NEurope
fex

Windows 7

I don't understand why MS can't bundle IE8 with windows if Apple can bundle safari with OSX and linux distro's come bundled with firefox.

Because MS is the only one in a monopolizing position.

I've put aside some money to purchase a new HDD and Windows 7 Premium in a separate account.

Edit: Is it worth getting the release candidate for this now, or waiting until the full version comes out??

Edited by Jimbob

I've put aside some money to purchase a new HDD and Windows 7 Premium in a separate account.

Edit: Is it worth getting the release candidate for this now, or waiting until the full version comes out??

If you've got a bit of free time to install the RC then I would recommend it. It's a solid OS, with some awesome new features. A massive leap from Vista / XP which ever your running.

Edit: The RC is pretty much the full version.

Edited by fex

If you've got a bit of free time to install the RC then I would recommend it. It's a solid OS, with some awesome new features. A massive leap from Vista / XP which ever your running.

Edit: The RC is pretty much the full version.

I have as much free-time as required, am un-employed temporally. I could install it, but i will need a new HDD anyway so i may wait.

I'm running Vista at the moment.

I have as much free-time as required, am un-employed temporally. I could install it, but i will need a new HDD anyway so i may wait.

I'm running Vista at the moment.

Could you not partition your hard drive and install Windows 7 on the new partition? Then once your done erase the partition and you're back to normal

Could you not partition your hard drive and install Windows 7 on the new partition? Then once your done erase the partition and you're back to normal

Can i run stuff from one partition to the other??

Im sure you can run files from one partition to the other but I believe programs have to be installed on the OS thats operational in order for them to work.

Im sure you can run files from one partition to the other but I believe programs have to be installed on the OS thats operational in order for them to work.

Ok, how would i partition the HDD in Vista (i've only done it with XP)

try this program

I'm sure this is the program I used a while back, super easy to use. ie say how many Gb you need your partition to be, hit apply, your computer will reboot and it will spend 5 minutes creating your new partition then boot up and its done. super easy :D

You can partition it in Windows Vista: right click Computer and click "Manage". Then go to Disk Management.

I got a partition set-up now, i split the current HDD in half. Now to install Windows 7 RC to see what its like.

Sale of the pre order version is on NOW Stocks are highly limited may or may not be available when you click

Pro version

Sale of the pre order version is on NOW Stocks are highly limited may or may not be available when you click

Pro version

I've just ordered Home Premium @ £45 its a steal.

Edited by fex

I've just ordered Home Premium @ £45 its a steal.

Can't seem to pre-order the Premium version of this, but the Professional version is going for £89. Bargain i believe.

Edit: I pre-ordered the Premium version for £44.99 from Comet. Bloody cheap i must say for an O/S.

Edited by Jimbob

Can't seem to pre-order the Premium version of this, but the Professional version is going for £89. Bargain i believe.

£89 is a great bargain for the professional. Is £89 cheaper than Home Premium @ full price? If so then I'd be very tempted :awesome:

£89 is a great bargain for the professional. Is £89 cheaper than Home Premium @ full price? If so then I'd be very tempted :awesome:

£89 is the promotional price for the Professional, it is bound to go up in August as with the Premium as well. Premium to £89 and Professional back to what-ever it was (£130+ i think)

Edit: I pre-ordered the Premium version for £44.99 from Comet. Bloody cheap i must say for an O/S.

Im guessing mircosoft want / need to shift the remaining XP user base to Windows 7, hence the low price. Nobody should be running a 9 year old OS. This applies particularly to Colleges/University and a large number of businesses which saw Vista as hassle they didn't want to deal with.

Im guessing mircosoft want / need to shift the remaining XP user base to Windows 7, hence the low price. Nobody should be running a 9 year old OS. This applies particularly to Colleges/University and a large number of businesses which saw Vista as hassle they didn't want to deal with.

It seems that way to be fair. Heck, my old work are still using XP but roughly 1/4 of the PC's are using Vista and some are still using Windows 2000.

I was looking on ebuyer for a new HDD (my current one is failing slowly). They got 500gb ones going for £39.99, i may get a smaller one for October.

Are all HDD's compatible with any PC or will i need a specific one?

Colleges and Universities can get these OS' for free if they are part of the MSDN alliance. That is why I wish I didn't finish uni last year otherwise I could be enjoying my nice FREE version of windows 7 pro. But I'll just stick with the XP and Vista business I got instead.

Pretty much, its down to what kinda kit you have inside really. Check what connector is on the hard drive first, is it IDE or SATA also you might want to factor in cache size and RPM.

Edited by Ten10

Pretty much, its down to what kinda kit you have inside really. Check what connector is on the hard drive first, is it IDE or SATA also you might want to factor in cache size and RPM.

I'll take a look at the inside nearer the time, tis a bit early to order one just yet.

It seems that way to be fair. Heck, my old work are still using XP but roughly 1/4 of the PC's are using Vista and some are still using Windows 2000.

I was looking on ebuyer for a new HDD (my current one is failing slowly). They got 500gb ones going for £39.99, i may get a smaller one for October.

You'll need a 3.5" Hard Drive. Then either SATA or IDE compatible hard drive depending on your system

You'll need a 3.5" Hard Drive. Then either SATA or IDE compatible hard drive depending on your system

Where would i find out what HDD type i got without taking the PC case off (sorry i sound so dull, i used to be excellent at all this but haven't done this in years).

Where would i find out what HDD type i got without taking the PC case off (sorry i sound so dull, i used to be excellent at all this but haven't done this in years).

Hmm I'm not 100% sure, maybe bios would give you this information. If not then its a case of taking the side panel off your case and checking.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Tab "Hardware" and then click on Device Manager and there you'll find the harddrives (usually under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller).

(I hope I translated it correctly because I have the german version of XP)