was it as good as Black Mirror's Star Trek episode?

38 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Looks like more Trek on TV could be coming at some point. I'd be very interested in seeing them push the timeline forward with a Patrick Stewart led show!

giphy.gif&f=1

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about that. I'm cautiously excited, but if they're actually going ahead with a TNG sequel (of some sorts), they really need to nail that TNG vibe. Enterprise, being a new show, and more or less a reboot at that, has way more leeway. I'm also worried it's simply going to clash with Enterprise. And also, isn't he an admiral at this point, what kind of adventures is he going to have? 

Having two shows airing together with I suspect two totally different atmospheres (but still in the same canon?).

The old shows all felt like one universe.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Are you confusing Enterprise with Discovery?

I ehh, I am.

• Haha 1

Very exciting news!

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I have mixed feelings about that. I'm cautiously excited, but if they're actually going ahead with a TNG sequel (of some sorts), they really need to nail that TNG vibe. Enterprise, being a new show, and more or less a reboot at that, has way more leeway. I'm also worried it's simply going to clash with Enterprise. And also, isn't he an admiral at this point, what kind of adventures is he going to have? 

Don't think they've said anything about it being a TNG sequel, so doesn't need to nail any kind of TNG vibe I don't think. As for what he's up to, I'm sure they'll come up with a suitable storyline.

This could just be a one-season mini series or something, and from what they've said there's tons of new Trek on the way so I wouldn't worry about it clashing.

I'm happy that we'll get to see Picard again but also that we get to see what is going on in the world post Star Trek Nemesis.