NEurope
fex

Windows 7

Windows 7

windows_7.jpg

Windows 7 RC Released 5th of May

_45183483_windows7screenshot.jpg

Post all of your Windows 7 experiances here.

So do all Vista drivers work with Windows 7? I was thinking of getting a cheap Windows laptop with Vista on but don't want to if it wont take Windows 7.

So do all Vista drivers work with Windows 7? I was thinking of getting a cheap Windows laptop with Vista on but don't want to if it wont take Windows 7.

I think they do Windows 7 upgrade. Seems like a more polished Vista.

To be honest, it does work a lot like mac now... The major new feature is that they turned the taskbar into a dock. They've fancied it up, hyped it and ripped a lot of Apple - wich is good, because if ypu're stealing, steal the good.

I only experienced Vista, and as a mac user, I like it. I'm waiting for a copy of Windows seven that doesn't stop working after a certain date so untill then I think I might keep it at my forementioned remark.

That's they're whole plan with this, they didn't even change version name to keep compatibility.

I've of people using existing Vista drivers and them working perfectly fine for Windows 7. So hopefully you should be ok. I've got 70% of the RC downloaded. I can't wait to test it out. I'm still on yee olde XP!

Update:

I've just installed Windows 7. So far so good. I'm all up and running even without installing any drivers myself.

Edited by fex

Microsoft have just released the prices for Windows 7

WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE PRICES

Home Premium - £79.99

Professional - £189.99

Ultimate - £199.99

WINDOWS 7 RETAIL PRICES

Home Premium - £149.99

Professional - £219.99

Ultimate - £229.99

From the 22 October launch until "at least Dec 31st" Windows 7 Home Premium will be offered at the reduced price of £79.99 in all EU territories, said Microsoft UK spokesman John Curran.

Whilst thinking £149.99 is a little too steep, £79.99 seems to hit the sweet spot, so make sure if your buying Windows 7 that you get it early.

I'm hoping they'll randomly hand out free editions to beta users. Otherwise I ain't paying that ^

I deceived to get the beta (well, Release Candidate). I randomly found out that we can keep it until March (well...you can keep it for longer but it shuts down after 2 hours).

I'm hoping they'll randomly hand out free editions to beta users. Otherwise I ain't paying that ^

£79.99 should be the price, but £149.99 is far too steep.

Any customers who paid for Vista shouldn't be paying £79.99 for an upgrade. I think £30-£40 is reasonable considering.

On BBC News site it says Microsoft said the upgrade options will not be available to Europe.

"We will not be able to offer an upgrade product within Europe," said John Curran, Windows business lead at Microsoft UK, adding that only the full version of the software will be available to Europeans.

In Europe, Microsoft will send buyers of new PCs a full version of the software rather than an upgrade version. The European edition will lack Internet Explorer.

Europeans who want to get hold of Windows 7 but have not bought a new PC will be able to buy it at a discount. In the UK, the Home Premium edition of Windows 7 will be £79.99 until 31 December 2009.

6gwwau.png

293wnl5.png

People, I'm confused and being a noob as usual - how long do I have to use Windows 7, before this whole shutting down every 2 hours business occurs? I have an email saying that the Beta ends on 1st August 2008 and the Release Candidate will expire 1st june 2010? Ideally I wanna keep Windows 7 on my system until I can upgrade to the official thing. I don't have my old XP disc (it appears to have gone walkies...)

are you on the beta or did you get RC1? it's 1st june 2010 when the OS will start shutting down every 2 hours.

Microsoft have just released the prices for Windows 7

WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE PRICES

Home Premium - £79.99

Professional - £189.99

Ultimate - £199.99

WINDOWS 7 RETAIL PRICES

Home Premium - £149.99

Professional - £219.99

Ultimate - £229.99

Whilst thinking £149.99 is a little too steep, £79.99 seems to hit the sweet spot, so make sure if your buying Windows 7 that you get it early.

Not sure where you got that info from, it's completely duff. There will be no upgrade versions in Europe because of the EU's ruling that MS can't bundle IE with Windows anymore. Every version of Windows 7 will require a fresh install as a result.

The UK launch pricing is as follows;

Windows 7 Home Premium E - £79.99

Windows 7 Professional E - £189.99

Windows 7 Ultimate E - £199.99

All versions are full retail. Home premium will increase in price to £149.99 at some point in 2010 (likely when the beta ends).

Microsoft will also be launching a pre-order program starting on 15th July and running through to 14th August. Within this time you can preorder Windows 7 Home Premium E for £49.99 or Professional E for £99.99. These are again full retail versions and will be available while stocks last.

Source; http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=19061

Its not bad that us Europeans will get a "short term" discount, but still. £79.99 for a full O/S is pretty decent, even for the Premium version of this.

If i have the money/job to aquire the money for a new HDD and this then i shall pick it up. Otherwise i am happy with Vista.

My computer currently has one partition and one HDD. I've tried Defraggin and Perfect Disk and the Computer Management partition section still says that I only have 35MB available shrink space (I have 130 out of 200GB free space).

Is there another partition program that will work around this or am I buggered?

I've noticed that my external HDD is a "primary" partition. Does this mean that if I moved everything off it and format it then I could install Windows 7 onto that?

Edit: Looks like my only options are getting an internal HDD, replacing Vista or uninstalling Vista, making a partition then installing Vista and 7.

Edited by Cube

Due the the clean install nature of windows 7, I think I will stick with my vista business edition. I was really looking to get the Pro version of 7 at 100 quid, but considering how much of a pain it was just to install steam and all the bore and chore of backing up my data, I'll have to give it a miss, unless I can import from overseas somewhere.

I'm curious...won't Windows 7 come with an application to install Internet Explorer (but would require an internet connection), which would be required before you can download another browser (unless you to to someone else's house to download a browser and put it on a USB stick)?

I think Windows 7 will ship with IE, Firefox, Safari etc. but it will be the users choice to select which browsers they want. And I'm sure 90% of user would just install IE anyway.

Unless MS ship Visual Basic and users have to build there own web browser in-order to download firefox.

Windows 7 E, which is what we will get in the European union comes with no browser installed as standard. Microsoft went with this plan as it was the only way they could gracefully bow out of having to do the stupid polling system everyone was fighting for. Microsoft said they were working with Oem's to provide a solution for those systems, most likely what would ultimately be IE8. However the E version of Win7 is clean install only, no upgrade feature in any retail version.

Additionally it is said that there may be a N version due to the same complaint however due to Windows media player (I have N version of vista business was free from uni, why did I have to finish my course last year)

Forgot to say: Elsewhere win 7 will ship with IE8 as part of the OS and will be upgradable from Vista unlike versions E or N.

Basically it is going to suck. I was all for 7 but when I consider the amount of annoyance I would go through to do a clean install its not worth the pretty interface, and Vista works just fine for me. You learn to love it. XP was once the whipping boy everyone hated. Xp sux give me win 98 any day etc.

My guess is users being asked if they want IE8 or not on first boot. If they do then it'll be downloaded through Windows Update. If they don't then they'll have to figure out their own way of getting a browser on to the PC. It fits with reports i've heard that the EU aren't too happy with MS's solution, they wanted MS to leave IE8 out entirely or bundle in various browsers with the OS (though i can't see how this is fair on the browsers that are left out tbh).

I don't understand why MS can't bundle IE8 with windows if Apple can bundle safari with OSX and linux distro's come bundled with firefox.

Because Opera are whiny company dead last in browser market share, and they think that by making a fuss things will get better for them. But it won't. Google chrome came out and has managed to kick up more of a storm than Opera taking a bigger chunk of market share. Opera was just hoping to get their browser into the OS from factory level but Microsoft weren't having that so just got rid of the root of the problem.

The creators of opera should go out and create an OS and stfu. Jeez.

"do you want to install IE" is just another confusing option for novice users..