NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Mac Keychain

It might just be me and the amnesia I'm sure I have, but I can't remember my Mac prompting applications to access my 'keychain' (wtf?) before recently. What's all this about?

Keychain is a 'application' (it's not but whatever) on Mac that basically saves passwords for you. It takes your master sytem password to be able to access all the passwords but basically it means that if you log into something like Mail and input a password, it will ask if you want to save the password to the keychain. If you select yes then you will be logged into Mail all the time, automatically. If you click no, each time you open Mail you will be required to input a password.

I hope this makes sense, I feel like I haven't explained very well. It's just a way of storing passwords so you don't have to type them in repeatedly. And as long as your system password is secure its pretty safe.

Actually, you haven't really answered his quoestion as to why he gets Keychain only now, and not yesterday (or so to speak: timescale may not be correct).

Keychain automaticly saves your passwords and information the first time, but when you update an application it has to regain acces to the keychain it already created, and MacOS prompts you to say that an application is requesting acces. Any application can add data to the keychain, but they can't acces other application's data without your permission (an updated application is a new application, so if it wants to regain data, it has to get your permission to be linked with it's predecessor's keychain).

Would that answer your question or have you never updated an application before and had this prompt?

Actually, you haven't really answered his quoestion as to why he gets Keychain only now, and not yesterday (or so to speak: timescale may not be correct).

True, but he put "keychain (wtf?)" so I thought he didn't know what it was. So in a way I did answer his question, but not fully. Together we are an unstoppable force!

Well it hasn't happened again since making this thread (typical, huh?) so as far as I'm concerned there must have been some crazy self updating.

Many thanks you two.