NEurope
Goafer

3D Films, Yay or Nay?

Saw Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D today. Loved the fact that the whole audience looked like the late Ronnie Barker.

ronniebarker1.jpg

The 3D effect's didn't impress me that much, as the film wasn't very gimmick (which was a good thing!) so there wasn't a lot of effects to view. However, the glasses did give the film a HD look, which was great. Think I'll stick to 2D, but if a very gimmicky 3D film come's out, it may be worth the experience.

Ditto on Iun; I'll never be able to fully appreciate 3D movies, so all I can do is PRAY that 3D doesn't become the norm in my lifetime :P

Ditto.

All I ever can see is green or red.... I assume they must somehow blend wonderfully together if your brain works properly...:mad:

Its the same theory for people with only one functioning eye.

Even if a flower came towards me in a 3D film I would brick it, just seems too weird.

Didn't like Pirates 4D, although when the iMax cinema in London was around the stuff they had there was OK.

All I ever can see is green or red.... I assume they must somehow blend wonderfully together if your brain works properly...:mad:

Its the same theory for people with only one functioning eye.

I hate red/green 3d films. My eyes can never merge the colours properly either. Modern 3D films don't use different colour lenses though and the colour lenses are only used for home versions.

People with one functioning eye can still watch 3D films since they would only see one part of the effect. They wouldn't see it in 3D, but it would still be a perfectly clear image. It would be exactly the same as watching a 2D film. I know that renders 3D films useless for mono eyed people, but at least if it became standard they wouldn't have to worry about not being able to see it.

Why on earth would 3-D ever become standard?

That would be a shitty decision, and one that's very unrealistic. It hinders effective storytelling. Can you imagine taking a dark holocaust movie seriously if "The bullets fly out at YOU!" *huzzah*.

That is bad film direction, not bad technology you're point out.

That is bad film direction, not bad technology you're point out.

How could 3-D be used to enhance the storytelling in a serious film then..? I don't understand.

Why on earth would 3-D ever become standard?

That would be a shitty decision, and one that's very unrealistic. It hinders effective storytelling. Can you imagine taking a dark holocaust movie seriously if "The bullets fly out at YOU!" *huzzah*.

Even if it did become standard, doesn't mean it would be used by everyone. Much like surround sound, not every film uses that.

I think surround sound is probably the best thing to compare it to. When that came out I imagine people were like "Holy crap! The sound is coming from behind me!". Now it's used much more effectively.

Like I said with Monsters vs Aliens, it doesn't always have to be a massive effect. MvA used it as more of an enhancement, there were no bits where things flew at you or any massively gimmicky bits.

And I'll admit a hard hitting documentary or drama wouldn't benefit from 3D, but imagine the potential for sci-fi or action. Imagine watching one of the space scenes from Serenity in glorious 3D.

How could 3-D be used to enhance the storytelling in a serious film then..? I don't understand.

Well to be honest, I don't have a complete answer to that. If I did then I would be a pioneer in film.

You have to remember that for a long time stereo in sound, colour and widescreen were all thought as gimmicks.

Edited by Wesley

Well I went to see My Bloody Valentine a few months back in 3D and whilst the film was usual fair for a horror film and it had some very cringe worthy moments. When the 3D had moments that came out of the screen and at you I definitely felt like it was a gimmick but when they were just wondering around and it helped give that perception of depth like when they went behind a wall or such like. In this way I enjoyed it and I think it helps to add to the experience from a visual point of view makes a well shot scene have that bit more about it.

It will never make a bad film good and if done well can only add to a good film...

If that movie is build around 3D then no. I've seen 3D films that were just a basic plot with a bunch of random opportunities to do some crappy 3D effect in them. Journey to the Center of the earth is a good example. Although, sometimes it can be done well.

Any reason you can't just buy a set of the glasses and have Blu-rays with 3D effects though?

The other thing with the Cinema is they have all the movies much earlier.

Edited by Emasher

I don't think current TV's (HD included) can handle the way 3D films are displayed. I think I understand why, but I'm not sure enough to try and explain.

The only 3D available for normal TVs at the moment are the old red/green method.

I'm planning on seeing Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D this weekend, I'm really looking forward to it.