NEurope
fex

Windows 7

I played a bit of Halo 2 and the framerate is a lot choppier. Could be that the drivers haven't been fully optimized yet. Got to try out some other games soon but when I tried the Beta-Version I didn't have any problems with GTA4 and Burnout Paradise so this could be game specific.

Does anyone here know what the current state of play is like with games compatibility? One thing I absolutely love about XP is it's compatible with so many older titles as well as the latest ones. They might be a bit naff nowadays, but I have a few older games that I'd hate to lose by switching to W7. I'm also hearing that all is not great with more current titles too. Stuff like Street Fighter IV and Bioshock aren't too hot on the new OS apparently.

Is there a complete list anywhere? Cheers all.

Run in XP mode = Win

To K-project; Which older titles are you talking about exactly?

edit: Bioshock doesn't seem to want to play ball....I suspect it might just be my copy though.

Well, I have some stuff like PoP: Sands of Time, Jade Empire, KotOR, Resident Evil 4 (excellent with the mods), GTA Vice City and San Andreas, Fable, even crusty old PES4 I play all the time! I'd be really gutted to lose these games by switching my OS. Then I have Bioshock, Prey, Street Fighter IV, Sega Rally, Burnout Paradise...it's very difficult finding out info on the net about their working status under Windows 7. The beauty of XP is you know 99% of the time you can just stick the disc in and it'll be working as it should be in no time.

@fex - I hear XP mode isn't in the Home Premium Edition. Is this true?

GTA IV and Vice City won't run on 64-bit....not sure about the others.

edit: not san andreas..

Edited by Marthuser

You wouldn't happen to have an ASUS board, do you? Googling revealed that most people that have the problem have ASUS boards. Couldn't find a solution though.

To K-project; Which older titles are you talking about exactly?

edit: Bioshock doesn't seem to want to play ball....I suspect it might just be my copy though.

I do indeed have an ASUS board. I've had more of a play and am still at a loss. This is the sort of niggly thing that does my head in.

I just tried running San Andreas on x64 Windows 7... Works fine for me... not even using compatibility mode, when you say it doesn't work, what do you mean?

I've encountered literally no problems running older games and software so far, heck I've even tried a drawing program designed for Windows 95 and the only problem with that is it crashes if I try and paste a print screen, but that problem was present on XP too.

Oh, only other problem was playing Spelunky (little freeware game, lots of fun)

The layers were drawn incorrectly on the score screen, that was it though.

*edit* Just tried Silent Hill 2 DC, also works fine, which is surprising considering even on XP I had issues with the sound, which seem to be gone on 7...

Edited by Daroh

That's somewhat reassuring Daroh! Thanks for posting up. It's the only thing keeping me from W7 at the moment. They might be crusty old games, but I loves 'em! It does really sound like Microsoft have got this one right this time, and I'm not going to be able to ignore it. Another question: I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+. Should I go for the 64 bit install? I do use Ubuntu as 64 bit and it's been fantastic, but my XP is 32 bit. Still not sure whether I should go 64 bit with Windows.

Thanks. :)

I just tried running San Andreas on x64 Windows 7... Works fine for me... not even using compatibility mode, when you say it doesn't work, what do you mean?

My bad, I meant GTA IV.

That's weird, even GTA III works fine, I haven't got Vice City to try that but GTA III and Vice city are on the same game engine, seems strange that it wouldn't work.

And isn't GTA IV the newest one? Would be a bit of a hindsight for that not to work.

I tried GTA IV on the Ultimate Beta 64 bit and it worked fine I think. You just have to install it in Vista SP1 or just Vista compatibility mode.

a noob question here, so when is the final and official commercial release of Windows 7?

thanks

If you are a student you can get the final release of Windows 7 on the developer network.

If you are a student you can get the final release of Windows 7 on the developer network.

Explain more please?

The Ultimate version was only RC the last time I checked on MSDNAA - so watch out for that. I'm using the Pro version, that one is final and you don't really miss out on important features.

Edited by Konfucius

very interesting, found my uni but it hasnt got a link to the windows 7. So I just e-mailed them and hopefully they will give me a pass and update the server to included it :D

2009-08-14 Windows 7 Professional-English (32 bit and 64bit) is now available in ELMS ...full story

I dont know if it refers to the RC or not, but anyone can get the RC and if this is the full version and it wont run out then its worth a punt!

Edited by AeroScap

AFAIK any application or drivers that used to work on Vista should work on Win7 since it's pretty much the same Kernel. And if something fails you always have the compatibility mode.

I actually had to use the compatibility mode for quite a few drivers to install correctly but the important thing is I got everything to work and the essential system drivers worked without a problem.

In Windows 7 I was installing Vista drivers for my onboard ethernet/LAN and used Vista compatibility mode. Then Windows 7 got stuck on boot, so I went back to my Vista dualboot and Vista wouldn't boot. Had to use safe mode to get to the desktop.

Overall result: onboard LAN is fried (have had to disable it in the BIOS) and I have to buy a PCI card replacement. It could very well be a coincidence.