NEurope
tapedeck

Do console designs matter to you? (Is the N64 black, grey or charcoal?)

Famitsu readers voted black...awesome.

Haha. *wants admining/modding powers agaaain*

No, it's definitely dark grey. The black gamecube, now that was black.

But he was Gandalf the White by the end.

Saruman had no colour - a bit like them guys and their mythical "dark grey".

Actually, he was Saruman the White until he went a bit crazy and Gandalf the grey became Gandalf the White.

Black General Discussion, haha.

Dyson, I think I used that comparison earlier, but the "oooo, it's a different material/finish" posse jumped in.

No, it's definitely dark grey. The black gamecube, now that was black.

Exactly. If someone has both an dark grey N64 and a Jet (black) Gamecube, perhaps they should post some comparison pics taken with the same lighting.

Exactly. If someone has both an dark grey N64 and a Jet (black) Gamecube, perhaps they should post some comparison pics taken with the same lighting.

No point, since the N64 has something on it that is Black to compare to it's grey in most pics posted here....

Seriously, look at the logo on the front of the system, that is black, it is clearly black against the grey of the N64, and it does have the same lighting.

Reading the past few pages, who actually said it was black?

Retro_Link did I believe... :P

Hahaha this thread is just super funny to read. And seems we're actually getting lots of followers for the Dark Grey movement now! Whoooo! Go Dark Grey Team!

*waves banner around*

It's time to face the facts, boys 'n girls:

"The standard Nintendo 64 is dark gray, nearly black, and the controller is light gray."

Now somebody don't mention that the Xbox isn't black, but dark green. Which it is. :D

Hahaha this thread is just super funny to read. And seems we're actually getting lots of followers for the Dark Grey movement now! Whoooo! Go Dark Grey Team!

*waves banner around*

Umm...
My answer was indeed dark grey/black.
You can go and join S.C.G... he's sat with the Ents, while they too take eternity to make their minds up!

treebeard.jpg

'Hmmm...... Blaaaaaaack? or Greeeeeeey?"

I knooooooowww, weeeee Ents deeeecide Chaaaarcoooooal!

"That wasn't an option Dammit"

"Oooooooooohh! Hmmmmmmmmmmm......"

Edited by Retro_Link

The N64 may well have meant to be black but looking at it (I just went into the spare bedroom to have a gander) it is definitely grey! Granted a dark grey but grey nonetheless!

You all suck.... except Fierce_LiNk (and anyone else who says its grey)

If it was sold under the guise of being black then it is black, in the eyes of the seller and consumer

BLACK I SAY!

The N64 may well have meant to be black but looking at it (I just went into the spare bedroom to have a gander) it is definitely grey! Granted a dark grey but grey nonetheless!

Wait what?... so what colour are you saying? Grey?... but then you say those who said grey suck!

If it was sold under the guise of being black then it is black, in the eyes of the seller and consumer

BLACK I SAY!

This is the point!

It was sold as black, listed as black on Nintendo's websites... whether or not it now looks less black compared to other black plastic or newer products!

But hey... just a bit of fun!

Edited by Retro_Link

Wait what?... so what colour are you saying? Grey?... but then you say those who said grey suck!

It's grey!

The 360 looks good lying flat, but not vertically. Lying flat, those inward curves make it look a slicker and feel great when you dust it or pick it up.

Shit, it's hard to find pics of it horizontally!

The PS3 just looks like a fat slob, real nasty. Not a chance in hell to make it look good in any position.

Sorry but I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion... the 360 looking better than the PS3? I've always thought that the poor design of the 360 was because it was rushed in order to get it out and selling consoles quicker than the other companies. Apart from the PS3 being curved, it's a very slick looking piece of technology. The 360 in its matt plastic case and having an obtrusive hard drive really does look quite old and dreary.

And yeah, the N64 is grey. No doubt about it. Nintendo are wrong if they call it black, since it isn't.

Don't you find the black of the PS3 to present something of clash of colours when compared to the other modern electronic devices that occupy your living space?

TV, black; 360 elite, black; PS3, black; Wii, white.

Wii is the only thing that clashes for me, but it looks good so it doesn't bother me.

Edited by Sheikah

Umm...

You can go and join S.C.G... he's sat with the Ents, while they too take eternity to make their minds up!

treebeard.jpg

'Hmmm...... Blaaaaaaack? or Greeeeeeey?"

I knooooooowww, weeeee Ents deeeecide Chaaaarcoooooal!

"That wasn't an option Dammit"

"Oooooooooohh! Hmmmmmmmmmmm......"

Nooo, I did decide that it is dark grey. My mixed answer was the initial one, before I even knew there was actually a discussion going on about this. =P

See?

Well that honestly was my answer, dark grey black. XD

Does it really matter? If I were to pick, I'd say it looks black though. =P

This thread just gets better. I'd go with charcoal before grey- back in the day I'm sure I heard the N64 referred to as charcoal in some sort of official capacity. That still doesn't change the fact its black... And like Retro keeps pointing out, was marketed and sold as such. :heh:

Is that you in the buttons box, making all that noise? Or is it BLACK?! BLACK! BLACK! BLACK!

In all seriousness, this thread has literally made me 'lol' on several occasions. :D

I prefer to think of it as "Barack Obama colour"... :indeed:

More seriously, it's charcoal.

Surprised no one has pulled out the old Dulux colour chart to sort this out once and for all...

...So I'll do it :D

http://www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/ColourSchemeHandler?name=black

^ that colour matches the N64 perfectly and Dulux call it black, even though it's not. Although this one also matches quite well:

http://www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/ColourSchemeHandler?name=night_jewels_1

I think it's all to do with the way in which the light falls on it. I said that I've seen a black and a grey one so it could well come down to the way in which the light falls on it that makes it look either grey or black. Kind of like pearlescent paint, although it's not really in this case. So yeh, it's definitely dark grey but will look black depending on how the light falls on it.

Another consideration I just thought of, other than people looking at their own N64's, looking at pictures is unreliable because of our own personal monitor settings. Turn the contrast and brightness way way down, and most everything will look black.

Epic lolz at the latest thread title change :D it is sooooo Charcoal grey though >> definitely not black. :P