NEurope
Wesley

Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout New Vegas was announced moments ago during a Bethesda press conference in London. The new game was revealed by Bethesda's Pete Hines who said that the publisher is working with Obsidian Entertainment on the title.

It will be coming out next year for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

"It is not a sequel to Fallout 3," Hines said. "It's simply another Fallout game in that universe."

It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallot 3, he said. The game's official reveal, with more details and a look at the game down the line.

Hines added that this title will have no impact on what Todd Howard and his team are working on.

Obsidian Entertainment is the development studio that rose from the ashes of Black Isle Studios, responsible for developing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights, Alpha Protocol, and Sega's Aliens: Crucible RPG, which is currently on indefinite hold.

http://kotaku.com/5219584/new-fallout-announced

I'm so excited!

I don't think it will be a post-apocalyptic landscape but rather just a large industrial city. I assume it will be slightly smaller than Fallout 3.

Why wouldn't it be the same sort of scene as Fallout 3 - in terms of post-apocalyptic? I mean... they state that's it's not a direct sequel, but the same universe... so let's assume they haven't done something radical like expand on areas that haven't been present in the Fallout series (since being bought by Bethesda), such as a total change in genre or timeline. This pretty much leaves a similar game, but with a change in environment.

The reason why I assume no radical changes will happen is because it's unlikely they'd let a different developer make those changes. They'd of most likely given them the tech, engine and support for a similar game. I don't mean this in a bad way, but, Fallout 3 turned out to be a cash-cow for Bethesda, so to do this to replicate Fallout 3 sales is likely - for that to work it needs to be a replication of Fallout 3.

This is made more likely with the rumors of them developing the Elder Scrolls series into an MMO - an apparently expensive business.

Obviously my opinion...

Fallout 1 & 2 didn't have locales that were blown up by an A-bomb, so the Fallout universe just means it'll just be a similar style graphically. I don't think they'd get away with making it post-apocalytic again.

They only need to stick Fallout in the name for it to be a cash cow anyway. It'll probably be in development for a good few years because they aren't exactly quick to develop.

What I really loved about 3 was the retro feel - it made things so much creepier and appear more tragic somehow. It was like the place was rich in history before everyone was blown apart.

Fallout 1 & 2 didn't have locales that were blown up by an A-bomb, so the Fallout universe just means it'll just be a similar style graphically. I don't think they'd get away with making it post-apocalytic again.

They only need to stick Fallout in the name for it to be a cash cow anyway. It'll probably be in development for a good few years because they aren't exactly quick to develop.

What I really loved about 3 was the retro feel - it made things so much creepier and appear more tragic somehow. It was like the place was rich in history before everyone was blown apart.

Well I was talking about what Bethesda have done with Fallout since buying the IP. Also, it's meant to be out next year... says in the first post. So for something that has be slated next year, and probably started only a few months ago (I doubt very much that it would of started before October...), it suggests that it will be very similar. I could be wrong... it just seems that way to me.

Also, you mention Fallout 1&2, but to the mass public that bought Fallout 3, I would assume a fair amount, probably a majority, hadn't played the first two titles... so to keep it similar to Fallout 3 makes sense.

Fallout 1 & 2 didn't have locales that were blown up by an A-bomb,
They did, didn't they?! Isn't that the whole reason behind the name Fallout!

Oh I didn't think they were set in the sam sort of environment, hoped there weren't when I said that :p

Wow the Bethesda guys must not get a vacation. I hope they learned a few lessons from 3 and dont release this until its glitch-free. Good news though, id rather have a whole new game than a bunch of DLC that i can't get on PS3

Just to make a quick point. This is by Obsidian, and Obsidian has guys from Black Isle making up part of the team. Black Isle did Fallout 2 among other great RPGs.

My guess is FNV will be more like Fallout than Fallout 3 is.

Wow the Bethesda guys must not get a vacation. I hope they learned a few lessons from 3 and dont release this until its glitch-free. Good news though, id rather have a whole new game than a bunch of DLC that i can't get on PS3
Is the DLC 360 exclusive then?

...and PS3...

Seriously does anyone read the first post, lol.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I thought you were talking about New Vegas.

*walks off ashamed*

EDIT 2: But I get points for pointing out first I was an idiot... like the saying, "He who point first, in a mirror, is the best..."

Edited by Wesley

Can't wait for this! Fallout 3 is in my top 5 games of all time! So definitly looking forward to this!

Might have to pick up that Fallout Collection (1, 2 and tactics?) from GAME in abit :)

Can't wait for this! Fallout 3 is in my top 5 games of all time! So definitly looking forward to this!

Might have to pick up that Fallout Collection (1, 2 and tactics?) from GAME in abit :)

Tactics is good, but it's not spectacular and it's not really Fallout.

You may want to look into Gog.com they have all 3 of the original fallouts (and many more) for download and DRM free. Idk if those would be better prices or not.

Tactics is good, but it's not spectacular and it's not really Fallout.

You may want to look into Gog.com they have all 3 of the original fallouts (and many more) for download and DRM free. Idk if those would be better prices or not.

Great service and prices are bargains on gog.com you won't find them cheaper as DRM free downloads anywhere...

Really looking forward to this...Loved Fallout 3 won't be getting any DLC as PS3 owner so this is the next best thing...

Bloody awesome. Fallout 3 has given me about 40 hours of game time so far and I'm only just half way through the main quest. Love this game to bits.

If it's as good as Fallout 3 then that's my gaming life taken care of next year. I still haven't cleared my backlog of games caused by Fallout 3.

It won't be better than Fallout 3 simply because it isn't in development as long.

Well I dunno... if you had all the tech there with a pipeline already set up and proven, with support from Bethesda for it... I think they could put out something pretty decent. I don't think it will be an improvement in terms of gameplay... but it could definately match in terms of story and characters, etc.