NEurope
mr_bogus

Factor 5 working on Wii

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/04/factor-5s-wii-game-finally-coming-out-in-09/

"It’s no secret Factor 5, the developer behind many Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games and Lair, is working on the Wii. The studio claimed they have a powerful engine ready last year, but still haven’t announced an actual game.

Perhaps, their first Wii game is coming out in 2009? According to Achim Moller’s LinkedIn resume it is. Moller also mentions a canceled game with Brash Entertainment. This fits since Factor 5 had a multi-game contract with Brash Entertainment before they closed their doors last year.

Considering Moller is the CEO and Lead Engineer in the Germany office we should be able to trust his word, right?"

What's going on with Factor 5 atm then? I thought they'd hit finacial trouble and closed down somewhat for the time being.

I know their employees were suing them for not paying them wages for the last couple of months of the year, but I've heard nothing else.

So unless they've found another publisher to bank roll them for a while, surely not much could have changed.

PILOTWINGS!!!!!

Is that before or after Kid Icarus?

Is that before or after Kid Icarus?

Knowing Nintendo's genius release scheduling, they'll release on the exact same day.

What's with all the Kid Icarus love? As far as I know it's one average NES game (imo) or are there more games I don't know about.

^ It got a sequel of sorts on the Gameboy which was good. The first one was great, just obscenely hard. The reason for all the love is because it's an unfulfilled franchise that shouldn't have been left in the cold on the NES. I think it was perhaps too far ahead of its time because the kind of adventure that would make it stand out would have been very close to Zelda on the NES but given that we know what the Wii is capable of I reckon there is enough there to make a discernable adventure that wouldn't be compared to Zelda (Although people would still do it).

Up in the sky

Look in the artists comments. Is Matt trying to hype it up this year as-well?

What's with all the Kid Icarus love? As far as I know it's one average NES game (imo) or are there more games I don't know about.

how very true..

most nintendo fans only want this because of pit in smash bros.. its about the same as mother really.

how very true..

most nintendo fans only want this because of pit in smash bros.. its about the same as mother really.

That may be what started it. And then a former member of R&D 1 apparently asked to use the Pit model from Brawl in a future project. But really, I can see it working quite well as a platformer/OTS/Adventure type game. The original Kid Icarus game was described as Super Mario Bros, Zelda, and Metroid all combined into one game. Imagine if a Wii version combined all that was good about Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3 into one game. I really can see a game with Mario Galaxy style Plat-forming (minus the gravity), Zelda style Puzzles and Adventure, and Metroid Style shooting and controls. I'm not saying that the game is going to get revealed. In-fact, I don't think at this point there will be one on the Wii. I lost all hope for it after last E3, but I can see why people want it.

The best thing possible would be ..........

Starfox?

how very true..

I agree that the majority of the people who want a new Kid Icarus haven't even played the first one, but you can't say that about Mother, it has the one of the most fanatic following for a series, and the games are very competent RPGs.

I played a bit of Kid Icarus a few years ago to see what all the fuss was about but it seems overhyped to me. I can see a certain appeal but I think most people haven't played it for a long time and memory tends to be inaccurate in such cases quite a bit.

In any case I think Pit is an interesting character though. After all flying is on of the few things that's not really used in games. Sure there are air combat sims and stuff like that but I mean on of man's old dreams was to be able to fly with as little extra stuff as possible and therefore Pit offers a certain appeal. That and his bow and arrow rocks.

I'm really keen on a new Kid Icarus game. OK, maybe the NES original is not that good (I don't know, I haven't played it), but nor is the original Metroid or Zelda (in my opinion). Not disrespecting them, but time moves on. Kid Icarus needs its "Super Metroid" or "Ocarina of Time".

StarFox with an updated Rogue Squadron game engine would be good.

Chances of it happening though are slim.

I think we can take something from this. If they were developing a Nintendo IP for the Wii, wouldn't Nintendo have kept them afloat until the release of whatever it was that they were potentially working on?

The German division (which is actually the main division) is still very much alive.

We are sorry to announce the closure of the San Rafael-based Factor 5, Inc. studio, but the obstacles created by the sudden bankruptcy of Brash Entertainment for the continuation of operations have turned out too great to overcome in the current economic climate.

Factor 5 GmbH, which has been creating games since 1988 with its headquarter in Cologne, Germany, is entirely unrelated to Factor 5, Inc. and the circumstances surrounding Factor 5 Inc.’s recent challenges. Although we are saddened by Factor 5 Inc.’s situation, our corporation will remain unaffected by these developments and has partnered with both old and new friends in the industry who will reveal our upcoming projects over the next months.

We would like to thank everybody on the publishing and development side who have supported us throughout the last 20 years and continue to do so. The current transition of the games industry is challenging, but as with transitions prior there is more opportunity than ever for independent development out there.

Achim Moller, CEO Factor 5 GmbH

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/14/factor-5-inc-shuts-doors-wii-game-probably-still-coming/

The German arm of the developer is still open and still working on titles to be shown over the next few weeks/months so it is entirely possible that a Nintendo IP is still being worked on by Factor 5 GmBH.

While its always bad to see a gaming company go under, at least now we know that part of factor 5 is still alive and will have a game revealed soon.

I expect (and hope) Julian will head back to Germany then and continue to play some part in Factor 5 development.