NEurope
fex

Windows 7

Right, ok might as well build my own PC then.

What exactly do I need to buy?...

1. CPU

2. Mother board

3. Case

4. Power Supply

5. Ram

6. Disc Drive

7. HDD

8. Sound Card

9. Lan and WiFi card

10. Keyboard

11. Monitor

12. Mouse

Anything else?

I mainly just want the abbility to run windows 7 in 64-bit mode, I'll be using it mostly for web design (photoshop, etc...) and i'm not really a pc gamer but i'd like to be able to run Starcraft 2 at a decent speed. I don't care about High Definition at the moment. The abbility to upgrade to HD later on would be nice.

Cheers.

Why exactly do you want Win7 in 64-bit mode?

Probably just the memory boost, but I'd prefer if we moved the enquiry to a new thread and leave this Win 7 talk only.

Hey guys just a quick reminder that the Windows 7 student programme is expected to go live tomorrow. I've sorted out my uni email address, cancelled my amazon preorder. Good to go. Something that sparked my interest was:

We are offering students the opportunity to buy Windows 7 for an amazing discounted price, £30 for either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional.

In that case I'm going pro.

Linky

Edited by Ten10

How long does this student disscount offer last for?

Until around the 1st January. Offer is now up.

Hey guys just a quick reminder that the Windows 7 student programme is expected to go live tomorrow. I've sorted out my uni email address, cancelled my amazon preorder. Good to go. Something that sparked my interest was:

In that case I'm going pro.

Linky

Hmm tempting. My Uni e-mail still works as well.

Edit: Might as well get it since my e-mail is still active. Should I go for 32 or 64 bit?

Edited by Ike

Managed to get the pro version. WHOOOP!!!!!!! Will apparently let you do a clean install too. £39 + p & p including a physical disc because my internet speed sucks.

Edited by Ten10

I can't complete my order because it wants me to select a country for my shipping address but there are no options. Tried on Firefix and IE.

Edit: nm, it worked on my laptop.

Ordered Home. Don't really care about pro. AM I supposed to have the product key yet or do I get it later?

Edited by Ike

I can't complete my order because it wants me to select a country for my shipping address but there are no options. Tried on Firefix and IE.

Edit: nm, it worked on my laptop.

Ordered Home. Don't really care about pro. AM I supposed to have the product key yet or do I get it later?

I believe the Home Edition limits you with what you can do i.e. how many open windows you have etc. Most have ordered Premium.

I believe the Home Edition limits you with what you can do i.e. how many open windows you have etc. Most have ordered Premium.

He only would have been able to get the home premium edition. Pro is like home but with some added extras. So you get everything in home premium and then some. As for the product key etc. they will give it to you on windows 7 launch day.

Edited by Ten10

It's the Home Premium version. I couldn't see how you order pro.

Basically get the professional version as this time the windows editions stack. Meaning that whatever is in the version below it will be included in that particular version with extras. For example the windows xp mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare

Pro only lacks 2 addition features of ultimate. In other words just get pro.

It's the Home Premium version. I couldn't see how you order pro.

Yellow bar underneath all that was your friend.

Edited by Ten10

Basically get the professional version as this time the windows editions stack. Meaning that whatever is in the version below it will be included in that particular version with extras. For example the windows xp mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare

Pro only lacks 2 addition features of ultimate. In other words just get pro.

Yellow bar underneath all that was your friend.

How do you order Pro from the student thing, all I saw was home premium.

I don't think you can change your order so it might be too late. but there is a yellow bar on the page with this text:

Need to join your university’s network domain? You can also get Windows 7 Professional for £30.00

It seems if you use the link that you originally got that sent you to the windows 7 shop you can order again. Don't know if it will let you go through it all the way.

Edited by Ten10

I don't think you can change your order so it might be too late. but there is a yellow bar on the page with this text:

It seems if you use the link that you originally got that sent you to the windows 7 shop you can order again. Don't know if it will let you go through it all the way.

I managed to to order the pro and I've sent a request to cancel my order for the home premium edition.

Then good times all around. They should accept it. But if you ended up with two version it wouldn't be too bad as you could sell one on for profit.

I also grabbed Pro last night when it went live. Good stuff. I also got the extended download service.

No reason I couldn't get a student to buy a copy for me, is there? I mean... apart from moral reasons :heh:

I asked my College today, about a student email address. I have to wait another month.

Is it true that you need to have windows vista first?

And this backup DVD thing, mentioned in the FAQ?

Also, is this a disc or a download?

Woo, got me 7 Pro with the student thing.

Now I've got a copy of Home premium that'll be doing nothing. Makes a good birthday present for my brother I think.

I asked my College today, about a student email address. I have to wait another month.

Is it true that you need to have windows vista first?

And this backup DVD thing, mentioned in the FAQ?

Also, is this a disc or a download?

A 30 day download, with a 4 quid option for extended download, or a 9 quid extra for a disk to be shipped as well as the original 30 day download.

A 30 day download, with a 4 quid option for extended download, or a 9 quid extra for a disk to be shipped as well as the original 30 day download.

The thing is, I probably won't install it straight away. Is there a time-limit or can I install whenevr I want?

DO you know if the disc comes in the retail box, or is it just a cd on it's own?

I should say it wouldn't come in a retail box, that'd be a huge waste of money on postage for them. But it might come in some kind of DVD case.

And of course you can burn it to DVD (or a dual layered if it doesn't fit) it's a file. I dunno if it's an ISO type thing where you use it to install... I dunno, how was the RC installed anyway? Probably be similar to that.