NEurope

Those things that steal your upgradfes are annoying and took me while to realise it was them which was causing me to lose stuff. Then again, if the hadn't been taking my stuff, I'd have nothing to spend my hearts on.

Oh, so that's where they went? I never worked it out, although I thought they were stealing something. Not a good gameplay mechanic, in my opinion as, like the Eggplant Wizards, they seem designed just to irritate the player.

I think making a pure 2D gameplay focused sequel would have been easy enough but yeah, the conversion to 3D seems more problematic when making design choices. But then I still think they could have gone with platformer with vertical styled levels - heck, they could reuse the Metroid engine again since I'm sure it would work well with the Other M inards.

I almost totally agree (I'm not sure about vertical levels). Putting Kid Icarus into 3D would have been a good opportunity to make a 3rd-person version of Metroid. As you say, similar to Other M, but add analogue control and lock-on.

If I really think about what the core essence of Kid Icarus is (and therefore what to keep) I'd say it's: platforming/exploring, Training Chambers, Sacred Chambers and of course the bosses. From this game, I wouldn't have thought flying was an important part.

On another note, I completed Metroid II. It's a very different take on Metroid. For instance, there are no real bosses (apart from at the end), just Metroids. Also, beams don't stack. New beams totally replace the previous one, which actually causes some difficulty when, say, the Plasma Beam doesn't have all the properties of the Wave Beam. Unusually, you can actually go back and get whichever beam is your favourite.

A few thoughts:

* Though I loved the b&w Game Boy, Metroid II would actually benefit quite a lot from colour, particularly to differentiate the areas. It's a bit of a shame there wasn't a "DX" version.

* It would be better if Save Points replenished your Health and Missiles. There are replenishing points, but they're not always easy to find and therefore I still spent quite a lot of time doing it the slow way.

* Most importantly, it really needed a map. I heard Metroid II was quite linear. Well, maybe, but not linear enough not to need a map.

But overall, I'm really pleased I've played it as most of the Metroid gameplay is in place and it's actually quite "important" story-wise.

Omega Metroid

Metroid Queen

The baby Metroid

On another note, I completed Metroid II. It's a very different take on Metroid. For instance, there are no real bosses (apart from at the end), just Metroids. Also, beams don't stack. New beams totally replace the previous one, which actually causes some difficulty when, say, the Plasma Beam doesn't have all the properties of the Wave Beam. Unusually, you can actually go back and get whichever beam is your favourite.

A few thoughts:

* Though I loved the b&w Game Boy, Metroid II would actually benefit quite a lot from colour, particularly to differentiate the areas. It's a bit of a shame there wasn't a "DX" version.

* It would be better if Save Points replenished your Health and Missiles. There are replenishing points, but they're not always easy to find and therefore I still spent quite a lot of time doing it the slow way.

* Most importantly, it really needed a map. I heard Metroid II was quite linear. Well, maybe, but not linear enough not to need a map.

But overall, I'm really pleased I've played it as most of the Metroid gameplay is in place and it's actually quite "important" story-wise.

It does sound quite important, and is still the only game in the franchise i havent played. Once i clear my backlog i think ill download this and give it a spin. Approximately how long did it take you to beat Grazza? And are there any special endings for getting all the collectibles in this one?

It does sound quite important, and is still the only game in the franchise i havent played. Once i clear my backlog i think ill download this and give it a spin. Approximately how long did it take you to beat Grazza? And are there any special endings for getting all the collectibles in this one?

It took me 6-7 hours, so I just missed out on the 2nd-best ending, but missed out on the bikini ending by a long way! (It seems bikinis are a hot topic, these days!)

Basically, there are endings for 9+ hours, 6+, 3+ and less than 3. But none for collectables, apparently.

Yep, totally agreed. Hope it gets a Zero Mission style update soon. Would also settle for a 3D Classics update though seems unlikely at this point since the GC version is available. Maybe in a few years.

I don't think it's that linear, there was certainly plenty of exploring (and getting lost). I would like a map but I fear it would cut down the length of the game dramatically. If they remake it they would probably have to new areas and Metroids to hunt. Then again Zero Mission and Fusion are only a couple of hours long and they are perfectly fine.

Worst thing about the game was the music. It was unbearable at times.

Yep, totally agreed. Hope it gets a Zero Mission style update soon. Would also settle for a 3D Classics update though seems unlikely at this point since the GC version is available. Maybe in a few years.

A 3D Classics version of Metroid II? Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if they branch out from NES games. I remember hearing about a potential 3D Classics version of Link to the Past. If that happens, of course there are loads of other SNES games that should get the treatment too. And indeed, NES games. If there is ever a (free) 3D Classics version of Metroid, I would replace my Virtual Console version with it.

Best option of all would be Metroid V on the 3DS, with really good 2D graphics, then a remake of Metroid II on that engine. Add Zero Mission, Fusion and Super Metroid (either SNES or 3D Classics) on the Virtual Console and you'd have the perfect 2D Metroid machine.

I don't think it's that linear, there was certainly plenty of exploring (and getting lost). I would like a map but I fear it would cut down the length of the game dramatically. If they remake it they would probably have to new areas and Metroids to hunt. Then again Zero Mission and Fusion are only a couple of hours long and they are perfectly fine.

The way I see it, it'd just help players get that sub-3 hour completion time.

That depends on whether the assets to Other M belong to Nintendo or Team Ninja, and even if it did belong to Nintendo they still might not let Sakurai's team (Sora, was it?) use it since they're not first-party developers.

I thought of that when I was posting but yeah, it is a matter of who owns the engine. If Nintendo does retain the right to the code, then I bet they'd give it Sakurai if he wanted it. Besides, Nintendo owns so much of Sora that they are for all intents and purposes first party. What Sakurai wants, Sakurai gets if it means he'll carry on making Smash Bros. games.

Oh, so that's where they went? I never worked it out, although I thought they were stealing something. Not a good gameplay mechanic, in my opinion as, like the Eggplant Wizards, they seem designed just to irritate the player.

I felt there were a few things in the game that aren't really explained. Maybe I should have checked the manual but either way, it's not particularly obvious. I don't think it even made a noise to say it happened.

I almost totally agree (I'm not sure about vertical levels). Putting Kid Icarus into 3D would have been a good opportunity to make a 3rd-person version of Metroid. As you say, similar to Other M, but add analogue control and lock-on.

If I really think about what the core essence of Kid Icarus is (and therefore what to keep) I'd say it's: platforming/exploring, Training Chambers, Sacred Chambers and of course the bosses. From this game, I wouldn't have thought flying was an important part.

I'm not saying all the levels have to be vertical platformers but there could be some like that - as long as you don't fall to the very bottom if you mess up a jump or get knocked off of a ledge. But the ability to have a wide variety of platforming challenges with a solid combat mechanic really reminded me of Other M (recently done a run through and am feeling the love for it).

The flying level was the worst level in the game by a country mile so to make it a focus is a bit strange and yet it's understandable too when you consider it's the thing most cappable of capitalising on the 3D aspects of the console.

Nintendo did start work on a version for the GBC but it was never finished. A hack version does exist on the internet though. Having just glanced over the wiki entry, it mentions a rather interesting article in which it is stated that the GBC colour palette was specifically chosen to give the colours required for a Metroid game.

As for Beam handling, it's like that in the original Metroid where you can't have both the Wave Beam and Ice Beam active at once unless you use the cheat password that gives both effects.

little heads up. theres quite a lot of updates available from the eshop, most of them are the VC games.

Edited by -Dem0-

VVVVVV

Nicalis, Inc.

Nice.

Well that's just great! I have yet to decide what to buy with the leftover money of my first elusive eShop card (Mighty Switch or Zenball) and then this comes along?! :heh:

I've played a demo of this a while ago and this

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
was one of the tracks. It's going to be tough, I mean, I can recognise a bit of Ryu's and Guile's themes in there:hehe:

From Nintendolife:

Gamelion Studios is bringing its popular mobile game SpeedX 3D to the 3DS eShop.

The tunnel racer has racked up over 10 million downloads on iOS, Android and other operating systems, and a new version is on the way to 3DS later this year.

The concept is simple: race as far as possible down a brightly coloured — psychedelic, even — tunnel, which is sure to make the most of the console's 3D display.

Gamelion is submitting the game for Nintendo of Europe approval soon, so we expect to find out more in the coming weeks.

http://3dsware.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/exclusive_speedx_3d_racing_to_3ds_eshop

Has anyone tried the CRUSH3D Demo yet?
Yeah, I played through it earlier. Quite a nice concept and it seems to play well enough, but its design/art style etc, is just horrific. :shakehead

Perhaps that's a bit shallow of me, but it really is off-putting. :nono: Especially going into it after something as visually superb as Revelations, and being aware that the 3DS is capable of so much better.

Might keep an eye out for it in the bargain bin though. :blank:

I downloaded Kirby’s Block Ball today as well. :) Never played it before, but it looked like the kind of game I'd really enjoy. And I've definitely been enjoying it so far. :bouncy:

nice to hear your views, I've been watching this game for a while. I think it's my general love for a good puzzler that's leading me though. I'm looking forward to trying it now!

eShop Update

After a couple of pretty lackluster weeks, the eShop kicks things into high gear once again.

3DS Demo: Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Yup, that's correct we'll be getting the demo this Thursday! so if anyone's on the fence then they can try it out (although I've already pre-ordered)

This week we'll also be seeing Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 after his debut in SML 2, Wario's got the game for himself this week for a ?3.60 tag.

3DS VC Software Update

Also Super Mario Bros. has received an update; suspend points. This is one of the ambassador games that were given to the 3DS early adopters. apparently the other titles are to follow soon, although nothing else has been mentioned as of yet.

EDIT: All of the Ambassador games have an update, strangely enough the "Ambassador Certificate has an update aswell. since these games are not sold to the public at the moment, the only way to update them is by going to the "Titles you've Downloaded" section on the eShop under settings.

I'll be helping myself to Wario Land & the Demo. what about you guys?

Edited by -Dem0-

Will be downloading Wario Land since I've only played it sequels. I'll check out the demo as well.

Also Super Mario Bros. has received an update; suspend points. This is one of the ambassador games that were given to the 3DS early adopters. apparently the other titles are to follow soon, although nothing else has been mentioned as of yet.

Did we get an updated icon as well?

I haven't checked yet, but im on my 3DS right now, updating.

Did we get an updated icon as well?

Ah yes we have, but it's for Super Mario Bros. only at the moment, however it does look really nice! it shows the NES console with a TV :D

Edited by -Dem0-
Automerged Doublepost

Ah yes we have, but it's for Super Mario Bros. only at the moment, however it does look really nice! it shows the NES console with a TV :D
I just finished updating everything that had an update available on my list, was a lot of stuff... :zzz:

Weird how all of the NES games had updates, but only Mario Bros. has the new icon/VC features. :hmm:

Are the updates actually worth it? Haven't updated anything (don't pullbox and zen pinball have them too?)

Are the updates actually worth it? Haven't updated anything (don't pullbox and zen pinball have them too?)
Well let's see, I updated:

Pullblox

Freakyforms

Eurosport video app

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

3D Classics: Excitebike

Pok?dex 3D

Ambassador Certificate

All 10 NES games

And the only thing that had a noticeable difference afterwards is Super Mario Bros. ::shrug:

So no, not worth it. :heh:

I did most of those updates via SleepMode download, but even setting that up takes quite a while, as you have to keep going back to your downloaded titles list every time. :indeed:

How's about a download all updates button, Nintendo? :idea:

I did most of those updates via SleepMode download, but even setting that up takes quite a while, as you have to keep going back to your downloaded titles list every time. :indeed:

It automatically went back to my list for me?

It automatically went back to my list for me?
Yeah same here, but I mean you still need to then scroll through and select each download individually. :zzz:

Not exactly the most streamlined system is it?

Nope, but it's better than before when it just dumps you onto the main shop screen.

eShop Update

I'll be helping myself to Wario Land & the Demo. what about you guys?

Thanks for the heads-up, demo, it's much appreciated.

Nothing for me this week though. I got Kirby's Block Ball last week and it's a fun little game that can be played in short bursts or longer. It's a good game if you're into the arkanoid/break-out genre. Highly recommended!

Incidentally, do people care to submit ratings for their games on the eshop or is it only a few of us who remember or care? For example, there are only two people who have rated Kirby's Block Ball and only nine who've rated the mighty popular GB Tetris game at this moment - surely the games most have sold well already by now - so was just wondering. Or are the eshop games not really that popular among 3DS owners after all perhaps?