NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

The realisation that Star Trek First Contact came out 20 years ago when Star Trek was on its 30th birthday.

Now it's almost 50

That's me on TNG now. I never saw the first episode of TNG before and it was a nice surprise when they unveiled the saucer separation so early!

Someone needs to hurry up and release an LCARS operating system for computers. No more skins that don't work properly, I want to be able to use the real thing!

Finished my rewatch of Enterprise. I really enjoyed rewatching it again, even though I included "These Are The Voyages..."...we all know Demons/Terra Prime is the proper finale.

It doesn't deserve the flak it gets

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Admiral Ross - actor Barry Jenner - dies aged 75

Star Trek actor Barry Jenner has sadly passed away.

Known for playing Admiral William Ross in Deep Space Nine, Jenner died yesterday (August 9) at the age 75.

He appeared in 12 episodes between 1997 and 1999.

Armin Shimerman, who starred as Quark on the show, paid tribute to the actor on Twitter, writing: "My heart is broken. My thoughts are in grief and incomprehension.

"My good friend Barry Jenner has passed. Condolences to Suzanne and all who loved him."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/a804302/star-trek-deep-space-nines-admiral-ross-actor-barry-jenner-dies-aged-75/

9 new teasers for Star Trek: Discovery from showrunner Bryan Fuller

1. It's based around a familiar event

An "incident in the history of Starfleet that has been talked about but never really fully explored," Fuller teased. It's referenced in the original series, but not seen on screen, and it's not The Kobayashi Maru or the Romulan War – although Fuller did acknowledge that the latter was "close, but no banana".

The event is one that'll be very familiar to Trekkies, he promised: "They should be very happy. I am! It's something I want to see."

2. The protagonist is female…

The yet-to-be-cast female lead is "on a journey that's going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy. For her to truly understand something that is alien, she has to first understand herself." The show is still an ensemble, but with a clear protagonist.

In casting the role, Fuller said he's seeking an actress who embodies "strength, sensitivity and an amusing neurosis that goes with exploring space, which is extraordinarily dangerous and has the potential to be terrifying."

3. And she's not a captain

"We've seen six series now from captains' points of view," Fuller pointed out, so having a lower ranked protagonist who has different dynamics with the crew felt like it presented richer types of stories to tell. Speaking after the panel, Fuller confirmed that the lead character is a lieutenant commander, and the ensemble is made up of roughly seven main characters.

4. It takes place pre-Kirk

Specifically, Discovery is set ten years prior to Kirk's five-year mission. "That gives us an opportunity to bridge the gap between Enterprise and the original series, and also to help us redefine the visual style," Fuller explained.

It also, Fuller acknowledged, leaves the door open for younger versions of the original series' cast to make appearances in theory. As has already been rumoured, the show is set in the Prime universe – that is, non-JJ Abrams.

5. There will be a gay character

"Absolutely," Fuller confirmed, recalling the hate mail that Star Trek: Voyager received back in the day, after rumours that Jeri Ryan's character was going to be gay. "The bile in that letter… I kept it, because I knew if I ever did a Star Trek show, there was going to be a gay character."

On Star Trek: Discovery, Fuller didn't even have to push for a gay character to be included – his co-creator Alex Kurtzman brought it up before Fuller had the chance. "I feel like actually gay rights [on television] have come a lot further in that time than racial issues and women's issues."

6. The story will be serialised

And told very much like a novel, said Fuller, each episode being a chapter. That's not to say that there won't be some episodic planet-of-the-week storytelling, but the show overall will be more arc-driven: "We will have episode that exist by themselves, but are a piece in a much bigger story."

7. Discovery is more sexually explicit than prior Trek

…Which isn't saying much. "There's a reason we call it STD," Fuller quipped. "It's not a nebula we're flying through, it's cloudy discharge." Once the crowd had recovered from that line, he continued: "We're gonna have a broader spectrum to explore those issues, but this is still Star Trek."

Thanks to its CBS All Access distribution, Star Trek: Discovery is not subject to broadcast standards – "although Hannibal was, and we got away with murder..." – so there will be "slightly more graphic content." The discussion about strong language is ongoing every day in the writers room, he added. "Is it appropriate for somebody to say 'oh shit' if a bridge blows up?"

8. Familiar Trek characters may well appear

But not for a while. "For the first season we're going to be keeping to our own universe, it's very tightly wound so there's not a lot of room to encounter some of the established characters. But since we are in that timeframe, moving forward it is absolutely within the possibilities of our universe… but we're kind of digging the characters we came up with."

One familiar character whose appearance sounds likely is Amanda Grayson, Spock's mother, who was played by Winona Ryder in 2009's Star Trek. "I love that character, I love Winona Ryder's portrayal of her, and it would be fun in some iteration of the show to incorporate her storyline. She's not a central part of the show, but we love that character." Asked whether Amanda could appear in the first season, Fuller said it was a possibility.

9. And so might some of Bryan Fuller's regular actors

Fuller, like many TV auteurs, tends to work with actors more than once, and he confirmed that there are "a lot of folks" from his past projects that he's working with "to figure out if their schedules are going to permit their participation." Lee Pace would make a hell of a Vulcan, one reporter pointed out, to which Fuller replied "I agree!"

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a804333/9-new-teasers-for-star-trek-discovery/

All sounds good, Pre-TOS is a good place where that ship design would fit better

But damn what era? what event? so not Romulan War presay but close?

Although Enterprise seemed to go against what had been said before, there is still supposed to be a Klingon war that was never really shown. In First Contact Picard said "There is no starship mission more dangerous than that of first contact... centuries ago, disastrous contact with the Klingon Empire led to decades of war..." and its been mentioned in TOS so its possible.

Although Enterprise seemed to go against what had been said before, there is still supposed to be a Klingon war that was never really shown. In First Contact Picard said "There is no starship mission more dangerous than that of first contact... centuries ago, disastrous contact with the Klingon Empire led to decades of war..." and its been mentioned in TOS so its possible.

To be fair, Enterprise didn't screw with established stuff as much as people claim it did.

To be fair, Enterprise didn't screw with established stuff as much as people claim it did.

There was minimal contact with Klingons in Enterprise, whilst technically "first contact" with Humans, it was not a diplomatic envoy and it wasn't the federation

It's very open to the early federation to send an envoy to Qo'nos (Kronos) to attempt to get them to join the federation - that could easily go wrong and the Klingons view it as surrendering to an empire and being subservient

I like this bit

that's not to say that there won't be some episodic planet-of-the-week storytelling,

I love modern arc-based shows, but I do love episodic Trek episodes too.

I've not seen the latest Star Trek film but I've been watching a few 'Star Trek Continues' episodes recently.

The seventh episode 'Embracing the winds', I believe comes out later on this month.

Vic Mignogna is a really good Captain Kirk (much better than Pine) but all I can hear is Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist doing a Kirk impression lol

Vic Mignogna is a really good Captain Kirk (much better than Pine) but all I can hear is Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist doing a Kirk impression lol

When I watch anime it's normally in Japanese rather than a English dub and I have to admit I've never heard of Vic Mignogna :o before but I do know now that he's done a lot of voice work.

I think the whole STC faithfully recreates the old series very well. There is a strong attention to detail with some decent acting as well. It's only a shame that there's so few episodes out there. (The latest one came out yesterday however)

Edited by sumo73

Just finished my Voyager rewatch. Really enjoyed going through it all again.

Need to decide now which show to move onto next. My new Next Gen blu rays would be nice but I do like watching all this on Netflix so I can watch in different places easily so I might go with DS9.

[tweet]772493204121944066[/tweet]

Whoa, very cool! I'd miss her voice not being the ships voice.

[tweet]772493204121944066[/tweet]

I've wanted that and an LCARS skin for my phone & tablet for so long.

They should work on using her voice for Google Now. It was called "Project Majel" during development, after all.

Not much of a 50th anniversary video if it only shows stuff from the movies

It shows how disconnected Paramount and CBS are if they can't even make a tribute video together.