NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Ooh, Sherlock is in it!

Also: does anyone else think that the music in the trailer is very reminiscent of the Avengers trailer? "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuunh. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunh."

Additionally, I'd like to echo @Cube and his DS9 love: I feel it's a massively underappreciated series. It was very much the fore-runner to Battlestar Galactica - especially with RDM doing some of the stories. It pushed the Star Trek universe to a slightly darker, more morally ambiguous place with episodes such as "In The Pale Moonlight" and "Inter Arma". TNG and Voyager never really had the courage to show the protagonists as flawed human beings with any consistency. Loved the fact that there was a real feeling of continuity with DS9 as well.

It's impossible to win in the days of the internet

Incorrect! I recently "won" on the internet by making someone completely lose his rag over a shitty article his wife wrote.

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/articles/blogs-shanghai/family-matters-shanghai/overcoming-shyness-how-to-help-your-child-cultivate-social-skills/

Try to guess who I am.

Just read an article on IGN which have revealed a few spoilers as it were.

It confirms an alien race making an appearance in the film well known to Trekkies and confirms who the female character is in the trailer wearing the blue uniform. The villains name was given the same as the spoiler on the previous page but people are still saying it is just a cover name for somebody else, especially with the reveal on who the female is...

The other revelation was that Alice Eve is playing Dr. Carol Marcus, Kirk's ex-flame introduced in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan who would also bear his son, David.

Oh, and there are indeed Klingons in the movie, including a visit to the Klingon home world of Qo'noS (pronounced "Kronos"). The Qo'noS scenes are the ones in the trailer where the Enterprise crew are garbed in those funky grey/black casual outfits. A few of the Klingons sport hair, while others rock the bald look of General Chang from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. They have ridged heads in keeping with the modern interpretations of the Klingons. Some also wear helmets reminiscent of those briefly seen by Nero's Klingon captors in the 2009 reboot.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/11/star-trek-into-darkness-revelations

They have also watched the IMAX preview footage, I haven't read the full article, only the beginning which said they haven't revealed everything as they are not allowed too, if your interested you can read it here:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/10/weve-seen-the-star-trek-into-darkness-imax-footage

I'm going to presume that they'll never, ever explain the Klingons, other than the fact that the correct design would look rather stupid.

Additionally, I'd like to echo @Cube and his DS9 love: I feel it's a massively underappreciated series. It was very much the fore-runner to Battlestar Galactica - especially with RDM doing some of the stories. It pushed the Star Trek universe to a slightly darker, more morally ambiguous place with episodes such as "In The Pale Moonlight" and "Inter Arma". TNG and Voyager never really had the courage to show the protagonists as flawed human beings with any consistency. Loved the fact that there was a real feeling of continuity with DS9 as well.

Another thing I especially liked about DS9 was how it wasn't afraid to focus on the recurring character - such as "It's Only a Paper Moon", which was entirely about Nog.

I'm going to presume that they'll never, ever explain the Klingons, other than the fact that the correct design would look rather stupid.

Another thing I especially liked about DS9 was how it wasn't afraid to focus on the recurring character - such as "It's Only a Paper Moon", which was entirely about Nog.

Enterprise explained it rather well, an Augment Virus (based on the Augments like Khan actually) spread through a portion of the Klingon Empire, but not all of it, causing them to lose their ridges for a while

Enterprise explained it rather well, an Augment Virus (based on the Augments like Khan actually) spread through a portion of the Klingon Empire, but not all of it, causing them to lose their ridges for a while

Just reading your post has given me a reminder that I need to get round to watching Enterprise!

I think I will get started on them at some point in January.

Into Darkness will likely ignore this, and give the Klingons their ridged look, because having the TOS look in a big film would look silly.

I suppose you could just say that in this timeline, they got their cure a bit earlier.

It really wasn't a good explanation. It didn't need explaining. It was all satisfactorily laid to rest with Worf's throwaway comment in Trials and Tribblations: "We do not talk about it". Who cares if it was a virus, a ridiculous attempt to blend in as human or the result of cross-species recessive allele re-emergence? We know the truth is that they hadn't been fully realised as a concept, and that was that.

It really wasn't a good explanation. It didn't need explaining. It was all satisfactorily laid to rest with Worf's throwaway comment in Trials and Tribblations: "We do not talk about it". Who cares if it was a virus, a ridiculous attempt to blend in as human or the result of cross-species recessive allele re-emergence? We know the truth is that they hadn't been fully realised as a concept, and that was that.

True, they didn't have to explain it, but I think they did it in a decent manner

Into Darkness will likely ignore this, and give the Klingons their ridged look, because having the TOS look in a big film would look silly.

I suppose you could just say that in this timeline, they got their cure a bit earlier.

Or these ones are the ones who weren't infected

Just reading your post has given me a reminder that I need to get round to watching Enterprise!

I think I will get started on them at some point in January.

You should, it's an under-rated series. It stumbles a little here and there, and does jump around continuity a bit here and there (while making things make even more sense by patching previous continuity holes in Voyager and so on) it's a good series. The fourth season is just amazing

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I saw the 9 minute preview today.

My first thought: Are my 3D glasses working properly? Is this what 3D is supposed to look like? if so, how on Earth can I sit through a 2hr 40minute film looking at stuff like this? The 3D in this was dreadful. The film was filmed (as I later found out) in 2D, then converted. It also seems to have quite a high 2D depth of field effect. This probably looks great in, but the focus being so...focused makes everything in the foreground/background look way to grainy or blurry. On top of this, the 3D doesn't look very 3D at all. Instead, it looks like 2D parts chopped up and placed in front of each other.

Anyway, the film started off...in some building in London. We see....someone worried about their kid. Then Cumberbatch tells this person that he can save their daughter.

The scene then cuts to an M-Class planet, in the middle of an adventure. Kirk and McCoy are in disguises running away from tribes. Some of the 3D in this segment did look impressive, but at each object still looked 2D (in The Hobbit, filmed properly in 3D, even the hair looks 3D). It was simply distracting. I'm certainly going to watch the film in 2D.

That's enough about 3D. Kirk and McCoy are luring away natives, while Spock, Sulu and Uhura are trying to render a volcano (that would wipe out life on the planet) inert. I have to point out that the prime directive (which is mentioned later) is very different in this universe. Whereas before you can't do a damn thing, in this you can protect against natural disasters as long as you don't get noticed. This actually does make more sense than the old prime directive.

Edit: Apparently, this is how the prime directive was in TOS. So it hasn't been changed.

Something goes wrong, Spock gets trapped in the volcano. It ends with Kirk having to choose between the prime directive and Spock (although I think we all know which one he'll choose).

Non-spoiler version: The 3D is abysmal, and looks like cut-up 2D segments. Lots of background/foreground looks very low quality due to the depth of field used for the 2D filming. A couple of 3D shots do look impressive, but still look like 2D objects. Having it just before a film that was filmed in 3D, which looked amazing, does not help it at all. This is one to watch in 2D.

There's some changes to the Star Trek universe, but they do make sense. It also feels more like Star Trek, with a fun sequence before the main events start.

Edited by Cube

*Resisting urge to read your spoiler tag*

@Cube Is the preview shown in all IMAX showings? Or is it only the 3D showings that it's in.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is a little bit of classic Star Trek in that it involves some

Exploration, M-Class planets, Prime Directive

As opposed to entirely

Good guy punching bad guy, explosions, buildings being destroyed

Which felt decidedly un-Star Trek. Although I get the feeling that's nothing more than an opener.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is a little bit of classic Star Trek in that it involves some

Exploration, M-Class planets, Prime Directive

As opposed to entirely

Good guy punching bad guy, explosions, buildings being destroyed

Which felt decidedly un-Star Trek. Although I get the feeling that's nothing more than an opener.

Yeah I did reading something the other day that suggested this film is going to be more 'Trekkie' than the first.

Awesome.

Just finished reading a book called 'Where no-one has gone before' which covers the original series, TNG, DS9 and the very start of Voyager and all about the trouble with getting it going etc.

A good interesting read into the thought processes and how stand out it sounded in the 60's. What with multicultural crew and being the first TV program to ever show a interracial kiss etc. Stuff which I never took any notice off as I just seen it as a crew but how big it was then.

Another thing I can't believe is that I didn't notice that the 3 old klingons who appeared in DS9 to meet up with Dex to avenge a death where the three same klingons who kirk had 'issues' with in the original series till I read it in the book.

Strange coincidence. I've become a big fan of DS9 recently, and was pleasantly surprised when I checked to see if anything was announced for this year's London Film and Comic Con.

Sisko, Ezri, Quark, Rom, Nog, Admiral Ross and Female Changeling are attending. As well as some good other, non-Star Trek guests (some Stargate people, Linda Hamilton).

Star Trek related, so shall put it here -

Ailing 'Star Trek' fan who got 'Into Darkness' sneak dies

A dedicated "Star Trek" fan with terminal cancer was granted his last wish with a private screening of "Star Trek Into Darkness" before dying just days later on Jan. 4.

Daniel Craft, one of the directors of the New York Asian Film Festival, was able to view a DVD screener of J.J. Abrams' upcoming "Star Trek" movie thanks to Abrams. Craft died of liver cancer, according to fellow NYAFF founder Grady Hendrix.

In a post on the "Star Trek" section of Reddit.com, Hendrix thanked the online community for helping getting the story picked up by the media and eventually onto the radar of Abrams, who dispatched a producer to Craft's New York home with a rough cut of the film.

"The last thing he got to do that gave him pleasure was watch the new 'Star Trek' movie. And it's because of you," Hendrix wrote.

In a post on the New York Asian Film Festival's Facebook page, one of the final things Craft said to his wife was "I'm going ... into the future."

Actor Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the new "Trek" films, noted Craft's passing on Twitter, writing, "My heart is with the family of dan craft. 'may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.'"

This isn't the first time Abrams has used his position as the current mastermind of the "Star Trek" movie franchise to provide a measure of happiness to the dying. In 2008, the filmmaker extended an invitation to Randy Pausch, the dying college professor and "Last Lecture" author, to visit the set of the first rebooted film and appear in a small cameo. (Pausch can be seen as a crew member of the USS Kelvin in "Star Trek.")

JJ Abrams with a class act there.

Star Trek related, so shall put it here -

JJ Abrams with a class act there.

Thats the plot of "Fanboys".

Has anyone been paying attention to Eaglemoss' Star Trek Starships Collection?

I've got a fair few models so far and I'm very pleased with the quality of them. Plenty of detail, and the aztec pattern on some (like the NX and Miranda) look stunning (you can only see it when the light shines on it):

Excuse the quality of my pictures. I never seem to be able to take decent-quality pictures indoors.

TtTW4HR.jpg

NX Class

zbpOqEk.jpg

Miranda Class

Wwb0D49.jpg

Excelsior Class

1KAGl7x.jpg

Galaxy Class

SPMNI5n.jpg

Defiant Class

ghGbVI7.jpg

Intrepid Class