NEurope
fex

Windows 7

Vista was like a transition. Vista and Win7 were originally planned to be the same OS, and for all intents and purposes, they are basically the same.

You mean a bit like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles? :D

How much of an improvement is Windows 7 over Vista? I had huge problems with error messages that kept on popping up and ruining my online experience. I could not get games to run properly. And let me say right now that I am not a computer nurd. I have no interest in the inner workings of software or hardware except on a very superficial level. I currently have pc with XP Home running. It has never given me any one little problem with error messages or anyhting. I am considering to buy a MAC with their MAC OS. Should I go for Windows 7 instead, is it so much better than Vista that I wont be taken by nasty surprise this time again?

I'm really considering Win 7 ultimate, saw a preoder for it today at £169. Then I thought can I really justify that much dough on an OS. I said to myself probably.....

I'm really considering Win 7 ultimate, saw a preoder for it today at £169. Then I thought can I really justify that much dough on an OS. I said to myself probably.....

Well, £45 was a justifiable amount in my eyes.

You mean a bit like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles? :D

Precisely! Perfect analogy. Except they were separated for different reasons. so it's not THAT perfect

Should it have asked me to write a disk?

You can run the installer from Vista.

I am enjoying it, some nice little touches, although I really do not see the benefit of going Ultimate, Home Premium will do me, may pre-order it soon.

If any of you guys are students, you may be able to get a free Pro key through MSDN:

http://www.msdnaa.net/search/schoolsearchIntl.aspx

If you're school isn't on there, you can also become a member of ACM(http://www.acm.org) or IEEE(ieee.org) for a small fee and they'll give you an MSDN account, with OEM keys to a bunch of software, including Win 7 Pro.

I personally signed up to ACM and am using the keys now.

edit: It's 19usd for 6 month at ACM and $30, I think for 12 at IEEE.

Edited by Marthuser

If any of you guys are students, you may be able to get a free Pro key through MSDN:

http://www.msdnaa.net/search/schoolsearchIntl.aspx

If you're school isn't on there, you can also become a member of ACM(http://www.acm.org) or IEEE(ieee.org) for a small fee and they'll give you an MSDN account, with OEM keys to a bunch of software, including Win 7 Pro.

I personally signed up to ACM and am using the keys now.

edit: It's 19usd for 6 month at ACM and $30, I think for 12 at IEEE.

My school is on there, but how do I find my login info or whatever?

My school is on there, but how do I find my login info or whatever?

Your school gives you one:

You must have a valid user account in this system before you can order software. Your MSDNAA Program Administrator (PA) is responsible for registering you; if you believe you should have access to this system but do not have an account, please click on the Support tab for information on how to contact your PA.

Try typing in your email addy and then go 'forgot password'. If not, go ahead and email the MSDN Program Admin, as Cube suggested.

Can anyone confirm that Pro is already finalized and not RC anymore? If so I plan on installing Windows 7 soon.

It's RTM, I assure you. You can double check the hashes yourself, if you like.

EDIT: They've added the French x86 and x64 versions. The keys are interchangeable with the English, so effectively it's 4 keys now.

Edited by Marthuser

It's RTM, I assure you.

Thanks. I installed it now. Froze during installation the first time but now it's working pretty well although I need to be a bit "creative" sometimes to get the drivers running.

Am I the only one who finds the Vista/7 UI design horrible? Looks seriously tackly and the UI itself seems to be getting more and more cluttered. I'll stick with XP I think, love it.

________

CHRYSLER ROYAL HISTORY

Edited by Ronnie

Nah I hated vista at first but after I configured it the way I like it I wouldn't go back. greater level of security in the newer OS' better multicore CPU support makes them worthwhile to me.

Am I the only one who finds the Vista/7 UI design horrible? Looks seriously tackly and the UI itself seems to be getting more and more cluttered. I'll stick with XP I think, love it.

win7XPstyle.png

How'd you like that? Easy enough to do, even got the Quick Launch bar back. While the Windows Classic look is gone this one remains possible (along with various hybrids of the two). Personally i prefer the Win7 task bar though, it almost negates any need for a start menu. Got mine side docked with most of the programs i use in it. There's a few games that aren't but I launch them through Steam anyway (which is sat in the system tray, hopefully they update it soon to take advantage of the live view stuff in Win7).

Personally i prefer the Win7 task bar though, it almost negates any need for a start menu. Got mine side docked with most of the programs i use in it. There's a few games that aren't but I launch them through Steam anyway (which is sat in the system tray, hopefully they update it soon to take advantage of the live view stuff in Win7).

I really like my layout. The main programs I use on the taskbar, with other common ones pinned to the Start Menu. I've also taken all the other programs in the "All Programs" out of their folders so I just have program shortcuts and "

Accessories there. I also have common folders on the right (Docs, Music, Games, Pics, Videos, Downloads, Computer, Control Panel and Recycle Bin in the pic, but I've replaced Control Panel with my External HDD now) for easy clickage.

desktop1vk.jpg

I personally don't think you can have so much without it looking cluttered on any other version of Windows without installing a ton of stuff.

I installed Windows 7 the other night. I've yet to have a thorough play with it, or install any real drivers or applications. But, the times that I have used it and then shut it down, it has not shut down properly - my fans are still spinning, with nothing on the screen and I have to hold down my power button to finish the job.

Is this maybe/probably a driver issue? I'm hoping so. My wife called me at work today asking about it as it was the first time she'd tried it (it's dual booting with my old Vista install, but she just let the boot manager pick the default).

Does anyone here know what the current state of play is like with games compatibility? One thing I absolutely love about XP is it's compatible with so many older titles as well as the latest ones. They might be a bit naff nowadays, but I have a few older games that I'd hate to lose by switching to W7. I'm also hearing that all is not great with more current titles too. Stuff like Street Fighter IV and Bioshock aren't too hot on the new OS apparently.

Is there a complete list anywhere? Cheers all.

Is this maybe/probably a driver issue? I'm hoping so. My wife called me at work today asking about it as it was the first time she'd tried it (it's dual booting with my old Vista install, but she just let the boot manager pick the default).

You wouldn't happen to have an ASUS board, do you? Googling revealed that most people that have the problem have ASUS boards. Couldn't find a solution though.

To K-project; Which older titles are you talking about exactly?

edit: Bioshock doesn't seem to want to play ball....I suspect it might just be my copy though.

Edited by Marthuser