NEurope

Nice news. Wouldn't mind reading something about DQ: Wars as I know nothing about how it works other than its a strategy DQ game.

Not sure myself, here's the official press release:

In Dragon Quest Wars, players control a team of up to four monsters at a time. That team is selected from a larger group of six monsters so players will need to choose and plan their strategies carefully before each battle as each monster has a unique feature and ability! A player can win a battle either when all enemy units are defeated or if one of their units crosses into an enemy's base.

Monster squads can be assembled from the following six recruits--er, monsters below. Players will need to learn their strengths and weaknesses in order to gain an advantage on the battlefield.

Slime: A mighty monster with a well balanced skill set. Slime can cast the magical “Frizz” in addition to a normal physical attack.

Abilities:

· Attack

o Deals 1 point of physical damage.

· Frizz

o Deals 1 point of spell damage.

· Defend

o Reduces physical damage by 1 point.

Golem: A powerful monster with lots hit points who can use “Body Slam” which deals huge damage to an opponent . He can also save allies with a sacrificing move.

Abilities:

· Body Slam

o Deals 2 points of physical damage, but the user loses 1 HP.

· Selflessness

o Shields an ally from an incoming attack by moving to their square.

· Defend

o Reduces physical damage by 1 point.

Hammerhood: Can use a wide-range attack which is able to damage multiple targets at once. Also has the ability to self-heal.

Abilities:

· Party Pooper

o Deals physical damage across three squares.

· Counter

o Blocks an enemy's attack and deals 1 damage.

· Meditation

o Heals 1 HP before the beginning of the following round.

Healslime: Weak and unable to attack, but features a slew of helpful spells to heal and support his team.

Abilities:

· Heal

o Restores 1 HP to the caster or an adjacent monster.

· Kabuff

o Reduces damage dealt by physical attacks by 1 for the caster and monsters in adjacent squares. Only effective once per round.

· Kafizzle

o Seals any Frizz, Sizz, Crack, or Heal spells within three squares of the caster.

Chimaera: A good defensive monster, he can block physical attacks and spells as well as deal damage from a distance with “Sizz.”

Abilities:

· Sizz

o Deals spell damage in one direction over two squares.

· Bounce

o Throws the effects of Frizz, Sizz, Crack, or Heal back at the enemy.

· Dodge

o Prevents damage from a physical attack.

Dracky: Has a superior range of movement and is very useful for reaching enemy goal zones. He can also attack diagonally with the spell “Crack.”

Abilities:

· Shove

o Deals 1 point of physical damage, and knocks the target back one square.

· Crack

o Deals spell damage to a square diagonal from the caster.

· Oomph

o Increases the damage dealt by any physical attack except Shove.

And a trailer:

Reminds me of PSO Episode 3.

Thanks for that Ike. Got some other info from 1Up:

The first ever Dragon Quest downloadable title (that isn't for a Japanese cell phone) is a symbol of Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii's renewed alliance with Nintendo. Dragon Quest Wars is a strategy game for DSiWare published by Square Enix and developed by Nintendo's Intelligent Systems, a group known for the highly acclaimed Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series. Though, DQW is a bit different than those other console strategy games, it still retains a simple, yet deep, strategy base.

You use your four-creature team to defeat opponents by either beating them to a pulp or getting one of your team members to a designated goal area. Every match lets you select from six different monsters, and they're all balanced differently with varied offensive and defensive powers. Each one has a specific role to play in the group, and by getting your team to work together, you can turn a normal fighter into a one-monster wrecking crew. There are no restrictions on your team's composition, so, if you want, you can pick four healers (like the Hoimi slimes) -- you won't be able to attack, but who knows, it might work. My personal strategy was to pick 4 Golems and just mow through the opposition.

The tutorial gently guides you through the basic game rules and teaches you all about the various monsters available in the single-player and multiplayer modes (over Wi-Fi or DS Wireless). The meat of the game, though, lies in the two battle modes. You play 1-on-1 matches on a small 5x5 grid just like in the tutorial mode. Survival mode, however, pits four teams against one another on a much larger 7x7 grid. In this mode, you can do any team combination (3-on-1 or 2-on-2), or you can just set all teams to AI and watch the battle unfold.

Dragon Quest Wars is very much a board game in videogame form. In fact, I wish they would turn this into a board game, because it might even be more fun that way. Until then, there's a 500 Nintendo Point downloadable title out there that's definitely worth a pick up, even if you don't have friends to play it with.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174926

Still no DQ Wars :(

Is A little bit of Puzzle League (I think that's the name) worth getting?

Edited by Ike

Still no DQ Wars :(

Is A little bit of Puzzle League (I think that's the name) worth getting?

Forget puzzle league you should give the new Art Style game a go. Art Style; INTERSECT is a remake of the GBA Bit generations game Digdrive. It's not made by the same company but they captured the feel of the GBA version really well.

It features 3 modes Endless, VS CPU and VS 2P.

Endless mode challenges you to last as long as possible. Reaching set distances will award you with either a bronze, silver or gold medal (Good for unlocking extra difficulty settings, music and themes)

VP CPU is where you battle the CPU, best out of 3 games you can earn a silver or gold medal here.

VP 2p is a downloadable option.

I'd suggest everyone should check it out. :)

DQ: Wars is out tomorrow.

More exciting is DSiWare game Dragon Quest Wars: a turn-based multiplayer take on the Dragon Quest series. This costs 500 DSi Points (approx. £4.50/€5).

DQ: Wars is out tomorrow.

At last. I shall be downloading it tonight/tomorrow.

So Bomberman is out. Anyone getting it?! Tempted, but only worth it for multiplayer.

Also, does anyone know if you can multiplayer with it with only one of you having it? (locally)

So Bomberman is out. Anyone getting it?! Tempted, but only worth it for multiplayer.

Also, does anyone know if you can multiplayer with it with only one of you having it? (locally)

It has Single player, local multiplayer and online multiplayer. I'll post my FC later.

So now that I actually have my DSi finally, is there anything worth buying off the DSi store yet?

Just FlipNote Studio, which is free.

Not bad for 9 months. :p

So now that I actually have my DSi finally, is there anything worth buying off the DSi store yet?

Like Rez says, get Flipnote Studio as its cool and free!

There's also an art thing which might be pretty decent if its the same thing I think it is and gaming wise, check out Mighty Flip Champs.

Yep, Flipnote Studio is a must. icon14.gif

But if you want to buy something then I'd highly recommend PiCOPiCT.

And if you don't mind getting severely ripped-off, WarioWare: Snapped is very good fun... for all of five minutes. :angry:

Those are the only DSiWare titles I have, so can't comment on anything else.

Reflect Missile looks like it might be all right though.

Nintendo seriously need to start beefing up the DSiWare service I reckon, other that the titles already mentioned it be pretty disappointing at the moment. icon13.gif

Let us hope they'll reveal a virtual console for handheld games at E3 :D

They can't deny this awesome idea! Fans are screaming for it!

Let us hope they'll reveal a virtual console for handheld games at E3 :D

They can't deny this awesome idea! Fans are screaming for it!

Exactly, that one is like such a no-brainer for Nintendo. ::shrug:

It's simply guaranteed to print (even more) money. :laughing:

The Art Style games are the best the DSi shop has to offer at the moment but it's a mixed bag.

Art Style Intersect is my personnal fave, it has excellent music, cool coloured themes and a real pick up and play feel.

While Flipnote studio is free I got bored with it pretty quickly. It's not really suitable for short bursts of fun, it takes times and patience to create a real flip book masterpiece- something which won't be to everyones taste.

Uno is also worth checking out and possibly Bomberman if you play online a lot or know someone else with a copy of the game.

-----

I wish NOE would consider adding GBC games for download via the DSi store.

Ive given up all hope of a good game to spend my 1000 points on :hmm:

I've not downloaded it but Mighty Flip Champs is meant to be good.

Dark Void Zero is supposed to be out next week (5th March).

Right enough. Do you know offhand how many points it costs?

Right enough. Do you know offhand how many points it costs?

It's 500 points, which seems OK for a 2-hour-ish game.

The DSi shop is SO terribly laid out, slow and hard to navigate, I don't even bother anymore. It's painful.