NEurope
fex

Windows 7

Got this finally today. Formatted my main HDD and installed it on it. Currently installing all the programs I made note of and well... I see no differences yet.

Oh and is IE meant to come pre-installed? I thought there was that whole debate thing and it wasn't meant to be on it. It was already on the bar at the bottom when it loaded up for the first first.

It's best that you leave the default Admin account, as disabled.

I think i shall this time. I have no idea what made my PC completely mess-up.

Got this finally today. Formatted my main HDD and installed it on it. Currently installing all the programs I made note of and well... I see no differences yet.

Oh and is IE meant to come pre-installed? I thought there was that whole debate thing and it wasn't meant to be on it. It was already on the bar at the bottom when it loaded up for the first first.

It wasn't meant to be there, Wikipedia has something about it

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

In order to comply with European antitrust regulations, Microsoft has proposed the use of a "ballot" screen, allowing users to download a competing browser, thus removing the need for a version of Windows completely without Internet Explorer, as previously planned. In response to criticism involving Windows 7 E and concerns from manufacturers about possible consumer confusion if a version of Windows 7 with Internet Explorer were shipped later after one without Internet Explorer, Microsoft announced that it would scrap the separate version for Europe and ship the standard upgrade and full packages worldwide.

As with previous versions of Windows, an N version, which does not come with Windows Media Player, has been released in Europe, but only for sale directly from Microsoft sales websites and select other

And to be fair, Microsoft could be done for this. Because at the moment, it looks like this EU regulation was all in vein.

Edited by Jimbob

I posted a few pages back that since nothing has been officially drawn up it isn't yet being enforced. It will be pushed out by windows update to anyone with IE as their default browser when the time comes.

I posted a few pages back that since nothing has been officially drawn up it isn't yet being enforced. It will be pushed out by windows update to anyone with IE as their default browser when the time comes.

But by the time this update comes, i don't think many people will change from Internet Explorer to another Browser, they'll be too comfortable with what they have.

Well considering the bill hasn't properly been passed yet, it will be a case of too bad when Microsoft has to do it. If you aren't using IE, you won't see it because you've already found an alternate browser. Its just down to the fact that the EU have been too slow in sorting out their paper work.

Well considering the bill hasn't properly been passed yet, it will be a case of too bad when Microsoft has to do it. If you aren't using IE, you won't see it because you've already found an alternate browser. Its just down to the fact that the EU have been too slow in sorting out their paper work.

Yup, they've been too interested in getting the Lisbon Treaty sorted. Obviously i won't see it as i am using Firefox and Opera.

To be fair, the company who it matters to the most (Opera) will probably benefit the least from it - Google Chrome will likely be the main choice because people know the name Google.

They should stick to console/mobile browsers.

To be fair, the company who it matters to the most (Opera) will probably benefit the least from it - Google Chrome will likely be the main choice because people know the name Google.

They should stick to console/mobile browsers.

You watch a few years down the line, Microsoft will attempt to put this same EU Directive into place over Google, because Internet Explorer wouldn't be market leader no more.

Hey guys, dunno whether this is a Windows 7 related problem as such but anyways...

Basically when I try to play Half-Life (the first one) it freezes, it's always at the same point so I can't get any further, I think it's when it's trying to load the next section. It's not the DEP problem, already tried that and my system is clearly capable of running it. Anyone had a similar problem, tried googling but all the results are from years and years ago!

Edit: Ok, it's doing it with Opposing Force and Blue Shift as well, gonna install Half-Life 2 and see if that works properly....

Edited by Eddage

Hey guys, dunno whether this is a Windows 7 related problem as such but anyways...

Basically when I try to play Half-Life (the first one) it freezes, it's always at the same point so I can't get any further, I think it's when it's trying to load the next section. It's not the DEP problem, already tried that and my system is clearly capable of running it. Anyone had a similar problem, tried googling but all the results are from years and years ago!

Edit: Ok, it's doing it with Opposing Force and Blue Shift as well, gonna install Half-Life 2 and see if that works properly....

Coolfunkman had a problem with some of his games earlier in this very thread.

Although I had a few problems initially with some games it was no different on vista.

But I've got the following running fine with steam: Orange Box, left for dead 2 demo. Not really sure why steam has been so iffy. Maybe it could be a 64 bit issue. Reading around on a lot of other forums. It seem the big offender is half life 2 all around. There have been a few times when trying to run it has just killed my system and I've been forced to restart.

Edited by Ten10

I found my old Half-Life CD and that runs perfectly, so I think it is to do with Steam, if Half-Life 2 is gonna fuck up then I may as well just stop playing now since I was gonna play through them all! :heh:

Edito Never minds you can't change the one in 'Computer' but you can change the shortcut picture which is fine.

Edited by Stefkov

One thing that is annoying is programs that close to the Notification Area when you press "X" and have no option to disable it (so you have to go to the notification area every time you want to close it) - stuff like Spotify and TweetDeck.

Hopefully Spotify/TweetDeck get updates to make it more suited for Windows 7 - the new taskbar and jump lists negate the need for the Notification Icon for most programs. Fully background programs are fine with an icon, though.

You watch a few years down the line, Microsoft will attempt to put this same EU Directive into place over Google, because Internet Explorer wouldn't be market leader no more.

Not going to happen. IE will retain the largest market share, the business market will prop it up. We see it now with IE6, most IE6 users are corporate rather than home.

Still, I do think that the Ballot screen should be globally enforced. I should see it in Chrome, an OS X user should see it in Safari etc. Under the current plan it will just result in some IE users jumping ship to Firefox or Chrome, no smaller browsers will get a look in.

Not going to happen. IE will retain the largest market share, the business market will prop it up. We see it now with IE6, most IE6 users are corporate rather than home.

Still, I do think that the Ballot screen should be globally enforced. I should see it in Chrome, an OS X user should see it in Safari etc. Under the current plan it will just result in some IE users jumping ship to Firefox or Chrome, no smaller browsers will get a look in.

aye I agree, it'll make little difference. People that know no better will see IE and be like "YES, I used this before!" because they wont have a foggies what the other options are..

aye I agree, it'll make little difference. People that know no better will see IE and be like "YES, I used this before!" because they wont have a foggies what the other options are..

Reminds me of my parents and when we had our old PC back from repairs.

It had Mozilla Firefox installed instead of Internet Explorer. My Dad went straight onto the net via Firefox and re-installed Internet Explorer. He told us to only use what we are familiar with on the PC. Took me a lot of persuasion to keep Firefox installed. He's too used to Internet Explorer, he won't change for anything.

I convinced my Mum to use Chrome. Although that was mainly because it's an Acer and suddenly went ultra slow after 12 months, so it can't handle Firefox or Internet Explorer.

I convinced my Mum to use Chrome. Although that was mainly because it's an Acer and suddenly went ultra slow after 12 months, so it can't handle Firefox or Internet Explorer.

It's always good to see support going for alternative browsers.

Reminds me of my parents and when we had our old PC back from repairs.

It had Mozilla Firefox installed instead of Internet Explorer. My Dad went straight onto the net via Firefox and re-installed Internet Explorer. He told us to only use what we are familiar with on the PC. Took me a lot of persuasion to keep Firefox installed. He's too used to Internet Explorer, he won't change for anything.

When I set my dad's PC up from scratch, I installed Firefox but made it look a bit IE7, not that it even matters, since he used to use SlimBrowser, which is an IE shell, and looks nothing like IE (has tabs) anyway

He uses whatever I make him use, which is currently firefox 3.5 + adblock/download statusbar/personal menu/ and such, used FEBE to copy the exact same config to his laptop as well

When I set my dad's PC up from scratch, I installed Firefox but made it look a bit IE7, not that it even matters, since he used to use SlimBrowser, which is an IE shell, and looks nothing like IE (has tabs) anyway

He uses whatever I make him use, which is currently firefox 3.5 + adblock/download statusbar/personal menu/ and such, used FEBE to copy the exact same config to his laptop as well

It's all good with people swapping browsers, brings a tear of joy to my eyes.

Anyway

I got a tad problem. I am unable to get my webcam working. The disk cannot install the program needed as it has a "Compatibility Error" meaning my camera is incompatible with Windows 7.

Here is the thing, i got it going before i self-formatted my HDD and not it won't work again. Any suggestions.

And in case i forget, my camera is a Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000

Have you tried running the games and Steam in different compatibility modes? See if that works.

However, my problem was hardware related. I'd overclocked my processor, and it was screwing all my games up. You haven't overclocked anythnig have you? If so, then that's likely to be the cause. I'd suggest reverting your bios settings to normal if this is the case.

Have you tried running the games and Steam in different compatibility modes? See if that works.

However, my problem was hardware related. I'd overclocked my processor, and it was screwing all my games up. You haven't overclocked anythnig have you? If so, then that's likely to be the cause. I'd suggest reverting your bios settings to normal if this is the case.

Nah, every things running as standard, no overclocking. Think somethings wrong with... something, though as it's doing that weird stutter thing I've mentioned before, so dunno what's wrong with it at the mo...

just got windows 7 and im liking it so far. Just getting used to it, but its all familier.

Only cost me £12 :)