NEurope
Guest Jordan

Zune HD - yet another entry in the journal of Apple fans vs THE WORLD!!!!!

Interesting... I was thinking of getting another Zune (with the pad) later this year. Mostly because I'm really getting interested in programming for Zunes. Maybe I'll hold off until details of this come out.

One thing though, I've always loved the design and style of the Zune. Everything about it from the product itself to the images used in marketing are awesome. Maybe I have a strange taste. Still!

Sounds interesting, but I'm probably more interested in the Samsung Omnia HD, only because its kind of like an mp3 player doubled as a phone. Hopefully this will have all the quirks to bring it up to scratch with other devices out there. Maybe they might decide to take Europe seriously this time, and bring it out here properly.

The problem with Samsung's is... They all use Resistive touch screens. If this does, I'll not be happy. Capacitive > Resistive...

How could you love the first Zune? It was a brown brick of poo. Zune 2.0 started to give to Zune it's own look and feel, and professionality. This Zune HD looks good and damn that marketing company knows how to make the Zune in style!

I liked it, I have that one. I dunno, maybe... maybe we have... different tastes! :heh:

I don't understand what you mean Ben10, released properly in Europe? Microsoft never even started to half release it in Europe. You could just import.

The problem with Samsung's is... They all use Resistive touch screens. If this does, I'll not be happy. Capacitive > Resistive...

Omnia HD is going the capacitive route.

I don't understand what you mean Lord Ten10, released properly in Europe? Microsoft never even started to half release it in Europe. You could just import.

Yeah by that I meant you could buy it online from UK based retailers but not in the general high street, but in my travels to the US there were zune centres in best buy yelling at you to buy one. Almost did but because they love to add tax after you decide to buy something I was put off.

Hmm just did a bit of research on touch-screen types, while Capacitive is better than Resistive, the latter can't be that bad for certain applications as the DS / DSi uses it and that works well.

I can easily see why you would want the best type of touch screen implemented inside a portable HD device though, especially if they cost a couple of hundred or something.

Hmm just did a bit of research on touch-screen types, while Capacitive is better than Resistive, the latter can't be that bad for certain applications as the DS / DSi uses it and that works well.

I can easily see why you would want the best type of touch screen implemented inside a portable HD device though, especially if they cost a couple of hundred or something.

Basically, resistive touch screens can work with any input device (stylus, finger whatever). Capacitive only works with finger input usually.

Using a stylus can be super clunky (apart from on the DS where its actually great.)

Basically, resistive touch screens can work with any input device (stylus, finger whatever). Capacitive only works with finger input usually.

Using a stylus can be super clunky (apart from on the DS where its actually great.)

Oh right, that makes sense I guess as if your using it on a phone or something then you probably won't want to be reaching for your stylus everytime you want to make a call.

But if you can only use a finger with Capacitive touch screens, that could imply that it's less sensitive than a Resistive touch screen being as a stylus is finer than a finger, except I'm guessing that it's actually more sensitive in that it will pick up even a simple flick across the touch screen easily, whereas with the DS stuff like that is easier to do with a stylus.

The reason you use your fingers with the iPhone is because you have to, its your fingers that allow the touch screen to 'conduct' as you need electrons from your fingers to the screen. Thats why stylus's don't work or even if you tried to use your iPhone with gloves on.

Resistive touch is almost like a big button where you have to push down on it for it to react.

Zune HD? Sounds nice. Is that like......HD video?

hopefully yeah but isnt nobody is sure. I mean does that HTC touch HD support HD video or only let you record in 720p?

Will be interesting to see what the Zune HD will support as companies like Archos and Cowon have been struggling with HD Video support. Cowon O2 still has problems running 720p MKV files.

Archos have recently released the the HD plug-in but it only supports 720p WMV and AVI files and not MKV.

Some chinese players support 720p video but again only RMBV files.

Just out of interest, because the Zune looks pretty cool, why would I want this over an iPod Touch?

Technologizer has learned that rumors surrounding the third generation Zune model are indeed true, and Microsoft’s music player would be getting a high-definition upgrade sometime in the fall, most likely in September or October. Sources close to the Zune team indicate that Engadget’s shots of the marketing materials are indeed authentic, but are fairly tight lipped on exactly what the player may have.

What we do know is this: the size of the device is set to come in smaller than the iPod touch (although we believe in size, not in thickness). Capacities should be competitive with that of the iPod touch, and like the touch, it would sport a touchscreen interface. The old click wheel would be replaced with a single-button as the pictures show.

We’re still trying to source out more information on it, but we do know with a good deal of confidence that this information is correct — these sources have accurately called the launches and specs of two previous launches (see my stores at Betanews: here and here).

More as we get it…

New Details: We’re being told that the Engadget marketing materials are likely not the final art for any advertising. So while the device is real, this art is probably just a draft.

Technologizer

Nice :D Kinda annoying that media players are getting so good and yet very few actually have a SIM card slot. With these touch screen players all having web browsers it'd be great to add one, i'd flog my phone straight away (not including the Archos 5G here, it's too big!).

Resistive does have the advantage of responding to finger nails though, which is kinda handy because you can use your whole finger to control rather than just the tip. If they could refine it to react a little bit better then i'd pick it over a cap screen every time. I've heard the Touch HD comes close?

look at Windows Moble 6.5.

WinMo 6.5 is just 6.1 with a new front-end (or it is on the Betas i've used). The back end (i.e. the most complained about part of WinMo) is still a stylus job. It needs 3rd party software to make it finger friendly (like the new Touchflo that'll be debuting on the Diamond 2).

If the Zune launches with stylus it would be an old-fashioned nineties accessory, just so you could lose it and buy a new one, and you had to keep in mind you needed a hole to stash it in...

This point seems a bit moot.

I'm hoping for the Zune to have finger-touch for general use, but with a stylus option, used for games. The Zune has recently had an increase profile for games, with newer XNA software having support for Zune. For Microsoft to be serious about games on Zune (perhaps with compatibility with XBox games) they shouldn't skim on the game's side. I think finger-only would do this.

I like touching screens with the end of my nails so I dislike capacitive touch screens like the iPhone, multi touch is nice, but I like using a phone with one hand

Edited by RoadKill

According to Neowin the new Zune has:

* 3.6 inchish OLED full touchscreen

* NVIDIA Tegra powered.

* 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 120GB versions.

* HDMI Connection to stream straight to your TV.

* HD Radio.

* Web Browser.

* WiFi compatible, with wireless marketplace.

* Released, early fall.

* International release of the Zune device itself.

* Home AV packs, Car packs, Charge packs.

Tegra is crazy.

720p output with very low battery usage. Also, 120GB version? ...Want.

Anybody can guess that... I'de be surprised if it didn't have those features! But what will make it special?

You don't see what's special about a OLED screen, a tegra processor and wireless syncing?

Wireless synching is already avaible for the Zunes and it's horrible and stupid. Look at it honestly: wirelessly syncing your library is useless. off course, on a track-by-track basis is a better idea but the current implementation sucks.

All those specs say almost nothing. OLED screen? Wow, amazing. You get a good screen, so what? I'm perfectly happy with the iPhone screen as well, and I'm not a screen-o-maniac on this matter. Decent resolution and good colors is what they need for fine marketing, not terms like OLED (really: consumers couldn't care less about specs, they just want it to work).

Stop drooling over these so called specs. They don't make the device more sellable or better marketable except with a few geeks. And that's not what they try to reach - certainly not if there's a more global launch coming up.

Those specs are thrown around everywhere, but it doesn't define the device. The iPhone runs good movies on an AMD processor, and 'decent' games (most of them don't work eprfectly, though). I am amazed how easy the geeks of today are pursuaded by mere specs. Iwata already said it, and he was damn right: specs don't matter anymore, it's what you do with them. It could have the best specs ever, but if it's features are identical to the iPod (Touch, probably), people won't give the Zune a second thought and just move on. If they want to establish this brand they need actual good features that makes them special.

Specs don't make a device special anymore. You could drool over them ten years ago, but today they don't matter that much.

And no, they don't. I'm sure the specs sound all good, but still: functionality tops specifications. Guessing specs is also easier than guessing what microsoft is planning for original functionality and features that users might want. It's harder to come up with something original in software, than adding some numbers on the hardware.

If functionality mattered so much... Why did people buy the original iPhone? It came out 3 years after 3G was released. Why did they buy the iPhone 3G on release despite lacking many key features, some of which still aren't coming in this latest firmware release?

Your post reads like fanboy drool... :-/

Wireless synching is already avaible for the Zunes and it's horrible and stupid. Look at it honestly: wirelessly syncing your library is useless. off course, on a track-by-track basis is a better idea but the current implementation sucks.

All those specs say almost nothing. OLED screen? Wow, amazing. You get a good screen, so what? I'm perfectly happy with the iPhone screen as well, and I'm not a screen-o-maniac on this matter. Decent resolution and good colors is what they need for fine marketing, not terms like OLED (really: consumers couldn't care less about specs, they just want it to work).

Stop drooling over these so called specs. They don't make the device more sellable or better marketable except with a few geeks. And that's not what they try to reach - certainly not if there's a more global launch coming up.

Those specs are thrown around everywhere, but it doesn't define the device. The iPhone runs good movies on an AMD processor, and 'decent' games (most of them don't work eprfectly, though). I am amazed how easy the geeks of today are pursuaded by mere specs. Iwata already said it, and he was damn right: specs don't matter anymore, it's what you do with them. It could have the best specs ever, but if it's features are identical to the iPod (Touch, probably), people won't give the Zune a second thought and just move on. If they want to establish this brand they need actual good features that makes them special.

Specs don't make a device special anymore. You could drool over them ten years ago, but today they don't matter that much.

And no, they don't. I'm sure the specs sound all good, but still: functionality tops specifications. Guessing specs is also easier than guessing what microsoft is planning for original functionality and features that users might want. It's harder to come up with something original in software, than adding some numbers on the hardware.

Your issue is quite simple. For some reason you seem to think that the people reading this thread care what the local chavs think of this device. Most (if not all of us) don't care! From what info is available on this device it does seem like it'll be something i want. They could use MSDos for the UI and i'd still sodding well want one. The harware looks good, the specs are cracking (Tegra + OLED is pretty much a garauntee of class-leading picture quality) and all in all i'm very interested. Whether or not it will click with the wider market remains to be seen. All you're doing is ranting against it based on the spec sheet being good.

As for original features, there's no such thing (as you should know fine well, look at the iPhone). Originality is in the package of features available and how they are tied together. The Zune has always done this well in the past and will hopefully continue to do so.

Jasper seriously sounds like a designer who is pissed at the world! Chill man!

Anyway, on these supposed specs I'm a bit turned off. I don't like the whole touch thing that is going on. The ability to touch my media player instead of pressing a button to pause a song just doesn't compute with me.

Looks good, I'll wait for some vids that show off the browser before I decide on buying one.

One of these someone is going to make something like this that's actually affordable.